Need a laptop + tablet or a 2 in 1

R9_AR

Hi guys,

So im studying maths and econ at university and I need a new laptop. Because of commuting, I'd need something rather portable so perhaps an ultrabook. I do occasionally game but I run pretty CPU intensive software. I was thinking of buying a 13-inch or 15-inch laptop like the Huawei Matebook X Pro and a tablet to do my maths work on it. Otherwise, I was thinking of a 2 in 1 such as the Microsoft Surface Book 2.

Features I need:

16GB

Light and Portable

Touchscreen

A dedicated graphics card would be ideal for the occasional gaming

Great battery

A nice and bright screen that is big enough to use apps like OneNote to do my maths work at it

Nice speakers would be ideal

Large Trackpad and Nice Keyboard if its a 2 in 1 or a laptop.

I've looked at multiple reviews of different laptops. I was thinking of the Dell XPS 13 with a Microsoft Surface Go, the Lenovo Yoga C930, the Razor Blade Stealth with the Microsoft Surface Go, the Microsoft Surface Book 2 etc.

I'm obviously doing a lot of typing for economics and a lot of maths work so i'd need something with a very good touch screen that isn't delayed if I was to use the stylus.

Please leave below your suggestions!

I bought the surface book 2 (15" 512gb ssd) and ended up returning it. I found that the trackpad and keyboard had a slight delay (could be an issue with just that unit) and that the cpu was really underwhelming. The i7 8650u is a 15w part (they run it at 20w in the 15") but it really is underwhelming. I even tweaked it with throttlestop to run better, but it just was disappointing in a 3k$ laptop. 

I'm using a MacBook pro and an iPad and love the combination. Most people i know who get a convertible laptop (or even use the iPad for hand written notes) end up switching back to paper. Its a novelty that wears out after a bit IMO. 

I think i'll stick with the laptop or tablet just because using paper would make the organisation of work a lot less neater. I thought of getting a Macbook but it just seems a bit too overated and a lot more expensive compared to other alternatives

15 hours ago, R9_AR said:

Touchscreen

A dedicated graphics card

Large Trackpad

Are these a must?

Preferred max weight in kg/lbs and min battery life in hours? Approximately how many nits of brightness you want the display to be?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Are these a must?

Preferred max weight in kg/lbs and min battery life in hours? Approximately how many nits of brightness you want the display to be?

I commute to university that is based outside of London everyday from London and I'm usually there from 10am-6pm. Including the commuting, there would be an additional 2-3 hours. In that case, I'd need the 2 in 1 laptop/laptop+tablet to be used for 12 hours+

Ideal weight for the laptop would be <1.5kg since I'll be carrying it in a rucksack all day.

The dedicated graphics card isn't a must but it would be nice to play games occasionally with a smooth gaming experience. I currently have the Acer Aspire V Nitro with i7-7700HQ at 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM and a GTX 1060 apparently. However, the laptop doesn't work unless its charger is plugged in and charging the laptop and it is very heavy.

A Large Trackpad isn't a must either but it would be ideal as my hands are big.

Touchscreen would also be preferrable.

Thanks for your help!

16 hours ago, R9_AR said:

12 hours+

This is very hard to be achieved (might want to lower a bit), with dGPU it's almost impossible

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

16 hours ago, R9_AR said:

12 hours+

In my experience this means either a macbook or an XPS 13 (1080p, no dGPU) with very light use such as typing. My XPS 13 9360 gets me through the day on a single charge, lasting me between 6-8 hours depending on how much is open and what I run.

On 1/28/2019 at 10:25 PM, R9_AR said:

I'm obviously doing a lot of typing for economics and a lot of maths work so i'd need something with a very good touch screen that isn't delayed if I was to use the stylus.

May I suggest pen and paper? Zero input lag, maximum responsiveness for the fraction of a cost.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

14 hours ago, tikker said:

In my experience this means either a macbook or an XPS 13 (1080p, no dGPU) with very light use such as typing. My XPS 13 9360 gets me through the day on a single charge, lasting me between 6-8 hours depending on how much is open and what I run.

May I suggest pen and paper? Zero input lag, maximum responsiveness for the fraction of a cost.

Thanks for the suggestion! I was thinking of the Dell XPS 13 but I'd need a tablet to go with it. I use pen and paper but it adds weight onto my bag to keep notes organised for different topics etc

14 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

This is very hard to be achieved (might want to lower a bit), with dGPU it's almost impossible

Im not much of a tech guy so please explain what you think is good. A dedicated GPU isnt required 100%, its just for the occasional gaming so that may not be needed to be added in features needed in the laptop/tablet or 2 in 1 laptop

Any preference on display size? Any links of online stores?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

12 hours ago, R9_AR said:

Thanks for the suggestion! I was thinking of the Dell XPS 13 but I'd need a tablet to go with it. I use pen and paper but it adds weight onto my bag to keep notes organised for different topics etc

Personally the befefit of an extra 200 grams of paper and a pen outweigh writing on a tablet. They're decent to even good nowadays, but at least personally, nothing beats writing on paper, apart from the pen running out occasionally I guess. Also because a tablet is less flexible than paper, which may obstruct a bit in tight spaces like a college bench. You can always scan your notes every now and then, so you can leave them at home or throw them away.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

4 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Any preference on display size? Any links of online stores?

