My 1050 ti needs to get -100Mhz from core clock in order to run, why ?

Hello guys I need help concerning my Asus Gtx 1050 ti

It crashes in every game and freezes the pc, when I look at the statistics in MSI Afterburner it shows that it reaches 100% GPU usage and crashes the entire system when I enter in a game.

Someone told me to lower from the core clock, and I used msi afterburner for it and it worked, now my gpu clock is 1186 Mhz instead of default 1291Mhz and works fine.

But I need to know why do I need to lower from the core clock memory in order for my graphics card to run without crashing in games ?

and is it a sign that it's dead or just a technical issue ? 

Annotation 2019-01-24 165907.jpg

What are your pc specs? and what Psu are you using? Also make sure if the card has a 6pin connector that thats plugged in

Do i Recommend Ryzen? Yes. All of the Yes.

Main Rig Specs - BIG BOI

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9Ghz

ASUS Gaming TUF B450 Micro-ATX

2x4Gb HyperX DDR4 @2133

GTX 1070 Founders Edition

Corsair Crystal 280X

500Gb SanDisk Sata SSD, 1Tb 7200RPM Hdd

EVGA 500 Watt 80+ Bronze

EKWB A240

30 minutes ago, zombieshy_guy81 said:

What are your pc specs? and what Psu are you using? Also make sure if the card has a 6pin connector that thats plugged in

Mine doesn't have a pin connector, it's a  PH-GTX1050TI-4G.

I have an HP elite 8300 CMT with stock PSU 320W

i7-3770 and 8 ram

You could try getting a new Psu. Pre-built Psu's aren't the best in terms of reliability 

Main Rig Specs - BIG BOI

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9Ghz

2x4Gb HyperX DDR4 @2133

Corsair Crystal 280X

EVGA 500 Watt 80+ Bronze

EKWB A240

1 minute ago, zombieshy_guy81 said:

You could try getting a new Psu. Pre-built Psu's aren't the best in terms of reliability 

Please. This has nothing to do with the PSU. What happens when you don’t run it -100 from core clock

1 minute ago, Juniiii said:

Please. This has nothing to do with the PSU. What happens when you don’t run it -100 from core clock

Well i mean when the thing goes under full load the pc turns off as you said, that sounds like a psu issue to me

Main Rig Specs - BIG BOI

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9Ghz

2x4Gb HyperX DDR4 @2133

Corsair Crystal 280X

EVGA 500 Watt 80+ Bronze

EKWB A240

Just now, zombieshy_guy81 said:

Well i mean when the thing goes under full load the pc turns off as you said, that sounds like a psu issue to me

Thing is, it doesn’t have power connectors, the GPU should be getting enough power

3 minutes ago, Juniiii said:

Thing is, it doesn’t have power connectors, the GPU should be getting enough power

Still pulls Power from the internal Power Supply.

THE SUPPLY IS LIKELY UNRELIABLE AT THIS AGE OF THE MaCHINE

This is what people are saying is all....
GPU is fine,... PC is fine,.. PSU is likely working.....but unreliable due to AGE.

Find a replacement.

FYI - It would be fine, if the PSU wasn't likely the cause of issue.
I've built a GTX1050ti DELL i7 3770 + 16GB Ram Battlebox,.. on 225watts.

GTX1050Ti also does not always use 75watts either,... it can be using 50-60watts during gameplay (without -100Core)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Still pulls Power from the internal Power Supply.

THE SUPPLY IS LIKELY UNRELIABLE AT THIS AGE OF THE MaCHINE

This is what people are saying is all....
GPU is fine,... PC is fine,.. PSU is likely working.....but unreliable due to AGE.

Find a replacement.

FYI - It would be fine, if the PSU wasn't likely the cause of issue.
I've built a GTX1050ti DELL i7 3770 + 16GB Ram Battlebox,.. on 225watts.

My point.

8 minutes ago, Juniiii said:

My point.

Lost on me... what was it..

Your PSU is likely DYING <- Stated before found out also happens on other PC)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

GPU doesn't have stand-alone power connections?

Motherboard / PSU

Could be either, maybe that motherboard can't supply enough power through the PCIE slot or maybe it can but the power supply is unable to supply enough clean power for it.

AsRock X99 Taichi MB // Intel Core i7-6800k Overclocked @ 4.0GHZ // Noctua NH-U14S Cooler // Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 // EVGA GeForce 980Ti SC+ // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD // 2TB WD Gold HDD // Corsair RM850 PSU // Corsair Obsidian Series 750D // Asus VG248QE 144Hz

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 // Intel Core i5-3570k Overclocked @ 4.2GHZ // Noctua NH-L9x65 Cooler // Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 // EVGA GeForce 960 // 250 GB WD Blue HDD // EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80+ GOLD // Corsair Carbide Series 100R

Thing is, the gpu does this also on another computer with good psu so the issue isn't in my psu.

What happens if I don't run it with -100Mhz is once I run a game the entire pc freezes, and I have either the option to ctrl alt delete to end game task or hard reboot the pc

What's the other system you tried it in?

AsRock X99 Taichi MB // Intel Core i7-6800k Overclocked @ 4.0GHZ // Noctua NH-U14S Cooler // Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 // EVGA GeForce 980Ti SC+ // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD // 2TB WD Gold HDD // Corsair RM850 PSU // Corsair Obsidian Series 750D // Asus VG248QE 144Hz

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 // Intel Core i5-3570k Overclocked @ 4.2GHZ // Noctua NH-L9x65 Cooler // Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 // EVGA GeForce 960 // 250 GB WD Blue HDD // EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80+ GOLD // Corsair Carbide Series 100R

17 minutes ago, SorcierX said:

What's the other system you tried it in?

psu 650 w i7 4790 8gigs ram

So, not a pre-built? HP / DELL or otherwise?

I'm trying to rule out the proprietary motherboard that most of these companies make where they could just not give enough power to PCI slots to run a card w/o stand-alone power.

59 minutes ago, WhiteBeard11 said:

Thing is, the gpu does this also on another computer with good psu so the issue isn't in my psu.

What happens if I don't run it with -100Mhz is once I run a game the entire pc freezes, and I have either the option to ctrl alt delete to end game task or hard reboot the pc

in that case you may just need to RMA the card. Sounds like the Gpu may be slightly Doa

Main Rig Specs - BIG BOI

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9Ghz

2x4Gb HyperX DDR4 @2133

Corsair Crystal 280X

EVGA 500 Watt 80+ Bronze

EKWB A240

17 minutes ago, SorcierX said:

So, not a pre-built? HP / DELL or otherwise?

I'm trying to rule out the proprietary motherboard that most of these companies make where they could just not give enough power to PCI slots to run a card w/o stand-alone power.

no it's an ASUS or gigabyte motherboad i suppose

Just slippin in to say that all GPU's are 100% while a game is running, so dont worry about that. It's completely normal.

Chasis: Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo || PSU: Seasonic PX 650 || Mobo: MSI Z690 Pro A || CPU: Intel i5 12600K || CPU Cooler: Lian Li Galahad AIO 240 || RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB @3200 || GPU: AORUS 4070 ti Elite || Boot Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB || Secondary Drive: Crucial MX300 525GB || HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Intake Fans: 3x Lian Li UniFan SL120 || Exhaust Fans: 2x Lian Li UniFan SL120 || Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless || Keyboard: Das Keyboard 4Q with Cherry MX Browns || Monitor: Acer Predator IPS 165Hz GSync

Get 500w power supply. That should do the trick. Something like that ain't really gonna run well with something like that. My R9 270 works perfect with the 475 watt power supply that my PC came with.

38 minutes ago, hiimFred said:

Just slippin in to say that all GPU's are 100% while a game is running, so dont worry about that. It's completely normal.

okay im not gonna worry about it anymore but I need to know if it's also normal for a gpu to have the need to get 100MHz lowered from its core clock speed in order for it to run ?

3 minutes ago, WhiteBeard11 said:

okay im not gonna worry about it anymore but I need to know if it's also normal for a gpu to have the need to get 100MHz lowered from its core clock speed in order for it to run ?

No that's definitely weird. And since you're saying it's the same in another pc with a better PSU, I think you should RMA.

Chasis: Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo || PSU: Seasonic PX 650 || Mobo: MSI Z690 Pro A || CPU: Intel i5 12600K || CPU Cooler: Lian Li Galahad AIO 240 || RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB @3200 || GPU: AORUS 4070 ti Elite || Boot Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB || Secondary Drive: Crucial MX300 525GB || HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Intake Fans: 3x Lian Li UniFan SL120 || Exhaust Fans: 2x Lian Li UniFan SL120 || Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless || Keyboard: Das Keyboard 4Q with Cherry MX Browns || Monitor: Acer Predator IPS 165Hz GSync

4 minutes ago, hiimFred said:

No that's definitely weird. And since you're saying it's the same in another pc with a better PSU, I think you should RMA.

I might have not tested it enough to know, I only ran one game and saw nothing happen.

sometimes I don't encounter this problem in my pc also, but 9/10 of the times it happens.

so your interpretation for this issue is the gpu might not be able to pull full power so I need to lower 100MHz from core clock in order for it to run?

Yeah, not sure. I'm not the best guy to tell you, but it seems to me to be power related, yes. I would go and test it thoroughly on another Pc. Then RMA it. Don't bust your head over a faulty product.

Edit: Wait is this a new card?

2 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

FYI

3 minutes ago, hiimFred said:

Yeah, not sure. I'm not the best guy to tell you, but it seems to me to be power related, yes. I would go and test it thoroughly on another Pc. Then RMA it. Don't bust your head over a faulty product.

Edit: Wait is this a new card?

I bought it used