Laptop not charging when games are being played

I have an Alienware 17r3 with the gtx 980m its runs good until I start to run any game it just stop charging all together .

3 minutes ago, 876mafia said:

I have an Alienware 17r3 with the gtx 980m its runs good until I start to run any game it just stop charging all together .

are you using the original power brick it came with? cuz i think it might be that its using up too much power that the power brick can't handle it.. i had this happen to me on my old laptop.. i had a laptop where it would not charge while im gaming but charge when im not.. i bought a new brick with the same voltage but higher amperage and the problem was no more.. 

I don't think it is but when I looked it up this laptop should use an 240w and the charger that I'm using now clams that's what it is but ill try and buy an original power brick.

Well if your laptop is using 240W and the charger is 240W then 240 - 240 = 0

No wonder it's not charging when playing games...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I mean is doesn't even says its plugged in when I load games 

doesnt alienware use proprietary plugs for their chargers? anyways, double check if the one your using is supposed to be for that model of your laptop..

but when on normal use it says its plugged in? if so, then maybe your charger is not providing enough power cuz that's exactly the problem i had.. when i did nothing, the charging indicator would light up but whenever i played anything too intensive on it the charging indicator would not light up anymore

yes that is exactly what's going on with right now I'm going look around for the right charger now. Hopefully that the problem 

care to check the voltage, amperage, and total watts and compare it your own.. you'd want to see the same volage but higher amperage and total watts (correct me if someone knows better than me) and that should alleviate your problem

okay thank you I will make sure to check that first 

12 hours ago, 876mafia said:

okay thank you I will make sure to check that first 

That is a 250w charger. That model had alot of issues with the dc in cable and port frying. It's like a 5-10 dollar part and not soldered!

1 hour ago, markr54632 said:

That is a 250w charger. That model had alot of issues with the dc in cable and port frying. It's like a 5-10 dollar part and not soldered!

oh dam so what should I be looking for I looked up Alienware 17r3 charger but I'm seeing thing similar this 

Literally go to ebay and search 17r3 dc in. I would definitely inspect your old one for damage. It also helps to have the part number off of the cable to make sure you order the right thing.

You could try contacting dell, but I'm assuming you are out of warranty.

I have run into issues with dell charging jacks several times. If you google your issue you will see several threads on several forums documenting the same issue.