re: Samsung CJG50

bp_

Oh hi,

Following a friend's recommendation I got myself a Samsung CJG50, a Samsung monitor with 1440p and 144Hz, on discount for €279 down from €350 or so. This is meant to accompany the 1080p 144Hz ASUS VG428QE I got for some 200 euros or so at Mediamarkt a while ago.

The monitor itself is... nice overall, but the stand is garbage (no adjustment + the monitor is actually tilted looking down??) and the ghosting is at the edge of tolerability. And, unlike my ASUS monitor, there seems to be no way to find a better tradeoff between ghosting and overdrive.

Another friend who missed on the discount is offering to buy this display off me for the discounted price. Let's say I agreed; what is the current meta on 1440p 144Hz monitors? or is this monitor already quite the sweet spot in terms of price/quality? I'm happy with going a bit above the €300 for something I'll be staring at quite a while, but not too much. What I definitely would be less happy happy with is adding too many inches to the diagonal.

For context, my rig's running a 1070Ti; the projected use is gaming-heavy, with my current obsession being Path of Exile (with some less demanding games thrown in here and there).

32 minutes ago, bp_ said:

Oh hi,

Following a friend's recommendation I got myself a Samsung CJG50, a Samsung monitor with 1440p and 144Hz, on discount for €279 down from €350 or so. This is meant to accompany the 1080p 144Hz ASUS VG428QE I got for some 200 euros or so at Mediamarkt a while ago.

The monitor itself is... nice overall, but the stand is garbage (no adjustment + the monitor is actually tilted looking down??) and the ghosting is at the edge of tolerability. And, unlike my ASUS monitor, there seems to be no way to find a better tradeoff between ghosting and overdrive.

Another friend who missed on the discount is offering to buy this display off me for the discounted price. Let's say I agreed; what is the current meta on 1440p 144Hz monitors? or is this monitor already quite the sweet spot in terms of price/quality? I'm happy with going a bit above the €300 for something I'll be staring at quite a while, but not too much. What I definitely would be less happy happy with is adding too many inches to the diagonal.

For context, my rig's running a 1070Ti; the projected use is gaming-heavy, with my current obsession being Path of Exile (with some less demanding games thrown in here and there).

I have the same one, though I bought it for 350 a while back :(. I notice some ghosting as well, but AFAIK there aren't really any competitors where you live ( I think I know where you bought the monitor since I saw the discount ^^). The closest I found for a 1440p 144Hz is the MSI MAG27Qcq or the Acer nitro vg270up, both of which are €400 and the MSI one is also VA so there is the chance of it suffering from ghosting as well. I think you'd be damned to a TN panel if you want 1440p 144Hz for that budget. Personally I prefer the little ghosting over a washed out TN panel. Should be said that the MSI has freesync and it's compatible with Nvidia (according to MSI), not sure about the Acer.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

Yeah, full disclosure, I live in Amsterdam. I dunno, I'm open to something in the 400 euros range. I looked at this article and the MSI Optix MAG27CQ on amazon.de kinda looks tempting...

Worst case scenario I can keep gaming on the 1080p 144Hz panel and use the 2k monitor for ???????????? where the extra pixel count ends up mattering much more

7 hours ago, bp_ said:

Yeah, full disclosure, I live in Amsterdam. I dunno, I'm open to something in the 400 euros range. I looked at this article and the MSI Optix MAG27CQ on amazon.de kinda looks tempting...

Worst case scenario I can keep gaming on the 1080p 144Hz panel and use the 2k monitor for ???????????? where the extra pixel count ends up mattering much more

Can you stretch to €599? The new gigabyte monitor - ordered one myself yesterday. Read very good reviews, 10 bit colour (okay only HDR400), free sync, 1440 144hz ticks all the boxes 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD