Strange and constant Gmail activity

Go to solution Solved by Neftex,

do you use vpn? maybe phone?

check your pc for physical keylogger (something between keyboard and usb port), boot up linux from flash drive/dvd, terminate logins in settings for all devices (i guess changing password should do that automatically), change password, only check emails on the linux.

seems kinda extreme but if that doesnt help then theres something wrong with your isp?

So I've used the same gmail account since I first used the internet to make a Facebook account.  For a long time, I never paid much attention to my email account but over the last few months, I've started to occasionally check my account activity on gmail and I keep seeing apparent logins or activity from computers or phones in completely different states.  Just over the past 3 days, Google claims I've had mobile activity from phones in 4 different states.  Tennessee, Connecticut, Virginia, and Kansas.  I do know locations services usually say I'm located in a city that is quite a few miles away for whatever reason (I know it actually means me because I've checked) but different states?  I've changed my password over half a dozen times now but less than a day later, it'll say someone new has logged in or activity has happened.  I've ran scans with multiple antivirus and malware programs and nothing like a keylogger or something of the sort is on my computer.  Anyone know what it could be?

do you use vpn? maybe phone?

check your pc for physical keylogger (something between keyboard and usb port), boot up linux from flash drive/dvd, terminate logins in settings for all devices (i guess changing password should do that automatically), change password, only check emails on the linux.

seems kinda extreme but if that doesnt help then theres something wrong with your isp?

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

@Neftex I hope to sometime soon be able to afford a VPN but right now, I literally am broke.  As in zero cash and triple zeros in the bank account.  I had planned to get NordVPN when I had my last job but they fired me before I could even finish my parts collecting.  Just started a new job this week so if the first pay is good enough, I'll probably subscribe.  I know better than to trust free VPNs.  I didn't know it was possible for an ISP to be the problem but since you mention it, I'd say it'd be the ISP.  Ours hasn't been the most reliable.  A while back, we had them and the wifi would constantly go down and we'd have to call them out weekly.  They tried to charge us 40 bucks each time when they never actually solved the problem.  We changed to CenturyLink but due to our location, we got maybe 5MBps on good days and switched back.  So they are the only affordable high speed option in our area so we're kinda stuck with them.  As for physical things, the only device I use to access it that has a independent keyboard is my desktop which I built myself so I know it's clean.  The others are my cell and Chromebook which obviously don't use separate keyboards.

Honestly, for me individually, it's not a major problem.  Plus I can only assume this has been happening for years and nothing has happened, though I know that's dangerous thinking.  Regardless, thanks for the info.  I'll definitely consider it nevertheless.