CPU Usage Capped at 20% on Windows 10

I've had this issue for a while now; randomly my laptop will suddenly cap CPU usage to 20% (~0.5Ghz) and stay there for minutes at a time. I only have this issue on Windows 10 as when I used Linux the issue was not prevelant. I also have found that none of my programs are the issue as even when I reformatted and created a fresh Windows install, I still encountered this issue randomly. The only useful piece of information I've found is that in Intel XTU I get notified that my laptop is Power Limit Throttling. I tried various things to fix this, followed various guides, but I still wasn't able to find a solution to the issue. 

If anyone knows what this is about, PLS HELP

*Laptop is from 2016 and has not recieved any significant bios or other driver update since 2017, and this issue is relatively recent (~3 months)

Just now, RobbinM said:

Do you encounter this when charged and plugged in?

Yeah, it happens both when plugged and on battery power

How do you know it is capped and not just idling...?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

How do you know it is capped and not just idling...?

It occurs when I'm doing demanding tasks like gaming and having multiple videos running, and instead of using more CPU to load things faster, Task Manager shows that usage stays at ~20% and everything starts chugging and lagging like crazy.

1 minute ago, Squarq said:

It occurs when I'm doing demanding tasks like gaming and having multiple videos running, and instead of using more CPU to load things faster, Task Manager shows that usage stays at ~20% and everything starts chugging and lagging like crazy.

And the temps are fine?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Use HW monitor to check your cpu temp when the lag occurs and then show us the result

17 minutes ago, Squarq said:

Does this happen when your laptop is plugged in?

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor