lenovo thinkpad T430

i7 3630QM

16gb ram

250gb ssd

1tb hdd 

backlit keyboard

9 cell battery 

3 wifi antenna 7dbi each 

any and all opinions are more than appreciated :)

thank you all :) 

T430

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

I had the y500, the gt 750m is definitely a lackluster card but still miles above integrated, solutions even by today's standards (On laptops)

What do you plan to do with the laptop? because i had a lenovo t430 too, but it was pretty lackluster build quality, the i7 is the same in both, but the y500 battery wasn't great, 

But then again these laptops are pretty old now, so the battery's probably won't be useful unless replaced

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

27 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

T430

can you please explain why ? thanks alot

12 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

I had the y500, the gt 750m is definitely a lackluster card but still miles above integrated, solutions even by today's standards (On laptops)

What do you plan to do with the laptop? because i had a lenovo t430 too, but it was pretty lackluster build quality, the i7 is the same in both, but the y500 battery wasn't great, 

But then again these laptops are pretty old now, so the battery's probably won't be useful unless replaced

the battery on the lenovo T430 is 9 cell and last 15 hours in total on full charge - the lenovo y500 doesn't have an option to upgrade battery - i will be using either laptop for linux system architecture learning and over all programming and ethical hacking etc..   

thanks alot 

Yeah if you have no use for the GPU i would go with the T430, i'm not sure how the Nvidia drivers are on linux now, but they weren't that great then

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

Just now, Emanbaird said:

Yeah if you have no use for the GPU i would go with the T430, i'm not sure how the Nvidia drivers are on linux now, but they weren't that great then

also iam planning to use external gpu on the T430 through the express card slot - but my main concern is which is better for the purposes i mentioned in my previous response?

thanks alot 

If you are going to be on battery a lot the T430, if not then the y500 would be faster, but they are roughly going to be around the same for what you are doing, the t430 definitely doesn't look as "gamey" so for professional stuff it'd probably be better

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

1 minute ago, Emanbaird said:

If you are going to be on battery a lot the T430, if not then the y500 would be faster, but they are roughly going to be around the same for what you are doing, the t430 definitely doesn't look as "gamey" so for professional stuff it'd probably be better

but why do you think that the y500 is more faster if both have exactly the same specs ? does the gpu on the y500 makes it faster?

the GT750m would make it faster, but if you are going to have an E-GPU it won't matter when you are hooked up, so even though the battery may be better on the T430, you may not be able to take advantage of it if you are always hooked up to the E-GPU, 

I would personally choose the y500 because all of my work is done in-doors or at the very least near an outlet, and I almost always have the GPU maxed out (Autodesk) and the battery was basically only used moving from one outlet to the other. 

Which one are you leaning toward? i used to work at an electronics store, so i got to use basically every consumer grade laptop available and they were both good in build quality, had really good keyboards, idk if you care about the num pad but the t430 is lacking a number pad.

EDIT: I could also be mistaken but i think the expansion bay actually can support another GT750m for SLI, it's defintely not a huge upgrade and it performs around a GTX 480 in most games, but i don't know if you'll be able to even take advantage of that lol 

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

5 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

the GT750m would make it faster, but if you are going to have an E-GPU it won't matter when you are hooked up, so even though the battery may be better on the T430, you may not be able to take advantage of it if you are always hooked up to the E-GPU, 

I would personally choose the y500 because all of my work is done in-doors or at the very least near an outlet, and I almost always have the GPU maxed out (Autodesk) and the battery was basically only used moving from one outlet to the other. 

Which one are you leaning toward? i used to work at an electronics store, so i got to use basically every consumer grade laptop available and they were both good in build quality, had really good keyboards, idk if you care about the num pad but the t430 is lacking a number pad.

EDIT: I could also be mistaken but i think the expansion bay actually can support another GT750m for SLI, it's defintely not a huge upgrade and it performs around a GTX 480 in most games, but i don't know if you'll be able to even take advantage of that lol 

i will be learning on arch linux and debain as a general linux learning and will be doing some ethical hacking and some CAD designing - basically "professional" work you know .....

thanks again 

16 hours ago, OCD-FREAK said:

can you please explain why ? thanks alot

Overall build quality

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

2 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Overall build quality

what about power? which is more tailored to what i need ? i will be learning linux system architecture - some CAD designing - some ethical hacking - over all linux learning and game development 

thanks for your help :) 

3 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

what about power?

If your workload benefits from dGPU, Y500p might be a good choice. However, I heard many issues about this model, particularly major ones like build quality (eg broken hinge) and cooling

Desktop specs:

Spoiler