are those cheap SSD's good?

LukeNukem9

Im wondering if the "generic" brand of SSD (adata, etc) if there good as a game drive. My current config is:

SP M.2 sata3 120GB = boot & fast crap

SanDisk sata3 SSD 240GB = Mostly games

Samsung sata3(or 2? idk) HDD 320GB = VM's and backup.

I am planning on getting a new game SSD so i wondered if these were a good option.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

Just now, LukeTheCoder05 said:

Im wondering if the "generic" brand of SSD (adata, etc) if there good as a game drive. My current config is:

SP M.2 sata3 120GB = boot & fast crap

SanDisk sata3 SSD 240GB = Mostly games

Samsung sata3(or 2? idk) HDD 320GB = VM's and backup.

I am planning on getting a new game SSD so i wondered if these were a good option.

what's your ssd budget

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

Just now, MrMcMuffinJr said:

what's your ssd budget

20-35 dollars US

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

Yes. For a game drive, cheaper, generic drives are fine. We use one at my school for gaming club to store VR games. Only reason people blast them and say they suck is because as an OS drive they'll be slammed with writes, potentially reducing their lifespan faster if they are a DRAMless SSD(most cheap/generic ones are. Wouldn't call ADATA generic though). Do some research on any models you look at and check r/buildapcsales. Basically everyday there's SSD deals posted there and people giving input on them, their stats, past experience with the brand/model etc...

If you are on a budget then they are a reasonable choice. Once you get into higher storage amounts then I tend to lean toward the nicer models because the price difference begins to narrow. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

If you are on a budget then they are a reasonable choice. Once you get into higher storage amounts then I tend to lean toward the nicer models because the price difference begins to narrow. 

Right because i could get a 240GB adata drive for $30ish or a Samsung 850 EVO 240GB for $60ish dollars.

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

4 minutes ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

Right because i could get a 240GB adata drive for $30ish or a Samsung 850 EVO 240GB for $60ish dollars.

You can get a 500gb mx500 which is roughly equivalent to a evo 860 for 67 dollars so yeah that ssd makes little sense. 

Adata isn't that generic... Linus used to work with them in the past. 

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

crucial bx500 shall work well on budget

the problem with  "generic" brand  is when they really do wrong and you have to support for it. if that doesnt matters you, get cheapest ones