best solution for house with thick walls for wifi

andyme

I have been reading about powerline vs wifi range extenders seems powerline is the best but mesh would be 200 to 300 dollars is there no other option than running a 30ft cable from router to desktop any ideas would be awesome

6 minutes ago, andyme said:

I have been reading about powerline vs wifi range extenders seems powerline is the best but mesh would be 200 to 300 dollars is there no other option than running a 30ft cable from router to desktop any ideas would be awesome

how old is your house?

I wouldn't use an extender because it takes the same distant low power signal depending on distance from ap and transmits it at the same reduced power

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

to say in the first place: that 30m cable will be the best. i personally have a good mesh setup, but my wired connections will always do better.

powerline is highly dependent on your house's electric installation and the interference, so it can be either almost as good to even worse than your wifi, and mesh is in my opinion good, as i have a 3 part set that communicated between reinforced concrete floors, but it'll set you down around 200 dollars to have the same set

running a cable might be your simplest solution tbh. it's not difficult to hide a cable. if this is definitely relating to wifi and multiple devices throughout the house, mesh would be good as stated above.

Powerline not a reliable solution, the signal is often disturbed by other devices.

The best solution is wired extension, you wired up 2 routers or access point to the other room.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Powerline not a reliable solution, the signal is often disturbed by other devices.

The best solution is wired extension, you wired up 2 routers or access point to the other room.

do you mean use two routers as a bridge with wires or through wifi

Yes in a wired bridge, one as the router running the dhcp and one act as an wifi access point.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

If you have Coax cabling from one end to another in your house, you can use Moca Adapters.

You can pick them up from Amazon for about 200$ per pair. I also sell them on ebay but I'm not going to advertise it here.

Currently running with a MacBook Pro 14 2021, may build or pick up a gaming laptop again in the future. 

5 minutes ago, Stevensl2 said:

If you have Coax cabling from one end to another in your house, you can use Moca Adapters.

You can pick them up from Amazon for about 200$ per pair. I also sell them on ebay but I'm not going to advertise it here.

Parts of my house are over 100 years old walls are 3 inchs thick in places so only thing in walls is stone

1 minute ago, andyme said:

Parts of my house are over 100 years old walls are 3 inchs thick in places so only thing in walls is stone

Where do you live? Looks like you'll have to run cables friend

Currently running with a MacBook Pro 14 2021, may build or pick up a gaming laptop again in the future. 

sorry misunderstood there coax cabling same as cat6 cable so no real differnce i would need a shit load of either cable

1 minute ago, Stevensl2 said:

Where do you live? Looks like you'll have to run cables friend

I live in Ireland problem with cable is hiding it would be a massive pain 

Powerline is cheap, probs do that

If you have central air, you could run cables through the ductwork.

There's always the option of drilling holes between rooms along the base of the exterrior wall so you don't have to deal with doorframes / hallways.

Depending on the material of your house, either run the cable through the walls up to the attic/roof and back down into the desired room. Or if solid walls, then drill a hole up through to the attic and use conduit to make it look nice.

If your internet service is DSL or Cable, move the modem to the room you want a faster connection to and force everyone else to use wifi.