vmware no partitioning

johnyb98

Hello.

Please, I would like your help.

Host machine having Windows 7, I have installed vmware workstation on it. I create a virtual machine on which I want to install windows server 2008 from an .iso.

The problem, for which I create this threat, is that it does not ask me to language, keyboard layout, time and currency, and more serious to create partitions. I wanna create two partitions in the virtual machine. Not the physical disk.

So, to be more specific, if I finally succeed this, on physical disk I will have only C : drive (as now), and on virtual machine I will have C : and D :

I have tried in vmware with both allocated and non-allocated disk space setting, but in both ways, it does not work.

Is it any setting I should check in vmware (vmware beginner), or is it something else?

I have searched vmware settings, and, as far as I can diagnose, I cannot find something to establish that.

Thank you !

Edit the virtual machine, add a second virtual hard drive. Don't complicate it by partitioning a virtual disk.

11 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Don't complicate it by partitioning a virtual disk.

a. Is it dangerous for physical hard drive?

b. Why on your opinion on windows server setup wizard there is no classic partition selection?

4 hours ago, johnyb98 said:

a. Is it dangerous for physical hard drive?

b. Why on your opinion on windows server setup wizard there is no classic partition selection?

Dangerious may be the wrong word, as nothing is going to destroy or break the disk.

It is just poor design to partition a VHD, potentially could cause poor performance.

Server 2008 and Server 2008R2 are pretty much end of life, you should not be using it. Disk partitioning is still in the wizard, I believe you are not looking hard enough?

Yes, I agree with you (and know) server 2008 and 2008r2 are at end of life. I am just trying with this specific version because I wanna practice in AD DS, and this specific version has less requirements than later versions.

11 minutes ago, johnyb98 said:

Yes, I agree with you (and know) server 2008 and 2008r2 are at end of life. I am just trying with this specific version because I wanna practice in AD DS, and this specific version has less requirements than later versions.

What requirements are you not meeting? I'm using a server from 2009 and happily running 2016. Try for 2012R2 at the very least, there are more security features to be aware of in later versions - not to mention SMBv1 being disable by default now adays.

I would like to thank you a lot for your advice and guidance about how to skip 2008 and work with 2012 server, and these very handy information.

Thank you!!