PC Freezes While Playing Games

b3djack

Ever since I have upgraded my GPU to a used rx560 4gb asus rog strix, my PC has been freezing in games after playing for a long time. I have to stop playing for a while for it to not freeze again after playing the game for 5 minutes.

The screen goes black, the audio resumes playing for 0-3 seconds and then turns into  a constant static (a loud, glitchy zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu sound)

The fans keep spinning. I can do nothing except hold down the power button.

My GPU's bracket came bent, which was not that big of a deal but could be a sign that it was dropped. (gpu seller had 3 of the same gpus and was selling them for 1/3 price off)

I immediately suspected that it was my PSU since it was low quality. I replaced it with a corsair CX450M but the problem persisted.

I noticed my CPU temps were high, i replaced thermal paste, temps went low and yet the problem still persisted.

My GPU temps are fine.

I want to know, is this due to my GPU? What can I do to solve this? What component is causing this issue?

PC specs (no overclock in anything)

i5-760

asus maximus iii formula

rx560 4gb asus rog strix

2x4gb corsair xms3 ddr3 ram

2x2 ddr3 cheap ram

1X outtake fan

corsair cx450m 450w PSU

mx100 512gb crucial ssd

1tb samsung hdd

12 minutes ago, b3djack said:

Ever since I have upgraded my GPU to a used rx560 4gb asus rog strix, my PC has been freezing in games after playing for a long time. I have to stop playing for a while for it to not freeze again after playing the game for 5 minutes.

The screen goes black, the audio resumes playing for 0-3 seconds and then turns into  a constant static (a loud, glitchy zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu sound)

The fans keep spinning. I can do nothing except hold down the power button.

My GPU's bracket came bent, which was not that big of a deal but could be a sign that it was dropped. (gpu seller had 3 of the same gpus and was selling them for 1/3 price off)

I immediately suspected that it was my PSU since it was low quality. I replaced it with a corsair CX450M but the problem persisted.

I noticed my CPU temps were high, i replaced thermal paste, temps went low and yet the problem still persisted.

My GPU temps are fine.

I want to know, is this due to my GPU? What can I do to solve this? What component is causing this issue?

PC specs (no overclock in anything)

i5-760

asus maximus iii formula

rx560 4gb asus rog strix

2x4gb corsair xms3 ddr3 ram

2x2 ddr3 cheap ram

1X outtake fan

corsair cx450m 450w PSU

mx100 512gb crucial ssd

1tb samsung hdd

I am going to say with confidence that you need to upgrade that ram and your problem should be fixed.

I would definitely go and try just running the 4gb sticks without the 2gb sticks. I would also try uninstalling your video drivers using DDU(display driver uninstaller) and then reinstall the drivers. 

Its possible the BIOs isn't good and poops after a while.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

On 2/22/2019 at 5:21 PM, LukeTheCoder05 said:

Its possible the BIOs isn't good and poops after a while.

yes, this is possibly true, i will look into it.

On 2/22/2019 at 5:17 PM, Brooksie359 said:

I would definitely go and try just running the 4gb sticks without the 2gb sticks. I would also try uninstalling your video drivers using DDU(display driver uninstaller) and then reinstall the drivers. 

I updated bios and removed 2gb sticks of ram, didnt fix the issue

updating bios does make the freezing a lot rarer