What component is this that is running so hot?

Ok,so ever since I had this new motherboard installed back in 2016, I've noticed this weird high heat situation going on (see screenshot) that I pretty much blew away for awhile but I am now worried it might over time decrease my computer's life. I cannot, despite having years of experience messing around with computers, figure out what component it is that is running this hot as open Hardware Monitor doesn't say what it is. SHould I be worried about this? My previous motherboard (MSI K9N Neo V2 that died a few years ago) never had any of these high temperature readings. I am suspecting it might be the chipset temperature going crazy since I did have an issue with my some intermittent internet connectivity and crashing applications that resolved itself after a reboot and a little waiting yesterday.

Specs:

MSI H81M-P33 motherboard

8GB DDR3 RAM

MSI GT630 2GB GDDR3 (reused from a previous build)

Intel Celeron G1820 2.7GHz

240 GB Radeon R3 Series SSD

480 GB Kingston A400 SSD

600W LC Power quiet power supply

LiteON generic optical drive

Capture.PNG

I think there is a problem in sensor or in software, if the CPU temp will get at that level the PC will be automatically shut down. You really don't need to worry about that. Also you can use CPU-z for keeping eye on the it's a really good software

Try a different utility to confirm.  HWiNFO is my go to.  Also something like Intel XTU.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Probably a sensor issue but if it shows up on a different hardware monitor reapply more thermal paste

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 3600,   Aorus X370 K7,   XPG 16GB 3200,   Gigabyte 2070 Windforce Corsair RM650x,   LG 32GK650F-B 31.5" 144Hz QHD FreeSync VA,   Kingston 120GB SSD,   Samsung 1TB 860 QVO,   2TB HDD,   Fractal Design Meshify C,   Corsair K63 Wireless,   Corsair Gaming M65 PRO,   Audio Technica ATH M50x,   Windows 10 ProCorsair H100x 240mm.  (◣_◢)

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 1600,   Noctua NH-L12S,   Gigabyte GTX 1060 6G,   ASUS Prime B350 Plus,   HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 (2666MHz - 1.3v),   SilverStone ET550-B,   Kingston 120GB SSD 2TB HDD,   Cougar MX330,   Windows 10 Pro.  (◣_◢)

Thanks for the info! Will check tommorow with HWInfo. I have CPU Z and will inspect with that to. Are you sure it isn't a VRM or chipset temp reading?

1 hour ago, Divergent2000 said:

Thanks for the info! Will check tommorow with HWInfo. I have CPU Z and will inspect with that to. Are you sure it isn't a VRM or chipset temp reading?

A good way to tell that it's just a faulty or unused sensor is if the reading doesn't change. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Ok, so I downloaded HWinfo and it turns out that AUXTIN1 is the one that is running hottest and fluctuates between 115 and 120 degrees celsius depending on what I am doing.

About 20 minutes ago I was getting ready to OC my video card so I decided to first ramp up the fan speed to max speed as I always before overclocking. Before I even had a chance to mess with the OC settings, my PC froze and would only let me select desktop icons and then just completely froze for a bit. After bashing CtrlAltDel for a while it recovered and I opened Open Hardware monitor as I hadn't downloaded HWifo. The hotter sensor (which shows up in HWifo as AUXTIN1) was reading 119-120C! By the time I downloaded HWinfo it had cooled a few degrees and would run 117-118 with a max GPU fan and max GPU core OC. Now it is sitting at 116C while I'm typing this (video card on default settings now since I'm not gaming or running any demos). AUXTIN 2 seems to not have anything to do with the AUXTIN1 situation, but runs at 110-113C. Are these the motherboard's DC-DC converter chips heating up like this? What is also weird is that running furmark both with default fan speed and full speed a moment ago actually cooled AUXTIN1 to 114C. I'm honestly not to sure about these readings, but the freezups that happen at around 119-120C are worrying me big time. Alos of note is that when my video card draws extra power with/without OC and has fan on max, the 12V line sags from 12.495-12.233V and fluctuates in that range. Also, one of the low voltage lines fluctuates a little in the same situation.

• 2 years later...

@Divergent2000 -Did you ever get this figured out? I have an MSI z370 Gaming M% motherboard that shows it has maxed out at 125C with nothing running. It fluctuates widely and sometimes dips down to 0c so I'm pretty sure this is just a sensor header that is not used for anything and most likely not even a bad sensor?