Audio digital optical cable - dangerous?

Midevil Chaos
Go to solution Solved by BobVonBob,

Optical cables generate about as much heat as a laser pointer. If anything they create less heat than normal cables.

I was Googling my question, but couldn't find the answer. Since I work from home, I often have electronics turned on near 24/7 (especially speakers which are on 24/7), I am wondering if using digital optical cables are safe to use since of the heat, which I assume would be generated because of the light being passed through.

Optical cables generate about as much heat as a laser pointer. If anything they create less heat than normal cables.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

4 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Well then, this is perfect! Thanks :)

yep before i went hdmi i was optical and had it on 24/7 7 days a week with only restarts for almost 3 years...so no worries

1 minute ago, circeseye said:

yep before i went hdmi i was optical and had it on 24/7 7 days a week with only restarts for almost 3 years...so no worries

Seems like you and I are the same. I have kept my pc speakers on for the last 5 years (minus when I moved of course), all because the manufacturer thought it was a good idea of putting an on/off switch on the subwoofer instead of the actual volume controller piece. Not sure anybody would bend down just to turn off pc speakers lol.