Supermicro 2U chassis. Any experience with them?

Dujith

For a new project i have to build a server for running Milestone. Normally i would use an ATX chassis but now i have to put one in a rack.

Looking at some 2U chassis as they support LP cards (gonna use a SAS card) and came across this: Supermicro SC823TQ-653LPB

Now i never used this brand but they show up as a budget server case manufacturer?

It also looks like i'm gonna need a Cooler for this case that takes into account the airflow going from front to back (included fans)

The specs are going to be something like this: 

- i7 8700 (no AMD :( while Milestone loves cores, it does however uses quicksync for motion detction, mobile server. Which makes a big difference)

- 16GB

- 2x 1GB ethernet (one for the camera's, one for external access)

- Around 10TB of storage for keeping 2 weeks (this will be in a Raid 1 or 10, havent decided yet)

I have never build a rack server so any tips will be more then welcome :D 

Supermicro is one of the giants.

Second hand servers are very cheap. Just a tip.

No signature found

7 minutes ago, RobbinM said:

Supermicro is one of the giants.

Second hand servers are very cheap. Just a tip.

Not trying to be cheap, just need something that fit a "normal" motherboard so i can use an i7, Quick sync is very important as without it the mobile server will bring the systems to its knees. (in the past older Xeon prebuild systems on site needed a NUC just to handle the mobile streams)

Aha.

TLDR then.

But, you won't get dissapointed with SuperMicro I think.

Just be sure to check the height of the cooler too.

Consider ZFS for storage maybe.

No signature found

6 minutes ago, RobbinM said:

Consider ZFS for storage maybe.

Any reason for that? the data is not critical and i need speed more then reliability. (the data gets wiped after 2 weeks anyway)

Supermicro chassis are one of the best brands you can get for putting your own motherboards into. They also make the best server motherboards if you want to avoid the likes of HP and Dell. Just one example - they don’t charge an extra fee to enable the remote KVM function of the IPMI/BMC on their motherboards (what HP calls iLO and Dell calls DRAC). 

Linus has done several videos about or using Supermicro cases, motherboards, or barebones systems (mobo+case).

I don’t have direct experience with their 2U chassis but I have many of their 1U. By the way if you buy it new, the proper heatsink is normally included, at least for 1U. You can check supermicro’s website for the exact case you’re looking at to see what the included parts are.

If you want a 2U case that lets you use an ATX power supply then also look at Norco cases. I have the RPC-2304 and it is great. The quality of Norco isn’t quite as high as Supermicro but they are still quite good.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: