What's the best possible performance I could get from X58?

XR6

Hi all, 

I'm thinking of building an X58-based PC.

What would be the best X58 CPU I can buy (and OC) at the moment? 

Why X58? X79 still a lot higher price tag?

I used to run an i7-960 but if you really want to build a system now the i7-970 would be better. If you don't want to OC or are fine with BCLK overclocking there's a ton of Xeon X5600 CPUs.

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Why X58?

Where I live motherboards are widely available and are priced quite well.

X79 still a lot higher price tag?

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

I used to run an i7-960 but if you really want to build a system now the i7-970 would be better. If you don't want to OC or are fine with BCLK overclocking there's a ton of Xeon X5600 CPUs.

I was primarily looking at Xeons since they're quite cheap (I know I can't OC them, but you get what you pay for). I'll take a look at i7-970s though.

Just now, 1kv said:

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

X79 is the next generation in HEDT, it's actually vastly better than X58 so if you can I would preference that. I just don't know how much more it would cost compared to an X58 system.

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

X79 is the next generation in HEDT, it's actually vastly better than X58 so if you can I would preference that. I just don't know how much more it would cost compared to an X58 system.

Ohh, I see. I've been looking at X79 for quite a while now but was also thinking about X58.

I can get a 4820k + Gigabyte X79-UP4 for £175, or I can get a 3930k + Gigabyte X79-UD3 for £150.

Why build on such an old platform, if I may ask so myself? Seems interesting, just asking out of curiosity.

Chasis: Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo || PSU: Seasonic PX 650 || Mobo: MSI Z690 Pro A || CPU: Intel i5 12600K || CPU Cooler: Lian Li Galahad AIO 240 || RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB @3200 || GPU: AORUS 4070 ti Elite || Boot Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB || Secondary Drive: Crucial MX300 525GB || HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Intake Fans: 3x Lian Li UniFan SL120 || Exhaust Fans: 2x Lian Li UniFan SL120 || Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless || Keyboard: Das Keyboard 4Q with Cherry MX Browns || Monitor: Acer Predator IPS 165Hz GSync

1 minute ago, hiimFred said:

Why build on such an old platform, if I may ask so myself? Seems interesting, just asking out of curiosity.

Mostly because parts are cheap and widely available, and partly because I like older hardware.

Just now, 1kv said:

Mostly because parts are cheap and widely available, and partly because I like older hardware.

I see. I like the idea. Hope you find what you're looking for. Used to rock an EVGA X58 Classified 3 way SLI myself for about 8 years.

Chasis: Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo || PSU: Seasonic PX 650 || Mobo: MSI Z690 Pro A || CPU: Intel i5 12600K || CPU Cooler: Lian Li Galahad AIO 240 || RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB @3200 || GPU: AORUS 4070 ti Elite || Boot Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB || Secondary Drive: Crucial MX300 525GB || HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Intake Fans: 3x Lian Li UniFan SL120 || Exhaust Fans: 2x Lian Li UniFan SL120 || Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless || Keyboard: Das Keyboard 4Q with Cherry MX Browns || Monitor: Acer Predator IPS 165Hz GSync

It depends on the motherboard you get. Something like evga sli or asus rampage 3 you can get a very nice overclock out if it. Usually these xeons run at 4ghz on good air or 4.4-4.5 ghz on water. They do produce a lot of heat and consume a lot of power. At full load x56xx chip can consume upto 400 watts that is a lot compare to the modern ryzen or coffee lake. The average cinebench score you can achive is around 1000 points.

x58 mobo have some issues, the first one is the north bridge it is getting very hot if the you running at 4+ ghz, so you need a fan blowing on it. The vrms are getting hot also. Then you buying x58 mobo you need a i7 920 for it just to update the bios (it cost araund $100 per kilo)

in my opinion the only way to build a x58 rig is if you already have the mobo or you get it dirt cheap.

the good ones cost as much as $100-150. 

I pushed my p6t (the build log is in the signature) to the max i’ve got all it can deliver 48 gb of ram, nvme support, usb 3, exept sli. And i had enough and going to move to 8700k.

Get it all working and perform just as good as modern hardware is great but it really does not worth it in a long run

Good luck anyway.

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

3 minutes ago, MaratM said:

It depends on the motherboard you get. Something like evga sli or asus rampage 3 you can get a very nice overclock out if it. Usually these xeons run at 4ghz on good air or 4.4-4.5 ghz on water. They do produce a lot of heat and consume a lot of power. At full load x56xx chip can consume upto 400 watts that is a lot compare to the modern ryzen or coffee lake. The average cinebench score you can achive is around 1000 points.

x58 mobo have some issues, the first one is the north bridge it is getting very hot if the you running at 4+ ghz, so you need a fan blowing on it. The vrms are getting hot also. Then you buying x58 mobo you need a i7 920 for it just to update the bios (it cost araund $100 per kilo)

in my opinion the only way to build a x58 rig is if you already have the mobo or you get it dirt cheap.

the good ones cost as much as $100-150. 

I pushed my p6t (the build log is in the signature) to the max i’ve got all it can deliver 48 gb of ram, nvme support, usb 3, exept sli. And i had enough and going to move to 8700k.

Get it all working and perform just as good as modern hardware is great but it really does not worth it in a long run

Good luck anyway.

Thanks, I appreciate the information. 

X58 Xeons OC very well. My x5680 is set at 4 Ghz for an everyday overclock. Many folks run them arong 4.5 GHz.

I would go for a 6c/12t 5650, 75, or 80.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430