7850 not stable when EVERYONE says it should be.

im running cgminer with a 5770 and a 7850, but I cant runn the 7850 at reasonable rates without HW errors.

this is generally what my .bat looks like.

cgminer.exe --scrypt -o ************************************** -u ********** -p ******* -I 18,19 -w 256 --shaders 1024,800 --thread-concurrency 8192,0 --gpu-engine 1170,900 --gpu-memclock 1250,1400

The 7850 is GPU 0 and the 5770 is GPU1.

EDIT: I've herd I should be able to get an intensity of 20 but i'm getting errors at 18.

Try 17 intensity and 12404 thread concurrency 

if you're not at stock, your voltage just might be too low.

tc to high

you sure? My 7850's ran with 12404 completely fine..

Error: 410

tc to high

you sure? My 7850's ran with 12404 completely fine..

ive been told that my frequency should be fine for that TC but its not also stock voltage is supposed to be fine for this OC as well.

and I REALY don't want to raise the voltage cuz this is my friends card and he has my Recon Fatal1ty as collateral.

ive been told that my frequency should be fine for that TC but its not also stock voltage is supposed to be fine for this OC as well.

and I REALY don't want to raise the voltage cuz this is my friends card and he has my Recon Fatal1ty as collateral.

It's extremely unlikely for two cards of the same chip to be stable at a same given overclock with X voltage. You need to change the voltage if it's overclocked, otherwise it's unstable and will give errors.

1170 seems kind of high, at least for me. I run one of mine at 1120 and the other one at 1075, stock memory.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

It's extremely unlikely for two cards of the same chip to be stable at a same given overclock with X voltage. You need to change the voltage if it's overclocked, otherwise it's unstable and will give errors.

I still get HW errors even if I keep it at stock freq, also I lowered I to 13 and still errors

in afterburner the chart shows that the frequency is at a constant, I had an unstable OC the other day and the frequency jumped around.

in afterburner the chart shows that the frequency is at a constant, I had an unstable OC the other day and the frequency jumped around.

that's not conclusive. you can have an unstable OC stay constant clocked, nothing to do with stability. 

that's not conclusive. you can have an unstable OC stay constant clocked, nothing to do with stability. 

ok, :( how do I adjust the voltage? and by how much should I adjust it?

(this is my first real overclock)

ok, :( how do I adjust the voltage? and by how much should I adjust it?

(this is my first real overclock)

Reset it back to stock and give it a 0.20mv bump. If it still gives errors, the problem isn't the card. If it gets no errors, reset to voltage to stock. If no errors completely at stock, then a <.5mv overvolt should be fine so long as you stay <1190mv and 85c for the sake of it not being your card.  

that's the easier approach to verify where the problem is. 

Reset it back to stock and give it a 0.20mv bump. If it still gives errors, the problem isn't the card. If it gets no errors, reset to voltage to stock. If no errors completely at stock, then a <.5mv overvolt should be fine so long as you stay <1190mv and 85c for the sake of it not being your card.  

do I do this in afterburner?

do I do this in afterburner?

Yes. If you find that afterburner is being finicky you can use sapphire trixx instead.  

still getting errors :(

at I 17 and 19

Yes. If you find that afterburner is being finicky you can use sapphire trixx instead.  

I ended up with trixx

if its not the card what could it be ive had luck with other cards in this system.

I'm using GUIMiner with my 7850 just fine.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz Cooler: Hyper 212+ GPU: MSI Twin Frozr 3 7850 Case: HAF 912 RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: OCZ Modxstream 600W Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-LK HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda

I don't know why anyone would say certain config/settings will obtain exact numbers or be stable. Every card and chip is different, they also differ when being used with other hardware. Making every rig likely to require it's own fine tuning and separate settings. There are no universal settings.

I'd also like to point out that, you have censored your worker name and password... I truly hope you aren't using an actual password. A single letter password such as "x" is all you need. Everything in your batch file is unencrypted and sent over the network via plain text. If the password used is shared between other accounts, I recommend changing those passwords. The workername/password combo is used only to identify what account gets credit for the hashrate directed at it.

