Scythe Fuma vs Noctua NH-D15 vs your suggestions

leyo96

Hello,

I'm building my first pc, my components so far are these (I'm overclocking):

-MSI z370 gaming pro carbon
-Intel I7 8700k (delid)
-Asus RTX 2080 Dual OC

I was feeling super confidente in picking the Noctua as my cooler but on another post a guy suggested me the Scythe as he says it has the same performances at a lower price and slimmer profile.

Prices in italy:
-Noctua NH-D15 90€
-Scythe Fuma 54€

I don't really care if it is a little bit louder if I can spend way less money, I just care about cooling power.

What would you suggest me between these two or any other cooler?

Thank you!

D15S is 80 euros go with that instaed 

(its the same as the d15 in cooling power, push pull does not work on air coolers efficiently)

The Fuma performs as well or better with overtightening although I wouldn't recommend it with the 8700k's thinner pcb. With normal tightening, it's similar or slightly worse. https://www.overclockers.com/scythe-fuma-heatsink-review/

Both are great and hard to go wrong with.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Get the NH D15.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Get the NH D15.

Why would you say so?

4 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

D15S is 80 euros go with that instaed 

(its the same as the d15 in cooling power, push pull does not work on air coolers efficiently)

Why is it worth the extra 35€ over the Scythe Fuma?

2 minutes ago, leyo96 said:

Why would you say so?

Because it's reliable, tried and true.

Easy to install, great quality, quiet, and best performance from an air cooler.

There's a reason that thousands of people buy it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, leyo96 said:

Why is it worth the extra 35€ over the Scythe Fuma?

fuma_revb_spl.png

Actually since you don't care about noise I guess the fuma is ok

fuma_revb_temps.png

After all it'll probably get clockspeed with 0.1ghz or less of the D15 because of voltage curve. 

47 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

fuma_revb_spl.png

Actually since you don't care about noise I guess the fuma is ok

fuma_revb_temps.png

After all it'll probably get clockspeed with 0.1ghz or less of the D15 because of voltage curve. 

Well the noctua seems way cooler from this graph, isn't it? 

4 minutes ago, leyo96 said:

Well the noctua seems way cooler from this graph, isn't it? 

Yes, but 1.325v (Fuma's limit) and 1.4v (every cooler's limit because 1.4v and above can lead to silicon degradation on Intel) correlates to a 0.1ghz or less difference.

11 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

Yes, but 1.325v (Fuma's limit) and 1.4v (every cooler's limit because 1.4v and above can lead to silicon degradation on Intel) correlates to a 0.1ghz or less difference.

Oh ok, thank you! I'm not so expert yet. So running at 1.325v at 69 vs 75 °C changes nothing, right? 

1 hour ago, leyo96 said:

Oh ok, thank you! I'm not so expert yet. So running at 1.325v at 69 vs 75 °C changes nothing, right? 

yes