Question about PSU cables and extensions

vardonir

I know that switching modular PSU cables between different brands is bad, never do it, etc, but extensions are fine. I assume that the usual use case of extensions that you attach it at the end of the cable that came out of the box. My question is, can you do it the other way around? 

Suppose we have a PSU, say, the Corsair SF600 (because that's the one I plan to buy). It's modular, everything on the PSU itself is a bunch of female ports, and it comes with a bunch of male-to-male cables. Once you attach the PSU cables, you get a bunch of males that can connect to the components on the board/hard drive/GPU, etc. What if I attach a male-to-female cable on the PSU, and then attach the male-to-male cables that came with the PSU's packaging? Will that be as problematic as switching modular PSU cables between different brands? 

If that wasn't clear, here's a doodle:

Usual modular PSU scenario:

+----------+                                        +-------------+
|          |                                        |             |
|   PSU    O <- +------------------------------+ -> O  component  |
|          |       (cable that came with PSU)       |             |

Usual modular PSU scenario with extension, I assume:

+----------+                                                            +-------------+
|          |                                                            |             |
|   PSU    O <- +------------------------------+ -> O--------------+ -> O  component  |
|          |       (cable that came with PSU)         (extension)       |             |
+----------+                                                            +-------------+

What I want to do:

|          |                                                            |             |
|   PSU    O <- +--------------O <- +------------------------------+ -> O  component  |
|          |      (extension)         (cable that came with PSU)        |             |

The cables in question here are the 8pin PCIe cables and SATA.

I'm planning to get the extensions off AliExpress, btw. If there's a place to get better cables (ketchup and mustard cables are fine, nothing fancy) from a place that has international shipping, I'd love to hear about it.

3 minutes ago, vardonir said:

I know that switching modular PSU cables between different brands is bad, never do it, etc, but extensions are fine. I assume that the usual use case of extensions that you attach it at the end of the cable that came out of the box. My question is, can you do it the other way around? 

Suppose we have a PSU, say, the Corsair SF600 (because that's the one I plan to buy). It's modular, everything on the PSU itself is a bunch of female ports, and it comes with a bunch of male-to-male cables. Once you attach the PSU cables, you get a bunch of males that can connect to the components on the board/hard drive/GPU, etc. What if I attach a male-to-female cable on the PSU, and then attach the male-to-male cables that came with the PSU's packaging? Will that be as problematic as switching modular PSU cables between different brands? 

|          |                                        |             |
|   PSU    O <- +------------------------------+ -> O  component  |
|          |       (cable that came with PSU)       |             |

|   PSU    O <- +------------------------------+ -> O--------------+ -> O  component  |
|          |       (cable that came with PSU)         (extension)       |             |

What I want to do:

|   PSU    O <- +--------------O <- +------------------------------+ -> O  component  |
|          |      (extension)         (cable that came with PSU)        |             |

I'm planning to get the extensions off AliExpress, btw. If there's a place to get better cables (ketchup and mustard cables are fine, nothing fancy) from a place that has international shipping, I'd love to hear about it.

Extension cables are nothing more than elongating the connection that exists between the PSU, it's cable, and the Component.  Order does not matter at all.

Go ahead and do your "what I want to do" example, it'll work fine.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Yes, both of those will provide an identical result. Although I believe many manufacturers use proprietary or uncommon connectors on the PSU side so you can't put other brand's cables in them and blow something up. You will need to be sure the extensions have those connectors.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

2 hours ago, vardonir said:

You kind of answered it in your first sentence. The reason you can use extension cables it on the component side is because the component connectors are all standardised. The connectors on the PSU side aren't standardised like the connectors on the component side are. The cables and how they connect on the PSU side are different and will vary depending on not only different brands, but also on different models. This means that unless you had extensions made specifically to go in to the PSU side of that unit, it wouldn't work - and could even set fire to your system if you plugged incompatible extension cables in. Even if, for whatever crazy reason, you did want to go to the effort of custom ordering/making extension cables for the PSU side, you'd just be better off ordering/making replacement cables that go the full length directly from the unit to the components rather than using extensions.

@jonnyGURU Isn't it a shame that the Corsair SF600 doesn't come with perfectly good cables out of the box and that you have to order extensions off AliExpress...

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

12 hours ago, Spotty said:

@jonnyGURU Isn't it a shame that the Corsair SF600 doesn't come with perfectly good cables out of the box and that you have to order extensions off AliExpress...

Are you being sarcastic?  The SF600 does come with cables.  They're just short because it's made for ITX/mATX systems.  Corsair can't help it if 20% of the customers are buying that PSU for ATX cases and the short cables don't reach.

Besides:  If you want DIFFERENT cables, like different colors, material, etc., there's the Corsair aftermarket cables and Cablemod and a plethora of small local cable makers that can provide a set.

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

Are you being sarcastic? 

