Should I buy this?

Shyam Ganapathy

We need more info to say whether you need it or not. I could say go ahead and get it but I don't know what you're going to use it for. Gaming? Studio work? Singing? Beatboxing? Who knows. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

I purchased 1 of these with a phantom power supply, you're much better off buying a Snowball.

Not only could my friend barely hear me, he said there was a low hissing sound. I havent tried the USB version, but the 3.5mm jack version probably needs an external mixer which greatly increases the cost.

My friend purchased a Snowball after I bought this and his Snowball is much better....

AsRock X99 Taichi MB // Intel Core i7-6800k Overclocked @ 4.0GHZ // Noctua NH-U14S Cooler // Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 // EVGA GeForce 980Ti SC+ // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD // 2TB WD Gold HDD // Corsair RM850 PSU // Corsair Obsidian Series 750D // Asus VG248QE 144Hz

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 // Intel Core i5-3570k Overclocked @ 4.2GHZ // Noctua NH-L9x65 Cooler // Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 // EVGA GeForce 960 // 250 GB WD Blue HDD // EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80+ GOLD // Corsair Carbide Series 100R

25 minutes ago, Brennan_Price said:

We need more info to say whether you need it or not. I could say go ahead and get it but I don't know what you're going to use it for. Gaming? Studio work? Singing? Beatboxing? Who knows. 

Only gaming

24 minutes ago, SorcierX said:

I purchased 1 of these with a phantom power supply, you're much better off buying a Snowball.

Not only could my friend barely hear me, he said there was a low hissing sound. I havent tried the USB version, but the 3.5mm jack version probably needs an external mixer which greatly increases the cost.

My friend purchased a Snowball after I bought this and his Snowball is much better....

The snowball has a desk mount which dosent really work for me. If I buy an arm too, it's twice the cost.

Well, if you're buying it for game comms, don't buy this condenser, you WILL need an external mixer, it will NOT have enough power to bump it's volume output.

AsRock X99 Taichi MB // Intel Core i7-6800k Overclocked @ 4.0GHZ // Noctua NH-U14S Cooler // Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 // EVGA GeForce 980Ti SC+ // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD // 2TB WD Gold HDD // Corsair RM850 PSU // Corsair Obsidian Series 750D // Asus VG248QE 144Hz

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 // Intel Core i5-3570k Overclocked @ 4.2GHZ // Noctua NH-L9x65 Cooler // Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 // EVGA GeForce 960 // 250 GB WD Blue HDD // EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80+ GOLD // Corsair Carbide Series 100R

1 minute ago, Shyam Ganapathy said:

Only gaming

Honestly, I think you would be better off with something else considering that it sounds like you don't want to spend too much. This WILL need a pre-amp/phantom power supply to work properly. If you can't buy it up front then either save up or buy something else. I use a Behringer XM8500 with Behringer UM2-Uphoria pre-amp and that set up is a dream, however, without my UM2, it will not work. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

19 minutes ago, SorcierX said:

Well, if you're buying it for game comms, don't buy this condenser, you WILL need an external mixer, it will NOT have enough power to bump it's volume output.

Oh okay. Are there any mics that you would recommend?

18 minutes ago, Brennan_Price said:

Honestly, I think you would be better off with something else considering that it sounds like you don't want to spend too much. This WILL need a pre-amp/phantom power supply to work properly. If you can't buy it up front then either save up or buy something else. I use a Behringer XM8500 with Behringer UM2-Uphoria pre-amp and that set up is a dream, however, without my UM2, it will not work. 

Understood. I don't need too much since I only play games, so that's why I don't want to spend too much, but do you have any recommendations?

I gave you my thoughts on the Snowball, other than that, use your standard headset mic if you have one.

1 minute ago, SorcierX said:

I gave you my thoughts on the Snowball, other than that, use your standard headset mic if you have one.

The problem is that I dont. The snowball looks great, just a little too expensive. Maybe i'll save up.

2 minutes ago, Shyam Ganapathy said:

Understood. I don't need too much since I only play games, so that's why I don't want to spend too much, but do you have any recommendations?

Well as it will only be for gaming I'd suggest using just your standard microphone built onto a headset that you use, this will be far better to use than having a clunky arm by your side all the time. If you truly want to get into using decent audio gear for gaming, I'd suggest dynamic microphones rather than condenser microphones since a dynamic one will only pick up your voice when you are close enough to it. A condenser Mic will pick up far too much keyboard and mouse noise as well as your voice and you may anger your teammates with it when gaming. So, if you want decent, get a dynamic mic instead but remember that you will have to buy a pre-amp too. 

My Rig:

Just now, Brennan_Price said:

Well as it will only be for gaming I'd suggest using just your standard microphone built onto a headset that you use, this will be far better to use than having a clunky arm by your side all the time. If you truly want to get into using decent audio gear for gaming, I'd suggest dynamic microphones rather than condenser microphones since a dynamic one will only pick up your voice when you are close enough to it. A condenser Mic will pick up far too much keyboard and mouse noise as well as your voice and you may anger your teammates with it when gaming. So, if you want decent, get a dynamic mic instead but remember that you will have to buy a pre-amp too. 

I don't have a built in mic, that's why i'm buying one. Would you recommend the blue snowball?

I would say try the one you were going to get, but get the USB version ( though I have no experience with it ) it would probably work better than the version that uses 3.5mm jack due to USB being able to power it.

5 minutes ago, Shyam Ganapathy said:

I don't have a built in mic, that's why i'm buying one. Would you recommend the blue snowball?

Personally, I would say most of the Yeti gear is overpriced for what they are unless you can get one for half the price or used. As @SorcierX said, try to get the USB version of your microphone as there will at least be some power going through it, meaning that you won't have to turn up your gain to 100% on the 3.5mm jack version, that is what causes hiss etc, also providing a really quiet microphone and you will be disappointed without that pre-amp. 

My Rig:

41 minutes ago, Brennan_Price said:

Personally, I would say most of the Yeti gear is overpriced for what they are unless you can get one for half the price or used. As @SorcierX said, try to get the USB version of your microphone as there will at least be some power going through it, meaning that you won't have to turn up your gain to 100% on the 3.5mm jack version, that is what causes hiss etc, also providing a really quiet microphone and you will be disappointed without that pre-amp. 

I can get a snowball and an arm for 50. Should I go for it? It's 15 dollars more, but I don't mind too much. EDIT: Sorry not that I don't mind too much, but if it's worth it I might go for it.

1 minute ago, Shyam Ganapathy said:

I can get a snowball and an arm for 50. Should I go for it? It's 15 dollars more, but I don't mind too much. EDIT: Sorry not that I don't mind too much, but if it's worth it I might go for it.

Yeah I'd say that's a pretty good deal there, go for it and enjoy gaming with it :)

My Rig: