Is the Lenovo Legion Y740 upgradable?

Bonzay0

I bought the Lenovo Legion Y740 17" with the RTX 2070 to be my on the go gaming laptop. (Will also bring it with me for LTX19 BYOC)

I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade the hard drive and the m.2 SSD in it without removing any "void if removed" stickers.

Also what the specs of the drives needs to be? (Can I put NVMe inside or just normal sata SSD? Do I need 2.5" HDD or can I use 3.5"?)

I checked Lenovo website, couldn't find any information of this kind.

10 hours ago, Bonzay0 said:

it is possible to upgrade the hard drive and the m.2 SSD in it without removing any "void if removed" stickers

No need to care about those stickers. Just open it up

Can I put NVMe inside or just normal sata SSD? Do I need 2.5" HDD or can I use 3.5"?

1. May I take a look at the config you've ordered?

2. Most laptops with drive bay only supports 2.5 inch instead of 3.5 inch

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

It really just depends on your region. Contact a Lenovo rep for your region and ask what they deem acceptable realistically they can enforce this by saying anything else is "user damage".

That being said most brands in most regions allow you to upgrade ram and hdd/ssd on your own. 

15 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

No need to care about those stickers. Just open it up

1. May I take a look at the config you've ordered?

2. Most laptops with drive bay only supports 2.5 inch instead of 3.5 inch

1) Y740-17ICHg 81HH0036IV

2) that's what I thought as well.

I'm looking more towards the SSD as I want it to be bigger than 512GB.

But I'm unsure how many m.2 slots there are and what kind of m.2 slots they are.

It really just depends on your region. Contact a Lenovo rep for your region and ask what they deem acceptable realistically they can enforce this by saying anything else is "user damage".

That being said most brands in most regions allow you to upgrade ram and hdd/ssd on your own. 

My country is a bit weird in this area.. as long as the person I'm giving the laptop is nice he will not say: "user damage" but if I fall on someone on his 8th hour or on a sour mood... You know the rest.

Now I know for sure that if it isn't any damage from my side then they will fix it if there is a problem, but I want to be on the safe side.

1) Y740-17ICHg 81HH0036IV

It has 2.5 inch HDD and M.2 SSD out of the box. If you want to add SSD you need to take out the HDD and put in a 2.5 inch SATA SSD

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

3 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

It has 2.5 inch HDD and M.2 SSD out of the box. If you want to add SSD you need to take out the HDD and put in a 2.5 inch SATA SSD

I'm leaning towards replacing the m.2 drive. Do you know if it's NVMe slot or just a regular SATA one?

8 hours ago, Bonzay0 said:

I'm leaning towards replacing the m.2 drive. Do you know if it's NVMe slot or just a regular SATA one?

It is listed as nvme in the platform specifications.

As to whether it's worth it or not, unless you have a specific  use case for it, there is not a big enough difference to notice in the real world.

1 hour ago, markr54632 said:

It is listed as nvme in the platform specifications.

As to whether it's worth it or not, unless you have a specific  use case for it, there is not a big enough difference to notice in the real world.

It's more to play it safe, if for example I get a good deal for m.2 nvme than lets say a SATA m.2...

Basically that's it.

Now it's time to find me some deals :)

Legion Y520/Y720/Y530/Y730/Y540/Y740 only supports NVMe M.2 drive. SATA M.2 won't work. No idea why but that's it

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

12 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Legion Y520/Y720/Y530/Y730/Y540/Y740 only supports NVMe M.2 drive. SATA M.2 won't work. No idea why but that's it

Really? That's weird.

In the y540 specifications chart they list a 2242 128gb sata option, but with Lenovo bios being what it is I could see them blacklisting sata m.2 drives.