Got a strange question about external hard drives.

Keengrod

So I just built my new pc using a msi mpg pro carbon and sadly one the two m.2 ports doesn't work. I am still within the return time but since I have it all set up I was kinda thinking about going around the issue by getting a m.2 to sata 3 adapter. I was already planning on using an external hard drive enclosure, such as this, to house my 4tb ssd. Does anyone know if an adapted m.2 to sata 3 would work running though such an enclosure? I am sure it would effect the speed of the m.2 but I was only planing on using it for overflow storage anyway. I am booting off my other one. BTW both m.2 are 1tb Samsung 970 evos.

It would work but it would be a waste - your very nice 970 evo would be capped by the sata speed. I'd rather get a pci-e card for m.2 or replace the board.

It's also possible that your 2nd M.2 slot has to be enabled in the BIOS, did you check for that?

Yup! Check your BIOS settings or try another known-working SSD just to make sure.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming