Silent NAS HDD - Is it even possible?

Baterka

Hi,

my question is simple. Is there real quiet NAS drive (HDD)? I testes WD Red and WD Red Pro and they are both very noisy when read/write. (Pro is even more).

Website programmer & Electrician & PC HW lover!

HDDs are inherintly not silent, and NAS drives aren't really designed for it, since they'll usually be sitting in servers in server closets somewhere far away from everybody. If you want true silent operation, go for SSDs

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

51 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

HDDs are inherintly not silent, and NAS drives aren't really designed for it, since they'll usually be sitting in servers in server closets somewhere far away from everybody. If you want true silent operation, go for SSDs

I don't want SSD. I need at least 6TB of space. I know they are not 100% silent but I need some what is less loud than those WD Reds. Also it must be designed for 24/7

2 hours ago, Baterka said:

I don't want SSD. I need at least 6TB of space. I know they are not 100% silent but I need some what is less loud than those WD Reds. Also it must be designed for 24/7

How loud can it be? I have had some hdds that are pretty quiet, look for the lower rpm ones. Id try the seagate barracuda 4tb+ dirves. How about this https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STEB8000100/dp/B01HAPGEIE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1548871649&sr=8-5&keywords=8tb+hdd

Then take the drive out of the case.

3 hours ago, Baterka said:

Soundproof the actual case then. Server hardware are not silent. No need for silence in a air conditioned server hall. I have two WD reds in a 2 bay nas in the hallway and that is the way to do it in an home environment.

My computer is water cooled and I never heard my disks chatter... Maybe look at getting something like a Fractal Design R5 or NZXT H440. I don't think I've ever heard disks louder than case fans since 2010?

I have 4 WD reds and can't honestly say I hear them. The normal reds are 5400 already so I don't know what else to recommend... maybe the one you got is failing?

I have NAS right next to TV and my WD Blue 1TB, WD Red 4TB and WD Red Pro 8TB are clicky when I watch movie from drive. I can hear it. Res Pro is most but I understand that this drive is for server racks.

So you saying guys that just not buy any normal pc drive, leave my WD Red be and invest into noise cancelling NAS and other equipment? Or invest into low noise drives what are not made for NAS?

3 hours ago, Mikensan said:

My computer is water cooled and I never heard my disks chatter... Maybe look at getting something like a Fractal Design R5 or NZXT H440. I don't think I've ever heard disks louder than case fans since 2010?

I have 4 WD reds and can't honestly say I hear them. The normal reds are 5400 already so I don't know what else to recommend... maybe the one you got is failing?

Its not failing, its new

On 1/30/2019 at 6:21 PM, Baterka said:

Its not failing, its new

New drives can be DOA as with anything, it's just surprising the drives are loud enough you can hear them 10ft away. I would look into putting some sound dampening around the case, or possibly a smaller case that might fit behind the TV stand?