IT field

Armystrong2019

I'm currently looking into getting into the IT field but I'm more interested in the hardware/networking side. Most of the computer science programs I am finding around me are programming focused and that's not really what I'm interested in. Am I looking for the wrong thing. Should I be looking more at engineering programs?

Computer engineering also isn't right if you want to be something like a sysadmin -- you'd want something like an Computer/information Science degree.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

11 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Computer engineering also isn't right if you want to be something like a sysadmin -- you'd want something like an Computer/information Science degree.

Also depends on what level of IT you are looking for as a career. I was self taught "read all the books" and got a job in IT for Tmobile and Oracle. I even became a lead training tech for a major retailer. Granted they were not the best paying jobs, relatively speaking (I wasn't poor, paid the bills) but got lucky I guess back in the day...late 90s and early 2000s.

Got a computer problem? Update the BIOS! ?

If you want to give yourself the best opportunity for employment, you'll probably want a general Computer Science and/or Information science degree, or something that you can relate to a computer science degree.  It seems like 90% of the time employers have no idea what they actually need, so they scattershot the requirements.  While studying, you'd also want to put your efforts towards technical certifications, which are going to be higher profile bullet points on your resume than even your degree most likely.