You can try to manually tune your card by following the 7970 tuning guide in CGminer scrypt-readme.txt  The starting thread concurrency should be at 1024 not 8192. you can increase it by any number that's divisible by 64.1024+ 64, 128, 192 256, 320, etc, etc, As long as the final number is divisible by 64 

TUNING AN AMD RADEON 7970Example tuning a 7970 for Scrypt mining:On linux run this command:export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100or on windows this:setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100in the same console/bash/dos prompt/bat file/whatever you want to call it,before running cgminer.First, find the highest thread concurrency that you can start it at. They shouldall start at 8192 but some will go up to 3 times that. Don't go too high on theintensity while testing and don't change gpu threads. If you cannot go above8192, don't fret as you can still get a high hashrate.Delete any .bin files so you're starting from scratch and see what bins getgenerated.First try without any thread concurrency or even shaders, as cgminer will try tofind an optimal valuecgminer -I 13If that starts mining, see what bin was generated, it is likely the largestmeaningful TC you can set.Starting it on mine I get:scrypt130302Tahitiglg2tc22392w64l8.binSee tc22392 that's telling you what thread concurrency it was. It should startwithout TC parameters, but you never know. So if it doesn't, start with--thread-concurrency 8192 and add 2048 to it at a time till you find the highestvalue it will start successfully at.Then start overclocking the eyeballs off your memory, as 7970s are exquisitelysensitive to memory speed and amazingly overclockable but please make sure itkeeps adequately cooled with --auto-fan! Do it while it's running from the GPUmenu. Go up by 25 at a time every 30 seconds or so until your GPU crashes. Thenreboot and start it 25 lower as a rough start. Mine runs stable at 1900 memorywithout overvolting. Overvolting is the only thing that can actually damage yourGPU so I wouldn't recommend it at all.Then once you find the maximum memory clock speed, you need to find the sweetspot engine clock speed that matches it. It's a fine line where one more MHzwill make the hashrate drop by 20%. It's somewhere in the .57 - 0.6 ratio range.Start your engine clock speed at half your memory clock speed and then increaseit by 5 at a time. The hashrate should climb a little each rise in engine speedand then suddenly drop above a certain value. Decrease it by 1 then until youfind it climbs dramatically. If your engine clock speed cannot get that highwithout crashing the GPU, you will have to use a lower memclock.Then, and only then, bother trying to increase intensity further.My final settings were:--gpu-engine 1141  --gpu-memclock 1875 -I 20for a hashrate of 745kH.Note I did not bother setting a thread concurrency. Once you have the magicendpoint, look at what tc was chosen by the bin file generated and then hardcode that in next time (eg --thread-concurrency 22392) as slight changes inthread concurrency will happen every time if you don't specify one, and the tcto clock ratios are critical!Good luck, and if this doesn't work for you, well same old magic discussionapplies, I cannot debug every hardware combo out there.Your numbers will be your numbers depending on your hardware combination and OS,so don't expect to get exactly the same results!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

its a little more solid now after 13 hours of mineing with 20 errors. almost as if it needed to be broken in...

I run four sapphire 2gb 7850s in one of my rigs. when I overclock up to 1200core I get 415+ khs no issues no hw errors

these are my settings

--gpu-platform 0 -d 0,1,2,3 -w256 -v 1 -I 18 -g 1 -l1 -T --thread-concurrency 8192

Old Rig | Cpu - Intel Q6600 @ 3.5Ghz | Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | Mobo - Asus Rampage Extreme | Ram - 8GB OCZ Gold 1600mhz | Gpu - 2x Asus DK Radeon HD 4870 1GB (Crossfire) | Psu - Corsair TX750W | Case - Thermaltake Element G

New Rig | Cpu - Intel 4770K @ 4.5Ghz | Cooler - Swiftech H220 | Mobo - Asus Z87 Deluxe | Ram - 16GB Kinston Hyper X Beast @ 2400Mhz | Gpu - Sapphire R9 290X | Ssd - Kingston Hyper X Beast 3K 240GB | Psu - Corsair HX850W | Case - Fractal Design Define R4