Want to Upgrade my 6600k to: 9600k, 1700x or 2600x?

Hello, I want to upgrade my 6600k and would like to stay under $300(I will go a little higher if it's actually worth it). I do gaming, some video editing and use the creative cloud suite. In that order from most important to least lol. If I spend around $300 for the cpu I want it to last for at least 3-4 years, that's usually my upgrade cycle. I tend to do one year gpu upgrade following year rest of computer upgrade. Then wait a year or two before upgrading anything else. Last year I bought a Vega 56 and this year it's time to upgrade everything else.

I've been looking around and I think i've landed on these three:

• 9600k - Just because i've always been with intel so figured an upgrade is an upgrade lol
  • 1700x - The pricing is around $160 which is fantastic, I could overclock it and will allow me to spend elsewhere and I wouldn't feel as guilty upgrading to ryzen 3rd gen if it's actually better or can match intel in gaming performance
  • 2600x - I'm a little scared because gaming benchmarks were a little less then my 6600k but I don't know how good it would overclock.

Thank you everyone for your help and i'm open to suggestions of other processors :) .

Depends on if you want to work/stream/edit on it, just gaming and you can blow the cash for a few extra frames 9600K, the other two its basically the same, pay more for a few more frames/faster productivity. Also the higher the resolution, the less of a gaming difference you'll see.

11 minutes ago, Dvrman123 said:

I do gaming, some video editing and use the creative cloud suite

In that case, the 9600K is the obvious choice as Adobe applications favour Intel CPUs, and the 9600K is one of the best CPUs for gaming.

That being said, I suggest you wait until Zen 2 chips hit the market, and then decide what CPU to buy. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, Geography said:

In that case, the 9600K is the obvious choice as Adobe applications favour Intel CPUs, and the 9600K is one of the best CPUs for gaming.

That being said, I suggest you wait until Zen 2 chips hit the market, and then decide what CPU to buy. 

That's a good point, I actually forgot that Adobe Creative Cloud favors Intel. That's a huge one for me as I do all my work in there. 

Do you think Zen 2 chips will blow everyone out of the water? 

Just now, Dvrman123 said:

If you want me to be brutally honest, no. But they will certainly be an amazing value compared to Intel chips, even though they may not take the crown for gaming.

But keep in mind that this is just speculation. We'll get to see real benchmarks later this year (hopefully).

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 minutes ago, Dvrman123 said:

That's a good point, I actually forgot that Adobe Creative Cloud favors Intel. That's a huge one for me as I do all my work in there. 

No. Zen 2 is an improvement for sure, but its not gonna blow any chip out of the water. It looks like its gonna be 4.5-4.7 ghz, not 5 ghz, and its gonna take a lot more for ryzen to fully catch up to intel on the gaming front, but as for adobe goes, thats on adobe to optimize and they just dont care

1 minute ago, Geography said:

If you want me to be brutally honest, no. But they will certainly be an amazing value compared to Intel chips, even though they may not take the crown for gaming.

But keep in mind that this is just speculation. We'll get to see real benchmarks later this year (hopefully).

Very cool, I appreciate you honesty and I love that AMD is making Intel innovate again. The funny thing is that my 6600k is actually bottle necking my Vega 56 in CPU intensive games. I honestly didn't think that would happen. I could probably stay with the 6600k for another year or so but I really want to shrink my pc from a full ATX to a mini ITX and RGB the hell out of it lol damn you vega and your light up radeon logo, you made me crave RGB.

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

as for adobe goes, thats on adobe to optimize and they just dont care

This just makes me sad, I think Ryzen could probably perform better than Intel on their products with all of their cores and threads. 

1 minute ago, Dvrman123 said:

This just makes me sad, I think Ryzen could probably perform better than Intel on their products with all of their cores and threads. 

Thats just because adobe is horrible at fixing things they break in a timely manner, they dont optimize well for intel hardware either btw (took almost 5 years for them to utilize more then 8 cores in a beneficial way) 

Ryzen has always been a bit slower, but in most programs thats fine as its impacts performance slightly. Adobe CRAVES speed, the faster the CPU the better it can perform. a 4c8t Chip at 5 GHZ has been shown to be able to compete with a 6c12t or 8c16t Chip at 4ghz and such, and honestly thats just utilization and optimization