Overclocking a laptop's monitor

Beertran

Hi everyone,

I recently bought an Acer Predator Helios 300 and realized a few days ago that I could probably overclock the monitor to give me just that extra FPS ?

Nvidia control panel only showed me 3D settings, so I tried creating a custom resolution in the "Intel Graphics Control Panel" but as one would expect it "exceeds the bandwidth" as soon as I tried >60fps

After running the Nvidia driver patch (https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-NVIDIA-Pixel-Clock-Patcher) I tried running CRU, which allowed me to add custom resolutions to Intel Graphics Control Panel, but any framerate over 60 would show me a glitchy screen (example for 65FPS attached to this post)

I may have tried other stuff but I can't remember what exactly

To be exact, my laptop is a Helios 300 with an i5-8300H and a 1060 6GB

Am I missing something? Am I doing something wrong? I've seen people talking about high refresh rates when they OC a Helios 300, but haven't found many people talking about Coffee Lake

Any feedback is appreciated,
Papa bless ?

IMG_20190127_192322.jpg

7 minutes ago, Beertran said:

overclock the monitor to give me just that extra FPS ?

That's not how it works. 

Overclocking monitors usually isn't worth it, in my experience. It, most of the time isn't stable. @Turtle Rig knows a way to make 60hz smoother and give a better experience. If he responds I think he can help you.

EDIT: The silicon lottery also happens with display panels, too. So if you heard people talking about hitting higher refresh rates, they probably got more lucky then you because they got a panel that overclocks better.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Shouldn't have posted this, a minutes after posting, I tried setting a custom resolution with the "timing" option set to "LCD standard" instead of the automatic "manual"

It finally seems to work (for 65-66fps at least :P)