Linus pic stolen for meme's sake

MandoPanda

Looks like someone jacked a photo from the LTT Twitter to use for 9gag level memes. I've seen it on Instagram, Reddit, and some random websites. Lol. 

Original content: 

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 22.17.05 .jpg

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 22.14.14 .jpg

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 22.16.41 .jpg

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 22.26.00 .jpg

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

There's an entire thread for just for those types of memes on LTT, also there's no such thing as stealing when it comes to making memes, that's the whole reason people are upset about Article 13 

Edited by SansVarnic
Content removed, Backseat moderation

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

5 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

post your future meme's of Linus there

Lol, did this one make it onto our that subthread?

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

21 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

that's the whole reason people are upset about Article 13 

Article 13 has nothing to do with memes and it's problematic for completely different reasons.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Article 13 has nothing to do with memes and it's problematic for completely different reasons.

i think you need to do a little bit of more research. like really understand what Article 11 and Article 13 are actually campaigning. 

Article 11 and Article 13 – that have been dubbed the “link tax” and “meme ban” articles respectively. Critics of the Directive on Copyright argue that these articles mean that platforms will have to pay a fee to share a link to a news article and have to start filtering and removing memes.

which means Pepe the creator can sue you for using his character now more than ever, which he already has but it's gonna be 10 times more easier for him to sue the platform rather than the creator, people who are pissed if they used their photos for a meme are now have power to sue the entire platform for lett user host them without his/her permission. 
Meme's are absolutely a part of the concerns in relation to Article 11 and 13. 

here are some good videos to catch up on,

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

2 hours ago, MandoPanda said:

Looks like someone jacked a photo from the LTT Twitter to use for 9gag level memes. I've seen it on Instagram, Reddit, and some random websites. Lol

Free advertising for LTT then.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

i think you need to do a little bit of more research. like really understand what Article 11 and Article 13 are actually campaigning. 

Article 11 and Article 13 – that have been dubbed the “link tax” and “meme ban” articles respectively. Critics of the Directive on Copyright argue that these articles mean that platforms will have to pay a fee to share a link to a news article and have to start filtering and removing memes.

which means Pepe the creator can sue you for using his character now more than ever, which he already has but it's gonna be 10 times more easier for him to sue the platform rather than the creator, people who are pissed if they used their photos for a meme are now have power to sue the entire platform for lett user host them without his/her permission. 
Meme's are absolutely a part of the concerns in relation to Article 11 and 13. 

here are some good videos to catch up on,

I don't need to watch 10 videos when I can read the articles. Nowhere do they mention anything close to a "meme ban" and they can't be exploited in that sense any more than current copyright law can. Article 13 in particular only requires platforms to implement automated copyright filters; this already exists on sites like youtube and facebook, and yet I don't see them removing memes. The problem is that smaller platforms may be unable to fulfill that requirement and be forced to shut down, essentially limiting content sharing to megacorp sponsored sites - which also means being at the whim of their content filters and policies. Calling it a meme ban is off the mark and frankly harmful.

If your site hosts my copyrighted work, I can already sue you. There are no changes to that state of things in either article 11 or 13. There is nothing in those articles that extends copyright protection to my holiday pictures I posted online. All of that is pure imagination. Yes, "copyrighted work" in that context is vague, but there are plenty of laws defining what copyrighted work IS, outside of these articles; it's not like they are suddenly going to be the only two paragraphs in European copyright law.

If people keep complaining about the wrong thing, lawmakers will never be bothered to listen - they'll just shrug it off as misinformed fear mongering, which it partly is.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

35 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I don't need to watch 10 videos when I can read the articles. Nowhere do they mention anything close to a "meme ban" and they can't be exploited in that sense any more than current copyright law can.

so unless an article says "meme ban" you won't acknowledge the seriousness presented in any videos that i presented to you? okay. 

4 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

also there's no such thing as stealing when it comes to making memes, that's the whole reason people are upset about Article 13 

all i said was people were concerned about those articles when it comes to sharing memes or creating them out of copyrighted material, it is implied i meant it was ONE OF THE REASON people are concerned, not the entire reason people are concerned and ofcourse i do know its problematic in a lot of ways and memes are also part of it, are you seriously saying meme's have nothing to worry about post Article 11 and 13 implementation ? are you seriously saying giphy that hosts meme gifs from copyrighted material are totally fine and they won't be held accountable by the EU if even one person try to sue them? 

Article 11 and Article 13 – that have been dubbed the “link tax” and “meme ban” articles respectively.

i didn't dub them as link tax and meme ban, people did. becasue that's what it is. 

since you only read 

https://www.impactbnd.com/blog/eu-article-13-copyright-plan-puts-link-strategies-memes-at-risk

https://www.alphr.com/politics/1009470/article-13-eu-what-is-it-copyright

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1022148/Article-13-EU-copyright-law-explained-eu-meme-ban

it seems like you really want to double down that memes and Article 11 & 13 have nothing to do with each other, this has to be either a good case of cognitive dissonance or you're really being a troll. either way there's no point in continuing in this discussion. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

6 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

so unless an article says "meme ban" you won't acknowledge the seriousness presented in any videos that i presented to you? okay.

I don't need it to say "meme ban", I need it to say anything at all  that could be used to ban memes any more than the rest of existing copyright law.

7 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

all i said was people were concerned about those articles when it comes to sharing memes or creating them out of copyrighted material, it is implied i meant it was ONE OF THE REASON people are concerned, not the entire reason people are concerned and ofcourse i do know its problematic in a lot of ways and memes are also part of it, are you seriously saying meme's have nothing to worry about post Article 11 and 13 implementation ? are you seriously saying giphy that hosts meme gifs from copyrighted material are totally fine and they won't be held accountable by the EU if even one person try to sue them?

Shutting down giphy is not a ban on memes... I mean, if giphy shut down tomorrow for other reasons would that be the death of memes? Memes will not become inherently illegal, nor will they be specifically targeted in any way. Calling it a ban on memes is both incorrect and it places the focus on completely the wrong thing.

Also, friendly reminder - giphy could already be sued over individual copyright infringement, or at least forced to take some content down. The difference is that with Article 13 they could be sued for not implementing automated filters.

19 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

it seems like you really want to double down that memes and Article 11 & 13 have nothing to do with each other, this has to be either a good case of cognitive dissonance or you're really being a troll. either way there's no point in continuing in this discussion. 

Yes, not agreeing with a reductive and overly simplistic interpretation of the articles must clearly be cognitive dissonance or trolling.

By that logic, regulating loot boxes as gambling is a ban on videogames.

"oh, but you can't argue games won't be affected!" "if we take it to the most unreasonable extreme possible, all forms of rng in a game could be considered gambling!" "but publishers will make less money and be less willing to publish games!"

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

12 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Shutting down giphy is not a ban on memes...Memes will not become inherently illegal, nor will they be specifically targeted in any way

you keep coming to the same point, that was never the point of this discussion, article 11 and 13 only affect EU, ofcourse it will hardly make a dent on memes elsewhere, the whole point that was you claiming memes will be totally fine and people have nothing to worry about as it has nothing to do with both proposed articles, running in circles here. i never said they are gonna ban meme in my entire discussion, stop skipping over this statement, i said "this is why people are worried about article 13" &11.. i merely addressed your comment saying ofcourse meme's will be affected by these propositions. again this is not me saying it's gonna ban meme, it's me saying people are concerned becasue of it. 

as for rest of your statements - strawmans ... 

Edited by Rohith_Kumar_Sp
word

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

-= Locked =-

We have a thread for Linus Memes.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER