High-end Gaming Router Showdown: ASUS ROG GT-AX11000 vs NETGEAR NightHawk XR700

Dear all, 

I have been deciding about which high-end gaming router is best for me. I have looked at possibly the best two gaming routers on the consumer market: the ASUS ROG GT-AX11000 and the NETGEAR NightHawk XR700.

My household contains 3 people and I live in a relatively larger house (around 500 - 600 m^2). I live in new zealand so I am quite far away from US-based servers and I want the lowest ping possible for my gaming experience. I heard that the ASUS software allows for prioritising gaming packets and I do not want any packet loss. I also download a lot of games, usually around 80Gbs each and I would prefer good speeds. Please also take into account the 60Hz channel from NETGEAR and I am not to concerned about security. 

Which router is more tailored to my needs?

Thank you so much in advance. 

Main question: Is the PC going to be wired or on WiFi? Just using ethernet cable will lower the ping more than any ultra high end WiFi router can on WiFi.

Also note the chance that your devices have support for 802.11AX is very slim (or even getting anywhere near the full speeds of it)

These gaming routers can be made to prioritize packets, but it's usually some gamer marketed up QoS system.

Also how many walls / what material will impact WiFi range a lot.

But please be concerned about security.

18 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Main question: Is the PC going to be wired or on WiFi? Just using ethernet cable will lower the ping more than any ultra high end WiFi router can on WiFi.

Also note the chance that your devices have support for 802.11AX is very slim (or even getting anywhere near the full speeds of it)

These gaming routers can be made to prioritize packets, but it's usually some gamer marketed up QoS system.

Also how many walls / what material will impact WiFi range a lot.

But please be concerned about security.

So do high-end phones and high-end laptops/pc support 802.11ax or 802.11ad?

I know some laptops support AD, but I wouldn't bother with it because of it's super short range and general weakness to interference. Check out Linus's video here:

As for Wireless AX, there are routers / APs, but I don't think the standard has been officially ratified yet by  IEEE. With how new the standard is, I don't think any devices have the AX Wireless chipsets in them yet (Maybe later this year)

11 hours ago, SupaTech said:

So do high-end phones and high-end laptops/pc support 802.11ax or 802.11ad?

AD never caught on because, 60 Ghz literally has no penetration power and is only a one room solution. AX is brand spanking new, it will be months if not years before we really see large scale device support. 

You will be fine with an AC router. Also keep in mind the WiFi cards in Phone, Tablets and even some laptops tend to be on the lower end of the AC spec. Most laptop cards I have seen top out at about 867 Mbps on 5Ghz. Desktop cards on the other hand can handle faster speeds. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.