What driver should i get for laptop after reinstall?

Go to solution Solved by genexis_x,

Windows update will do most of the job

I like to reinstall windows everytime i get problem with my windows or when i get performance drop, but i never know what driver should i get to install and ended up installing all.
so can someone tell me what driver should i get for laptop? or where can i get auto driver apps?

the laptop im using is a hp pavilion 15 gaming (gtx950m)

Every single one of the programs that finds drivers for you are scams or just straight up don't work. The best way to find the drivers for your laptop is probably HP's driver site.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, BobVonBob said:

Every single one of the programs that finds drivers for you are scams. The best way to find the drivers for your laptop is probably HP's driver site.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

what i really want to know is what driver i should really install since i dont really want to have tons of crap in my laptop
but thanks for the tips there

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

20 hours ago, Chris2002 said:

what i really want to know is what driver i should really install since i dont really want to have tons of crap in my laptop
but thanks for the tips there

You have to install all the drivers to get the full functionality of your laptop! Stuff like the FN keys or multimedia keys may not work without all those drivers/utilities.

These you can skip if you don't need them as they are not laptop utilities or drivers:

CyberLink Power Media Player Software

- Cyberlink PhotoDirector Software

- Cyberlink PowerDirector Software

- Cyberlink Youcam Software

- HP SimplePass Identity Protection Software (only needed if your laptop has a fingerprint scanner and you want it to work properly)

- HP Support Assistant (bloatwae)

the rest are ALL needed

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

19 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Although that may work for most users as the Windows update driver has improved a lot over the past years. Some may still run into stuff that won't work 100% like the audio card drivers if the OEM provided driver has any enhancements for example. On my MSI, the MSI variant of the Realtek Driver supports an app called Nahimic which gives better audio profiles and whatnot. That app will not be able to talk to the generic Realtek Driver provided from the Windows update. Just as an example. Also sometimes Touchpad drivers won't function as intended with regards to gestures and whatnot but you get the picture.

The way I do it is I download the latest drivers from the OEM website and then update ones that I know for sure will work and needed like the Graphics Card driver and LAN/WLAN/Bluetooth driver

See for example how I maintain the latest drivers thread for MSI laptops here, most stuff can work on other laptops like the Intel Drivers, Graphics, Wireless and LAN: MSI GT75 TITAN Drivers (8th gen)

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro