PC reboots under load - GPU or PSU?

Milmar

Hello guys,

I've been reading the forum for awhile and finally had to register and request help. So recently I decided to go for a new build, as the old one was struggling quite a lot. It includes new and second hand parts to fit the budget as best as possible imo:

1. Gigabyte Z370 D3 (updated to latest F11 BIOS in the shop)

2. Intel Core i7-9700k

3. Corsair Vengeance DDR4, 3200MHz 16GB (2 x 8GB)

4. Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti - used

5. Corsair CX750 - 750W - used

Case and drives were borrowed from the old build and are irrelevant to the issue. I know that many people would disagree with buying a used PSU, but I've had a used one from an unknown brand in the previous build and never had problems with it. To the point - I put the components together, the PC goes through POST and boots the OS. Everything looks great. I reboot, enable XMP and start up Apex Legends to test the new monitor - Asus ROG Swift PG278QR. The game starts loading, displays the initial screen for a second and restarts - no BSOD, just straight reboot. I tried a few more times and several games and got very similar behavior. Also disabled XMP just in case, but no change. I ran several benchmarks, mainly FurMark. In FurMark I got mixed results - in most instances it would run for 10-15 minutes until I manually stop it, in others it would restart the PC in the first 2-3 minutes, but mostly it worked fine. Cinebench and memtest did well. So at this point it's quite clear that the issue is caused by one of the two used components. I still haven't determined which one it is, although swapping the GPU to my old Asus strix GTX960 resolves this completely. Currently, I am wondering whether the GPU is not getting enough power from the possibly faulty PSU, or if the graphics card has an issue specifically with the memory. In the several games I tested, it seems to reboot as textures are getting loaded, leading me to believe it might be memory related only. On top of that the card is mostly stable during longer periods of 100% GPU load, where the VRAM usage remains low. I am planning to get a friend and swap both cards and PSU's but based on the currently available information, what would you recommend? With FurMark running, is the card reaching maximum power usage?

Do you have temperature readings for CPU/GPU to make sure its not overheating?

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Just now, PopsicleHustler said:

Do you have temperature readings for CPU/GPU to make sure its not overheating?

Ah, sorry. Forgot to point out this very important detail. Neither CPU or GPU are going above 65 degrees Celsius. All components are withing normal operating temperatures as per hardware monitor :)

1 minute ago, Milmar said:

Ah, sorry. Forgot to point out this very important detail. Neither CPU or GPU are going above 65 degrees Celsius. All components are withing normal operating temperatures as per hardware monitor :)

In this case I would first swap the PSU and run a few stress tests with it.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

1 minute ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Understood, I will try to borrow one from a friend and try again, before blaming the guy who sold the graphics card. I wanted to test the GPU memory, but couldn't reliable and newer software to do it. I also couldn't find software which can simply fill up and load the VRAM so every time I test, I had to start a game.

On 2/18/2019 at 12:26 AM, PopsicleHustler said:

Hey, thought I'd update here. You were right, it's the PSU. After some further tests, I went ahead and bought a new be quiet! Pure Power 700W. The rig is now working flawlessly :) I got baited by the fact the the system was not rebooting under stress tests with FurMark, but only in games with more VRAM usage. Anyway, many thanks!

6 minutes ago, Milmar said:

Hey, thought I'd update here. You were right, it's the PSU. After some further tests, I went ahead and bought a new be quiet! Pure Power 700W. The rig is now working flawlessly :) I got baited by the fact the the system was not rebooting under stress tests with FurMark, but only in games with more VRAM usage. Anyway, many thanks!

Glad to hear everything works now.