Dolby Vision Dolby Atmos what do I need?

Hayter

I seen a few games support Dolby Atmos recently Resident Evil 2 remake, not sure on Dolby Vision but I know D.V is a HDR implementation and anything that supports HDR10 supports Dolby Vision I have LGUK600-W monitor now I want it to get Dolby Atmos do I need a sound card? Or sound system with external amp? I don’t think my onboard sound supports it? It’s a Aorus Z390-Ultra.

Dolby Vision is an HDR implementation, but its proprietary and exceeds HDR10. So you got it backwards, Dolby Vision displays are to my knowledge all HDR10 compatible, but not all HDR10 displays are Dolby Vision compatible, in fact most probably are not. It costs money to implement and the display has to be better.

Dolby Atmos can be done by I think any Windows 10 PC, its an add on in the Windows store, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/dolby-access/9n0866fs04w8?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Install that and it enables Dobly Atmos headphone surround and Atmos bitstreaming out to a receiver. I have it myself. The receiver of course needs to support it, and you need to use HDMI out, so you don't actually need a sound card at all, the HDMI out on the GPU will work for getting it to a receiver, and the onboard audio is capable of the headphone virtualization. 

The main thing about Atmos is that it takes into account height and gives you sound that feels like coming from above, creating a more immersive soundscape. The headphone virtualization works okay, the actual speakers work great.

On 1/26/2019 at 5:19 PM, Hayter said:

I seen a few games support Dolby Atmos recently Resident Evil 2 remake, not sure on Dolby Vision but I know D.V is a HDR implementation and anything that supports HDR10 supports Dolby Vision I have LGUK600-W monitor now I want it to get Dolby Atmos do I need a sound card? Or sound system with external amp? I don’t think my onboard sound supports it? It’s a Aorus Z390-Ultra.

You would need an "Atmos enabled reciever" Onkyo has a few budget options. They also have a few complete kits with the receiver and speakers, and a subwoofer, and like Chett said, run a normal hdmi out of your gpu to the receiver, then a hdmi to your monitor from the receiver.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

On 1/26/2019 at 5:19 PM, Hayter said:

A complete 5.1.2 kit - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Onkyo-Dolby-Channel-Receiver-Speakers/dp/B00Z9O08B8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1548610751&sr=8-2&keywords=onkyo+dolby+atmos

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

On 1/27/2019 at 9:04 AM, Hayter said:

Thank you Chett what receiver do you have?

Yamaha Aventage RX-A760. I got it in 2016 so discontinued by now. Its my third Yamaha receiver I've gotten, and I've grown some brand loyalty from that. As I only upgrade for new features, first to get HDMI, then again for Atmos/DTS-X and 4k HDR.