Yes

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Yes

You forgot the "/s".  ;)

17 hours ago, jstudrawa said:

Extension cables are nothing more than elongating the connection that exists between the PSU, it's cable, and the Component.  Order does not matter at all.

tenor.gif?itemid=5542958

Did you think before writing this comment?

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

17 hours ago, jstudrawa said:

If that would be true, why are there WARNINGs on some power leads??

For example (GERMAN!)

https://www.elektro.net/64165/adapterstecker-mit-mehrfachsteckdosen-erlaubt-oder-verboten/

https://www.brennenstuhl.com/blog/de/how-not-to-steckdosenleisten-hintereinander-stecken/

I've thrown away the Warning of my lead sadly...

The US guys can possibly post their Warnings about that...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

18 hours ago, vardonir said:

Suppose we have a PSU, say, the Corsair SF600 (because that's the one I plan to buy)

@vardonir What case are you using? Are you using a mini-itx case or a ATX case?

8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

@vardonir What case are you using? Are you using a mini-itx case or a ATX case?

Neither. That is a bit complicated to explain and I'd rather not to because it's irrelevant to the question.

The strangest thing is that I'm getting mixed answers for this one question...

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Hell no.

Regarding the cables... Where are you located?

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

1 hour ago, vardonir said:

Neither. That is a bit complicated to explain and I'd rather not to because it's irrelevant to the question.

The strangest thing is that I'm getting mixed answers for this one question...

The connector on the PSU side isn't the same as on the component side. The pinout and keying could be completely different. The PCIe cables may look similar on either end (both 8 pins), but they're not the same! The socket on the PSU modular panel is not a PCIe type socket.
The only reason that those generic extension cables work on the component side is that the component side connectors (EPS12V, PCIe, SATA, Molex, 24pin motherboard) are all standardised. PSU side can be whatever the hell the manufacturer wants it to be.

It is possible to have an extension on the PSU side. What is stopping it is that the extension cables you buy aren't keyed/pinned correctly for the PSU side socket. You would need to make extension cables custom made for your PSU that will fit in to the PSU side and that are pinned out correctly that then go in to a female connector with the same socket and pin out that the PSU modular panel uses... But if you're at the point of making custom cables, why use extensions when you could just make the custom cables however long you want them to be and go directly to the component? 

I was asking what case you were using so I could work out what length cable you need and if there's an ATX or another SFX PSU that would have the correct cable length for what you need to reach the components, so that you don't need to use extensions at all. Another option is looking at buying replacement cables for the SF600 that are a different length. The ones that come with the SF600 in the box are a bit shorter than normal cables, due to being intended for Mini-ITX systems. You can also look at ordering custom made cables specifically designed for your PSU from sites like cablemod that allow you to customise the length of the cables. So if you're doing some boutique project like a desk PC and need a 75cm SATA power cable to reach where you're mounting your drives then you can do that.

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

The connector on the PSU side isn't the same as on the component side. The pinout and keying could be completely different. The PCIe cables may look similar on either end (both 8 pins), but they're not the same! The socket on the PSU modular panel is not a PCIe type socket.
The only reason that those generic extension cables work on the component side is that the component side connectors (EPS12V, PCIe, SATA, Molex, 24pin motherboard) are all standardised. PSU side can be whatever the hell the manufacturer wants it to be.

It is possible to have an extension on the PSU side. What is stopping it is that the extension cables you buy aren't keyed/pinned correctly for the PSU side socket. You would need to make extension cables custom made for your PSU that will fit in to the PSU side and that are pinned out correctly that then go in to a female connector with the same socket and pin out that the PSU modular panel uses... But if you're at the point of making custom cables, why use extensions when you could just make the custom cables however long you want them to be and go directly to the component? 

I was asking what case you were using so I could work out what length cable you need and if there's an ATX or another SFX PSU that would have the correct cable length for what you need to reach the components, so that you don't need to use extensions at all. Another option is looking at buying replacement cables for the SF600 that are a different length. The ones that come with the SF600 in the box are a bit shorter than normal cables, due to being intended for Mini-ITX systems. You can also look at ordering custom made cables specifically designed for your PSU from sites like cablemod that allow you to customise the length of the cables. So if you're doing some boutique project like a desk PC and need a 75cm SATA power cable to reach where you're mounting your drives then you can do that.

This,.  I was thinking of the wiring, not the keying.  On an 8pin, if the extension fits, it'll work fine as it's just elongating the run from the PSU to the PSU cable.  If it doesn't fit (keyed different), then obviously no.

I did not take into consideration that PSU's are keyed different for their cable sets possibly.  For that, I apologize.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

On 2/18/2019 at 5:19 AM, vardonir said:

What I want to do:

We actually offer longer PCIe cables through our webstore that are compatible with the SF600.  Part number is

CP-8920143

These are the ones that come with our standard ATX form factor PSU's.  Much better solution than using an extension, and about the same price.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/