13 inch or 15 inch screen should be fine. I dont have any links of online stores atm since I dont know what to go for.

2 hours ago, tikker said:

Personally the befefit of an extra 200 grams of paper and a pen outweigh writing on a tablet. They're decent to even good nowadays, but at least personally, nothing beats writing on paper, apart from the pen running out occasionally I guess. Also because a tablet is less flexible than paper, which may obstruct a bit in tight spaces like a college bench. You can always scan your notes every now and then, so you can leave them at home or throw them away.

I commute everyday and so the additional weight of folders, books, pens, equipment and textbooks will be annoying

22 minutes ago, R9_AR said:

I dont have any links of online stores atm since I dont know what to go for.

Where are you from? I can't find options for you if I don't have the links

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Where are you from? I can't find options for you if I don't have the links

Im from the UK.

38 minutes ago, R9_AR said:

I commute everyday and so the additional weight of folders, books, pens, equipment and textbooks will be annoying

I have commuted for years carrying around books, notebooks (the paper kind) for college and have biked 15-30 minutes back and forth every day carrying the same stuff when I moved to the city I was studying in, and have done so ever since. It has never bothered me.

It was merely a suggestion combined with my experience, to each their own :)

I think I'd prefer something dedicated to note taking if I were to go the digital road.

Forgot to ask, what's your budget?

Also, you have quite a lot of requirements. Would be better if you can sort the priority of each requirement

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Forgot to ask, what's your budget?

Also, you have quite a lot of requirements. Would be better if you can sort the priority of each requirement

Order from highest priority to lowest priority:

16GB

High refresh rate so that when using stylus, there is minimal delay when taking notes

Light and Portable

Great battery

Decent Trackpad and Nice Keyboard if its a 2 in 1 or a laptop

Nice speakers

Budget is around £2k. If you have options for various budgets please do let me know 

Unfortunately high refresh rate is still no where to be found in non-gaming laptops. Also, sound quality is nothing special in most regular laptops/Ultrabooks

No dGPU:

*Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th Gen - optional touch (no stylus support)

*Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen)

Lenovo Thinkpad T480s with WQHD - no touchscreen

*HP EliteBook x360 1030 G3

HP EliteBook 840 G5 with Sure View - no touchscreen

HP EliteBook 830 G5 with Sure View - no touchscreen

Dell XPS 13 9370/9380

*HP Spectre x360 13

*Lenovo Yoga C930

*Lenovo Yoga 730/720 13

*Lenovo Thinkpad X380 Yoga

*Acer Swift 5 SF515-51T - touchscreen doesn't support stylus

With dGPU:

*HP Envy 13-ah0003na - touchscreen doesn't support stylus

*non-upgradable RAM, buy 16GB

FYI i5 KBL-R/WHL ULV is enough, no need i7 ULV. Upgrade RAM/SSD by your own if possible, cheaper

Let me know if you have other options in mind

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 2/3/2019 at 5:29 AM, GeneXiS_X said:

Unfortunately high refresh rate is still no where to be found in non-gaming laptops. Also, sound quality is nothing special in most regular laptops/Ultrabooks

No dGPU:

*Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th Gen - optional touch (no stylus support)

*Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen)

Lenovo Thinkpad T480s with WQHD - no touchscreen

*HP EliteBook x360 1030 G3

HP EliteBook 840 G5 with Sure View - no touchscreen

HP EliteBook 830 G5 with Sure View - no touchscreen

Dell XPS 13 9370/9380

*HP Spectre x360 13

*Lenovo Yoga C930

*Lenovo Yoga 730/720 13

*Lenovo Thinkpad X380 Yoga

*Acer Swift 5 SF515-51T - touchscreen doesn't support stylus

With dGPU:

*HP Envy 13-ah0003na - touchscreen doesn't support stylus

*non-upgradable RAM, buy 16GB

FYI i5 KBL-R/WHL ULV is enough, no need i7 ULV. Upgrade RAM/SSD by your own if possible, cheaper

Let me know if you have other options in mind

Thanks, what do you think of the Huawei Matebook X Pro?

1 hour ago, R9_AR said:

Thanks, what do you think of the Huawei Matebook X Pro?

Also good with a few minor issues

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Honestly taking notes on a touch screen for me was gimmicky. I managed to do it for about a week, went back to paper and pen. If I cant write it I will type it.

As for 12 hours of battery life are you going to be plugged in for some of it? 

On 2/6/2019 at 10:47 PM, markr54632 said:

Honestly taking notes on a touch screen for me was gimmicky. I managed to do it for about a week, went back to paper and pen. If I cant write it I will type it.

As for 12 hours of battery life are you going to be plugged in for some of it? 

Probably not because when I'm outside, the train's power outlets charge the laptops battery at a very slow rate and at the library, seats are already taken with power outlets near them.

On 2/6/2019 at 3:22 PM, GeneXiS_X said:

Also good with a few minor issues

What minor issues apart from the laptop's webcam? Also, since I'm UK and trying to buy the 512 GB SSD with 16 GB RAM model, what's the best site to order from that minimises risks of damages to the item? Only one I can find at the moment is Amazon

54 minutes ago, R9_AR said:

What minor issues apart from the laptop's webcam?

MX150 model has poor cooling and x2 PCIe lanes TB3, China branded concerns (reliability, support etc)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler