I deserve more than this

DinhanhGamer
Go to solution Solved by theora,

Have him call Spectrum. It could be the wiring, but if the modem and router are as old as you think they are, they may be the issue. Also, keep in mind that they won't guarantee wireless speeds, so do a speed test while physically connected if you haven't already (although you should still have them swap out your equipment from the dawn of man).

When they come to switch out your equipment, make sure they also test your line in three places: at the equipment, at the wall plate or ground block (dependent on if you live in an apartment or a house), and at the tap (which will generally include climbing a pole). Once that has been verified as working properly, they should run a speed test with their meter to check the speed on a physical line. If that's all good, you'll need to troubleshoot your personal equipment if you're still having issues.

so I just moved in with my dad, and the internet is kinda slow, 15mbps down and 5 mbps up. He told me that he paid like $70 a month for it. I checked his spectrum account and yes, it said something like 100mx10m. Now I don't know why it is like this, but I noticed he had a really old looking modem and router, I'm think that the issue here are these 2. what do you think I should do?

Maybe he's paying for 100 megaBITS per second and your test is saying 15 megaBYTES. After all, 1/8th of 100 is roughly 13, so I think you just have your units wrong.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

It may be the wiring between the modem and router or ethernet cord. I would try a different modem or router if you can, and see if that works. I recently replaced my own router and get a solid 30-40% faster down speed than before. Good luck

12 minutes ago, DinhanhGamer said:

and the internet is kinda slow, 15mbps down and 5 mbps up

Thats actually rather fast compared to most places.  Have you ever seen dial-up before or was that before your time lol.  But anyways, I also agree with kelvin you might have your units messed up.  MB/s is not the same as mbps

I see some of the post here but the fact is Spectrum is Cable internet which is generally much faster than DSL, the fact is I think the OP has a real issue. It could be caused by the equipment supplied and the OP should be able to get new from Spectrum. It could be a signal problem, as it could be out of spec. Its hard to say. The OP can check the signal if they can get to the modem diagnostic page at 192.168.1.100, not all providers give access to this, and Im not a Spectrum customer so I couldn't say if they do or not. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Have him call Spectrum. It could be the wiring, but if the modem and router are as old as you think they are, they may be the issue. Also, keep in mind that they won't guarantee wireless speeds, so do a speed test while physically connected if you haven't already (although you should still have them swap out your equipment from the dawn of man).

When they come to switch out your equipment, make sure they also test your line in three places: at the equipment, at the wall plate or ground block (dependent on if you live in an apartment or a house), and at the tap (which will generally include climbing a pole). Once that has been verified as working properly, they should run a speed test with their meter to check the speed on a physical line. If that's all good, you'll need to troubleshoot your personal equipment if you're still having issues.

43 minutes ago, theora said:

Also, keep in mind that they won't guarantee wireless speeds

They have actually told me in the past that they dont think there is a problem if you are getting 60% of what you pay for.

53 minutes ago, theora said:

. Also, keep in mind that they won't guarantee wireless speeds, so do a speed test while physically connected if you haven't already (although you should still have them swap out your equipment from the dawn of man).

I did the speed test with my computer connected to an ethernet cable

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Maybe he's paying for 100 megaBITS per second and your test is saying 15 megaBYTES. After all, 1/8th of 100 is roughly 13, so I think you just have your units wrong.

it wouldn't really make sense since he pays $70 for it :/