Win 10 Versions and NAS

Longbow1

OK, my question is:

i have file server running win 10 home (from a win 7 home key).  I have another pc running win 7 home.  I want to backup files to from the win 7 home pc to the win 10 home server.  I know that i will have to upgrade the win 7 home pc to at least win 7 pro or win 10 pro to use network backup, but will i need to upgrade the file server from win 10 home to pro as well, or will the home version work since the data is inbound and not outbound?

Thanks again for the help

You can back-up a W7 home machine fine, you might just need to switch backup software.

That said, windows backup is present in W7 Home, so you can just use that to backup to a share on the W10 fileserver. Just make sure you've mapped the share as a network drive.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

But win 7 will not allow a network location for the build it win backup software, only local one :(  And quite frankly i hate 3rd party software.  I found some old win 7 ultimate keys that i am going to use to upgrade the win 10 home server to pro and then the same on the win 7 home pc.  The free win 10 upgrade from win 7 still works!!  :)   Hopefully everything activate properly.

Thanks for you help

Give Veeam a try, its free, and can backup to any network path.  I use it for daily snapshots of my main workstation and server to a NAS.  You can configure when full backups occur and how long to keep snapshots.

https://www.veeam.com/windows-endpoint-server-backup-free.html

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

On 2/21/2019 at 10:33 PM, Slayerking92 said:

Give Veeam a try, its free, and can backup to any network path.  I use it for daily snapshots of my main workstation and server to a NAS.  You can configure when full backups occur and how long to keep snapshots.

https://www.veeam.com/windows-endpoint-server-backup-free.html

Yes. Simply create an account, download an install the FREE Veeam client, set up a backup and select a network share as the destination.

That software is enterprise grade.