Need suggestions on aluminum profiles connection

Hi all,

I'm planning building a case from scratch. I won't go into the details yet, but I kinda hit an obstacle in the planning phase.

I'll be using 20x20x2mm aluminum L-shaped profiles for the skeleton. I'm trying to figure out a way, to connect 3 pieces in corners (like front, side and vertical) in a way that all 3 will be flush with each other. I won't be welding or gluing, I planned on using rivets and screws to put everything together.

My first idea was to cut 45 degree angles on all sides and use some sort of additional connecting piece, but I couldn't find one that would cover all 3 dimensions.

All retail cases I checked, are using some sort of bending to adjust the frame ends, but I don't really see myself replicating that... Any suggestions?

On 2/2/2019 at 4:13 PM, Shch00r said:

Hi all,

I'm planning building a case from scratch. I won't go into the details yet, but I kinda hit an obstacle in the planning phase.

I'll be using 20x20x2mm aluminum L-shaped profiles for the skeleton. I'm trying to figure out a way, to connect 3 pieces in corners (like front, side and vertical) in a way that all 3 will be flush with each other. I won't be welding or gluing, I planned on using rivets and screws to put everything together.

My first idea was to cut 45 degree angles on all sides and use some sort of additional connecting piece, but I couldn't find one that would cover all 3 dimensions.

All retail cases I checked, are using some sort of bending to adjust the frame ends, but I don't really see myself replicating that... Any suggestions?

Depends on what you plan on building your case out of most manufactured cases are of pench and bent steel requiring on frame. For the corner section if you plan to use that as a the mounting itself you're best to make a block for fastening like Parvum cases does. Only real way for thin extruded channel to be flush like that is to cop the section and weld them.

https://www.parvumsystems.com/product/modding-cube

8 hours ago, W-L said:

For the corner section if you plan to use that as a the mounting itself you're best to make a block for fastening like Parvum cases does.

Believe it or not that was literally my first idea that came to my mind :)

But couldn't find anything like this here in Poland.

Thanks, will consider buying them :)

10 hours ago, Shch00r said:

Believe it or not that was literally my first idea that came to my mind :)

But couldn't find anything like this here in Poland.

Thanks, will consider buying them :)

Just remember most L channel extrusions have a radius in the interior corner so you may have to round off the corner of those cubes or remove the radius in the channel for it to all sit nice and flush. Not sure how large your channel is but the cubes are rather small at only 12mm. 

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-professional-brass-modding-cube-dark-grey-cm-01b-op.html

Image result for cross section of aluminum L channel