CPU & GPU compatibility question

Telepath

Hello,

I'm trying to put together a high end mobile workstation and I've hit a roadblock. I had intended to include a Quadro P4200 and an i9-9900K but I am being told by the vendor that the two are not compatible and am instead being directed towards the i7-8700K. 

Might anybody be able to explain why this may be? It seems odd to me that an NVIDIA GPU would be compatible with one Intel CPU and not a newer one with the same microarchitecture.

Please feel free to ELI5, I'm far from a computer guru.

Thanks in advance!

~T

sounds like the Vendor is talking out his bum. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Yep that's a complete lie. Vendor either somehow doesn't know that or is trying to get rid of old stock.

Edit:

Wait what do you mean by Quadro P4200 and a 9900K/8700K? A P4200 is a laptop GPU and the other two are desktop processors.

Edit2:

In this case the vendor is right. There aren't 9000 series laptop chips out right now. There might be i9 options for the laptop (8950 for example), but there aren't any 9000 series chips.

Edit3:

Desktop chip in a mobile workstation? The motherboard might not support the 9900K, either because there isn't a BIOS update for it or its incredibly high power draw. I'm just going to stop talking I've confused myself.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

6 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Yep that's a complete lie. Vendor either somehow doesn't know that or is trying to get rid of old stock.

Edit:

Wait what do you mean by Quadro P4200 and a 9900K/8700K? A P4200 is a laptop GPU and the other two are desktop processors.

Edit2:

In this case the vendor is right. There aren't 9000 series laptop chips out right now. There might be i9 options for the laptop (8950 for example), but there aren't any 9000 series chips.

The laptop is marketed as a "desktop based notebook workstation". It has a desktop socket for the CPU. He's offering me an 8700k which, as far as know, only reinforces that. 

I configured the laptop with their online configuration tool and it allowed me to select the hardware so it seems like their may be some disconnect somewhere. 

3 minutes ago, Telepath said:

The laptop is marketed as a "desktop based notebook workstation". It has a desktop socket for the CPU. He's offering me an 8700k which, as far as know, only reinforces that. 

I configured the laptop with their online configuration tool and it allowed me to select the hardware so it seems like their may be some disconnect somewhere. 

If I had to guess at a reason then I would say the GPUs are soldered to the motherboards and the board that happens to have a P4200 on it doesn't support the 9900K.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

13 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

If I had to guess at a reason then I would say the GPUs are soldered to the motherboards and the board that happens to have a P4200 on it doesn't support the 9900K.

I think I'll reach out to the vendor and inquire. I didn't want to call them out before at least confirming that I wasnt being a total moron.

They even have the same socket so I am afraid that if the board doesn't support the 9900K I'll end up paying for the 8700K and then find out it doesn't support that either.

2 minutes ago, Telepath said:

I think I'll reach out to the vendor and inquire. I didn't want to call them out before at least confirming that I wasnt being a total moron.

They even have the same socket so I am afraid that if the board doesn't support the 9900K I'll end up paying for the 8700K and then find out it doesn't support that either.

Like I mentioned earlier, I would bet it's either BIOS incompatibility or it just can't deliver enough power. It might be worth checking to see what is supported with the 9900K or even 9700K, since that might be better for whatever use case you have.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Laptop:

Laptops produce a lot of heat. It could be that the i9 setup will produce to much heat and they only have a thermal solution for the i7.

30 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Laptops produce a lot of heat. It could be that the i9 setup will produce to much heat and they only have a thermal solution for the i7.

This is my best guess, Intel advertises the same TDP for both chips but Intel says a lot of things