Is Crossfire worth it?

So if you might can tell by my recent activity, I've been wanting to upgrade my gpu. I've asked a lot of topics about it as well. But I just got the idea of running crossfire. Now doing it with 2 Rx 580 8gbs would be pricey. But I had the idea of running two rx 570's. I saw a video testing them in crossfire and according to it, they beat the 1070. But I have heard disadvantages of crossfire and multi gpu solutions. I haven't done any multi gpu setups in my life so I'm wondering if it would be worth it. And I think it would be cool to have two gpu's running at the same time.

I have 650w corsair psu. Ark, fallout, farming sim, and gmod are usually what I play a lot.

18 minutes ago, The Apocalyptic Gamer said:

I have 650w corsair psu. Ark, fallout, farming sim, and gmod are usually what I play a lot.

From what I know, Ark is not multi-GPU friendly.

Farming Simulator and GMod does not support Crossfire / SLI.

For you use-case, better to go with a single powerful GPU instead.

Running Crossfire / SLI on lower-end GPUs is not worth it -- hence why even the GTX 1060 does not support SLI.

RX-580 would be okay, but would not recommend running Crossfire with anything below that.

You're already aware of some of the drawbacks with multi-GPU configurations, so I won't bore you with it.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

waste of money only a few games utilize crossfire and SLI and it barely makes a difference 

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 3600,   Aorus X370 K7,   XPG 16GB 3200,   Gigabyte 2070 Windforce Corsair RM650x,   LG 32GK650F-B 31.5" 144Hz QHD FreeSync VA,   Kingston 120GB SSD,   Samsung 1TB 860 QVO,   2TB HDD,   Fractal Design Meshify C,   Corsair K63 Wireless,   Corsair Gaming M65 PRO,   Audio Technica ATH M50x,   Windows 10 ProCorsair H100x 240mm.  (◣_◢)

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 1600,   Noctua NH-L12S,   Gigabyte GTX 1060 6G,   ASUS Prime B350 Plus,   HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 (2666MHz - 1.3v),   SilverStone ET550-B,   Kingston 120GB SSD 2TB HDD,   Cougar MX330,   Windows 10 Pro.  (◣_◢)

as a crossfire user from the ati x1600 days till today, no, I would not recommend AMD crossfire at all.

I will list the game that should run on AMD crossfire,

fallout 4, has profile and is supported, real world, it crashes all the time, within ten minutes usually.

far cry 3, has profile and is supported, real world, its crashes all the time, within ten minutes usually.

GTA 5, does not have profile and is supported, runs great on my crossfire.

BF 1, after waiting a year,it has a profile and is supported, this now runs fine.

dx9 titles like HL2 and its mod games seem to run well.

having brought enough gpu power to that of two times a game that would run on an xbox 1 or ps4, I found this option to be bad.

I would look at the 3d mark scores for the hardware to make a decision on what to buy, you can find information on what two cards would work like compared to a single card in the same price range. a good fast cpu is needed to gain real performance.

most modern titles like fallout 76 and post scrotum which I have purchased seem to not support and run badly on my rig. the latter being something I find offensive to be selling.

I only wrote this as I was looking for info on why crossfire is not working with fallout 4.

best regards,

Mr Perforations

On 2/3/2019 at 6:10 AM, The Apocalyptic Gamer said:

But I just got the idea of running crossfire.

In General: Multi GPU setups are for shits and giggles, not daily driver!

Because they just don't work too well and often have some really huge Problems.

One is for example the fact that it just doesn't work with many modern games and its just a hassle.

On 2/3/2019 at 9:43 AM, Wormhole said:

waste of money only a few games utilize crossfire and SLI and it barely makes a difference 

Might want to take a look at VEGA 56.

If you are lucky you might get one for like 310€ or so + Shipping.

I've seen one of those a couple of days ago.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

CF support has always been very game dependent. Although looking at the big picture things have definitely improved, they are still nowhere near ideal and it took a LONG time to even see this much improvement. Single GPU is still the way to go for guaranteed performance. 

"Rawr XD"