Battery that is 200V+ (18650 cells)

werto165

Has anyone had experience with 200+V battery packs made from 18650 cells?  I need to construct one for a project and I was wondering if anyone has any pointers if so could they DM me? 

Thanks. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

What cells are you gonna use?

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

200v DC is kind of a strange number... could you elaborate on why you would need such a high DC voltage?

It may make more sense for safety and other reasons (faster charging, thermals)  to build 24v (~6 in series) or 48v (~12 x 3.7v..4.2v in series) battery packs and use a dc-dc converter to boost to 200v or whatever voltage you'll need (there's ready made inverters and converters used for solar power industry, which can take 24-48v and convert it to higher AC or DC voltage.

Agree on using a lower voltage and boosting it. The main practical reason would be that a fully charged Li-ion cell is about 4.2V, while the cut-off voltage for a drained cell is around 3V. So, if you were to put 48 cells in series to get about 202V when fully charged, the voltage would drop during use to about 144V before you'd consider the pack to be depleted. If you use 67 cells to stay above 200V even when drained, it would be at 281V when fully charged. Such a large range is impractical to work with in most cases. The boost converter approach would naturally include regulation which provides a steady output voltage.

Ayy I'm going to be working on a 250v 18650 pack pretty soon. I'm worried about balancing, so I think I'll make 10 6s batteries with BMSs, and wire them in series. Just be careful with all of that, wear rubber sole shoes, know what you're touching, and keep your head on a swivel. I also recommend using xt60s for everything and nice silicone wire. Fuse your cells if possible. Also beware that whatever you plug in probably has some big filter caps which will pull a pretty huge inrush current, causing a big spark when you plug it in. 

ASU