Master boot record virus of some type I think?

Jason_Peppers

In my laptop I have a ssd drive that I believe some how has been infected with a master boot record styled virus. Not sure how it works but I know a hacker has been watching everything on the drive because 6 months ago I had gotten hacked on a game I play. I had reformatted the drive entirely and had been the only person using this pc and specifically only to play that game. I got hacked again last week some how and once again reformatted the system. I decided not to play the game after being kinda burnt out on this whole situation... so after the reformat I changed all my info and my friend sent me a screen shot of my account logged in. That being said... is there a way to remove this virus? Or should I just remove the drive entirely and destroy it and buy a new ssd? Any help would be appreciated. 

3 minutes ago, Jason_Peppers said:

with a master boot record styled virus

MBR-viruses aren't a thing anymore. First of all, they don't work on UEFI-systems and secondly, you can't fit enough code in an MBR to actually do anything useful on a modern system. Also, getting hacked in a game doesn't mean you have a virus; you may just have shit passwords, for example, on your accounts.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

My passwords are greater than 15 characters containing upper, lower and numbers and special characters... not guess able by any means... which is why this is confusing. The game has authentication, in game bank pins to prevent then from stealing items and such as well. They knew the information and had my authenticator as well...

Restart your modem to change your public ip.

• CPU
    i7-6850k
  • Motherboard
    MSI X99A Sli Plus
  • RAM
    32GB Crucial Ballistix LP      DDR4-2400
  • GPU                                            MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8Gb
  • Case
    Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB
  • Storage
    Samsung 250GB 850 pro,        WD Black 1TB, WD blue 3TB
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w
  • Display(s)
    Asus vg248qe, Asus vg245h
  • Cooling
    Swiftech H220-x
  • Keyboard
    Logitech g910
  • Mouse
    Logitech g502
  • Sound
    Áudio Technica ATH-M50x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

MBR-viruses aren't a thing anymore. First of all, they don't work on UEFI-systems and secondly, you can't fit enough code in an MBR to actually do anything useful on a modern system. Also, getting hacked in a game doesn't mean you have a virus; you may just have shit passwords, for example, on your accounts.

I would agree with that, they still exist, but just fark up your boot ability. Cant take control or retrieve passwords from you.

What game were you playing? Just courious

1 minute ago, Tylerebowers said:

Restart your modem to change your public ip.

yep yep and double yup

7 minutes ago, Jason_Peppers said:

Runescape

I remember several years ago, runescape was underfired for not being secure and all the accounts being hacked, but as stated above, it was more the lack of personal security.

Most likely that was your problem. But, reset your ip and change your login credentials and you should be fine.

reboot router, command prompt, ipconfig /release, then ipconfig /renew.

quick goodle and you will be set

Is there any kind of virus or similar infections that can last through a reformat? It's just crazy that they keep guessing my info, authenticator and bank pin in game... no way that's a coincidence...

What are the chances a different partition could be infected and repeatedly pass it back to the system partition? I've not been able to entirely reformat the other partitions on a reformat. Not trying to drag this post on but I'm most certain that my system is infected in some way. 

Untitled.png

4 minutes ago, Jason_Peppers said:

What are the chances a different partition could be infected and repeatedly pass it back to the system partition? I've not been able to entirely reformat the other partitions on a reformat. Not trying to drag this post on but I'm most certain that my system is infected in some way. 

you dont have a virus, i promise

runescape is notoriously easy to hack. change your password.  create a bank pin.  dont bother setting up multi-factor authentication in game as its basically useless.

honestly even bank pin is basically worthless in that game.  

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

16 hours ago, Jason_Peppers said:

Untitled.png

Those partitions are only the tools of HP for their computers and the system recovery, I guess you feel like the other partitions are infected because you are reinstalling from the recovery console instead of doing a fresh installation. What you are saying is not likely to happen because usually those partitions are only used to repair or reinstall so they are never accessed in many cases, if it helps you to sleep better just do a fresh installation from the following link, the Windows 10 installer will get rid of all partitions during the installation process:

One thing I guess you need to know is that if you have installers in other partitions and you run those ones even when you are using an operating system recently installed in the system partition, if those installers are infected obviously you will infect your new OS.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

That's what I ended up doing. I was not able to remove those partitions during normal windows installation.  I ended up using a program to override permissions and format of them anyways. Now I'm on a completely 100% fresh install. I really hope the problem does not continue. Thank you to everybody that tried to help me. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/4/2019 at 5:35 PM, Jason_Peppers said:

Is there any kind of virus or similar infections that can last through a reformat? It's just crazy that they keep guessing my info, authenticator and bank pin in game... no way that's a coincidence...

I also play RS and was hacked a while ago. I suggest changing your email associated with your account as there apparently ways around authenticator via email. Change it to gmail or something else that you can also put 2fa on.