gtx 880 vs 780ti

jojocool111

I wonder what they would say about my 465 lol

(in a snobby, waiter accent) "Would you like your drink shaken, or violently stirred, sir?"

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I would hope so... but new cards coming out doesn't make the current ones any less awesome

880s probly wont be out for 8-10 months, and when they do come out they will probably be better then a 780ti but will cost 700ish, since that seems to be what nivida wants their high end consumer cards to cost. 

the reason 780s dropped in price was the 290X came out and made nivida  release fully a enabled gk110 card to maintain their status as the manufacturer of the highest performance gpu.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope it will be more powerfull. The specs is already rumored on Videocards.com but that, nahhh , thats seems to be untrue, at least 3000 CUDA cores..

And the pricing would be good if it would be under 600 USD or 600 Euro.

I want it to be more powefull because i would not like to buy old tech when i "finally" will buy a pc. 

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

nvidia will most likely  release the highest end card from the line up and my bet is we wont see any mid-range or top tier cards untill 3-6 months after that. Your looking to spend between 1000-1299 for the new GTX 880 or Titan 2 w/e they call it at initial release 

Main Rig:
I7 3820 @ 4.3GHZ---Corsair H100i---EVGA X79 FTW---DDR3 2133 16GB--- Asus GTX 780 DCII--CM Storm Trooper---corsair AX860---OCZ vertex 4 256GB--WD BE 1TB

The rumors say that maxwell is aimed at power savings not massive fos gains it won't be noticeable and I recommend u get 780ti now before the benchmarks on the 880 come out and the price of 780ti goes up alot

Why do people keep asking the same thing. It will more than likely be like a 10-15% performance increase from the previous generation equivalent. (like it usually is)

CPU: Intel i5 4670(non K) Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb (2x4Gb) @1600Mhz HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 OC WF3 ~1293Mhz max boost clock~ PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Corsair 300R Windowed Edition OS: Windows 8.1

Why do people keep asking the same thing. It will more than likely be like a 10-15% performance increase from the previous generation equivalent. (like it usually is)

10-15% from a 780ti is a lot IMO. 

i think it'll have the same performance of the 780ti 

with less power consumption

but at the $500 mark

CPU: i7 3820 4.0GHz  CPU Cooler: Corsair H80  RAM: 16GB 1600MHz  MotherBoard: ASUS Sabertooth x79  GPU: EVGA 780 ti  PSU: Cougar GX1050 80plus gold  CASE: Antec 1100

Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeH6RheyXBWjRGRcF0ZTilA

Advancement in tech usually means (should mean) that you'll get noticeably more performance out of the same tier in a higher series (Tier 1/2 for X80 with GTX, depending how you look at it and unincl. Ti versions). It also means a higher price tag for being better, and a higher price tag for being new (very new, specifically for 800-series cores).

Then there's the thing about silicon and binning their chips. That's where Ti's and I think Ti BOOSTs come in to play, which could either bridge a large price gap or completely bump some prices up if they don't exist. I'm thinking that NVidia might've held back on some for the 700 series just to use it with 800-series cards.

So, worst case scenario, GTX 880 (if it's even called that) is roughly maybe 5-7% better performance than the 780Ti and costs $80+ more at MSRP reference cards. Best case scenario (being generous, considering AMD cards are about to hit the floor in prices, but I think new Hawaiis wont be out for another year) would be... 8-10% performance boost at slightly higher MSRP or same performance at the same MSRP.. NVidia has a window with Maxwell that grants them a chance to price hike like mad, and you'll probably notice it with EVGA cards the most. EVGA likes to do that with anything above ACX, and even ACX cards are way expensive compared to Windforce X3s, MSi's non-ref, etc.

Super speculative, here. Not really sure what to expect out of Maxwell but I assume it's gonna be a lot more powerful. If it is, it's more likely to be much more expensive than I predict. It just doesn't make sense for it to be in my opinion. Would be cool to see 850s be comparative in performance to 770s/right inbetween 760/770, but 870+ with 3gb of VRAM or more.

The benefits of them doing that would be seeing something like 830s/840s at good prices for budget and mid-range pc's. If they can't ever fill anything in below a GTX X60 again, they need to change the card titles. It stopped making sense at 600.

