How to adjust memory timings on a laptop.

Hi everyone!

I recently started doing some tweaking on my laptop and i've noticed there are no memory settings in the bios, not even xmp. I want to tune my dimms to run at CL:9 timmings and possibly overclock them to 1866Mhz. Is there any other way to alter/ adjust memory frequency and timings on a laptop?

Thanks in advance!~

Laptop : Acer Aspire E1-572G-7450161TMnll 

Specs: 

-CPU : Core i7 4500U

-GPU: AMD Radeon R7 M265 

-RAM: 2x Kingston ACR16D3LS1KFG/8G DDR3 @1600Mhz Cl:11

-HDD: WD10JPLX 1TB

Capturememory.PNG

Capturespd.PNG

19 minutes ago, AshleyKitty123 said:

Hi everyone!

I recently started doing some tweaking on my laptop and i've noticed there are no memory settings in the bios, not even xmp. I want to tune my dimms to run at CL:9 timmings and possibly overclock them to 1866Mhz. Is there any other way to alter/ adjust memory frequency and timings on a laptop?

Thanks in advance!~

Laptop : Acer Aspire E1-572G-7450161TMnll 

Specs: 

-CPU : Core i7 4500U

-GPU: AMD Radeon R7 M265 

-RAM: 2x Kingston ACR16D3LS1KFG/8G DDR3 @1600Mhz Cl:11

-HDD: WD10JPLX 1TB

Most laptops, if not all, don't allow custom tweaking of memory timings or overclocking the CPU. Some will have turbo percentage % options, depending on what type of laptop it is, but again, you're not going to be manually setting clock speeds or RAM timings in laptops.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Most laptops have the usual custom timing and DIMM profiles but are hidden away from the user so need to be unhidden or adjusted via dmpstore or UEFI utility such as RU.EFI. Post on Win-raid.com if your interested in un-hidding the settings. Alternatively the SPD can usually be modified. There are some Windows utilities as well such as Asrock's timing configurator and MemTweaker but the BIOS usually locks the memory mapped registers needed to make adjustments.

AWOL

On 1/29/2019 at 2:55 PM, X_X said:

Alternatively the SPD can usually be modified.

I know. I found this on NotebookReview (http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/guide-how-to-overclock-and-change-timings-for-any-ram-on-most-laptops.805589/) before creating this thread, but unfortunately i'm not that familiar with all these terms and idk how to perform such an operation. A step-by-step guide for beginners would be helpful. And also i'm concered with what would happen to my sticks if i flash them incorrectly, or the flashed timings cannot run?

You are not suppose to overclock laptop.  Look what Nvidia did to the Mobile 2080, they gimped it because its too hot

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

1 hour ago, THraShArD said:

You are not suppose to overclock laptop.

This thread is not about how to overclock a laptop, i am aware of the limitations of mobile machines and their poor cooling, my laptop fortunately not beeing one of those, having already overclocked its gpu and both cpu and gpu never going above 65-68 C, This is about tweaking memory timings on a non gaming / modern laptop with a locked down bios.

If you are a programmer you can do it and design your own BIOS.

I know someone from IBM that designed a method, when the CPU reaches a certain temp, the CPU fan will actually stop and reverse the fan kicking out any dust bunnies and stop again, reversing the fan back to normal. 

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |

9 minutes ago, THraShArD said:

If you are a programmer you can do it and design your own BIOS.

I know someone from IBM that designed a method, when the CPU reaches a certain temp, the CPU fan will actually stop and reverse the fan kicking out any dust bunnies and stop again, reversing the fan back to normal.

What does this have to do with my question about memory timings...

Laptops have always had a locked down BIOS, unless you use a custom one

Download RWEverything from here. Be careful how you use this program as exception handling is poor meaning BSOD is easily achieved with wrong input.

Click first button, "PCI Devices" and select "SMBUS Controller"

1.png.b896c83bab7590767cca84e43bf70520.png

Double click on the dword at Reg 0x40 and check bit 4 is set to 0.

2.png.edfaa729899dfd017140cb80956a41d4.png

If it's not zero then SMBUS SPD writes are disabled so either a BIOS mod is required or the SODIMM needs to be programmed externally, example here

Some SPD chips have protection from writing to the first 128 bytes, if it's hard set then the SPD chip will need to be changed out, if soft set then usually a special voltage needs to be set on one of the SPD chip's SMBUS address select pins. Need to check relevant SPD chip data sheet.

Other option is to program an XMP profile which comes after the first 128 bytes but XMP will need to be selected in the BIOS.

If external programming then any mistakes can easily be rectified by reprogramming and of course before doing any programming a backup of the SPD data should be made for each module by simply reading the data into a file.

If programming in SITU then only use one SODIMM first. If it's bad it can be replaced with the unmodified SO-DIMM to POST and then usually the bad SO-DIMM can be inserted as it is usual for the BIOS to remove power to the empty slot but you need to check to be certain this is the case. The Bad SO-DIMM SPD can still be accessed and reprogrammed.

Find out how to do a CMOS reset and check that it works before you change anything.

RWEverything can also be used to program SPD data.

FWIW Personally for my Core 2 Duo laptop I programmed the SPD simply because it was hardware modified to run BCLK at 333MHz instead of 266MHz. The RAM needed to be adjusted for the higher clock or it would not post. By doing it through SPD there wasn't any problem if a reset occurred. That laptop did many hours and still works today. My Haswell laptop had an option to enable hidden settings without a modified BIOS although I modified the BIOS anyway. At the time I bought it, it had only one DDR3L SO-DIMM and DDR3L was hard to find locally at the time so ended up with 2 SO-DIMMS from different manufacturers but timing was much the same. I used the BIOS settings to increase from 1600MT/s to 1867MT/s and it's been working fine like that for the last 5 years.

Nan.png.c7bfb20e1da90aa46c21893720b257bd.png

Tra.png.4df4e22b0348283c9367c12452603901.png

BIOS.png.01313db745fcf696a7dd339931aa9131.png

3.png.98533fb2fa57b13fa6348e34cada74cf.png

If this is your BIOS then these are the options it contains including the hidden ones. IFR.zip

You might find this thread interesting but whatever you do always have a recovery plan and part of that means taking backups before you start modifying. You can get some good advice as to what to do by posting on Win-raid.com.

AWOL