TSMC is claiming very good transistor density scaling for 20nm which is what the 880 will be based on. In addition to the better density they are expecting pretty significant power reductions but not quite so high clock speeds. Given that this is basically a doubling of density you can basically expect twice as many CUDA cores in the same area. Considering they are using the same light focus distance maximum die size is also about the same. So it all rests on the thermal problems that smaller brings, how much additional power running twice as much logic in the same area is going to be.

But its not unrealistic to expect at least 50%, potentially 100% depending on how power scaling goes. We should be looking at up to about 6000 CUDA cores for an 880 in the next generation at the same die size but that is potentially a higher TDP part.

Id hope so as thats going to be my next big pc purchase pertaining basically that

10-15% from a 780ti is a lot IMO. 

Not that much actually. Not enough to make this big a deal over it like everyone is thinking it is going to be a god and destroy everything it will just be outdated in another year so why is anyone even caring?

CPU: Intel i5 4670(non K) Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb (2x4Gb) @1600Mhz HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 OC WF3 ~1293Mhz max boost clock~ PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Corsair 300R Windowed Edition OS: Windows 8.1

I think it will do the same as the 680 and the 770. The 770 is slightly more powerful in terms of Cuda cores, and Clock Speeds. The 780ti and the 880 will follow the same path in my opinion.

My Pc Gaming Rig (Blue Blackhawk) Specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/V88U

Because of the new Maxwell GPU, I think it will be the same as Fermi to Kepler. A GTX 660 Ti is beating a GTX 580.

I would say a GTX 860 or GTX 860 Ti is going to beat a GTX 780, don't know if it's going to beat the GTX 780 Ti too.

I am looking to get a GTX 770 or 780, but I think it's better to wait for Maxwell to launch. It's quite bad to get now a GTX 780 and in a few weeks or months you will get even better performance for almost half the price...

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Not that much actually. Not enough to make this big a deal over it like everyone is thinking it is going to be a god and destroy everything it will just be outdated in another year so why is anyone even caring?

It wont be outdated in a year. Why would you eve think that?

I think it will do the same as the 680 and the 770. The 770 is slightly more powerful in terms of Cuda cores, and Clock Speeds. The 780ti and the 880 will follow the same path in my opinion.

I dont think so since theyll be a different architecture not just the same one revised.

It wont be outdated in a year. Why would you eve think that?

Because a year after it's released another one will be as well so technically it will be outdated, not useless, but outdated nonetheless. 

Because a year after it's released another one will be as well so technically it will be outdated, not useless, but outdated nonetheless.

Outdated to me means it no longer viable for the new stuff that coming out. And technically new ones wont be coming likely, just revisions of the current ones.

• 2 months later...

This is what the GTX 880 is shaping up to be.

• 20 nm GM204 silicon
  • 7.9 billion transistors
  • 3,200 CUDA cores
  • 200 TMUs
  • 32 ROPs
  • 5.7 TFLOP/s single-precision floating-point throughput
  • 256-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface
  • 4 GB standard memory amount
  • 238 GB/s memory bandwidth
  • Clock speeds of 900 MHz core, 950 MHz GPU Boost, 7.40 GHz memory
  • 230W board power

Sources: PCTuning Tyden.czExpreview

http://www.techpowerup.com/199750/nvidia-geforce-gtx-880-detailed.html

This is what the GTX 880 is shaping up to be.

• 20 nm GM204 silicon
  • 7.9 billion transistors
  • 3,200 CUDA cores
  • 200 TMUs
  • 32 ROPs
  • 5.7 TFLOP/s single-precision floating-point throughput
  • 256-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface
  • 4 GB standard memory amount
  • 238 GB/s memory bandwidth
  • Clock speeds of 900 MHz core, 950 MHz GPU Boost, 7.40 GHz memory
  • 230W board power

Sources: PCTuning Tyden.czExpreview

http://www.techpowerup.com/199750/nvidia-geforce-gtx-880-detailed.html

I doubt that...

What kind of stupid question is this, of course it's gonna be faster!

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Yeah

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Tiny bus for 4GB Vram. It will suffice but Nvidia can't sell 880s with double the ram without significant loss in throughput. 

144Hz goodness