Windows Update breaking things... again

ComTech14

so the latest windows update is making the boot fail after update restart. i got i working again, but i would like to find the root cause. i also have a problem with a external hard drive, it is incredibly patchy when showing up in file explorer. windows acknowledges that something connects, but nothing shows up, even in disk manager.

i also need to disable updates for the forseeable future. any ideas?

windows update is cumulative update 2018/12 for x64 update for windows 10 1709

CT14

Run "services.msc" and disable Windows update. This will disable windows update completely. (If you are on Pro/Enterprise/Education version, you can edit in Group Policy Editor "gpedit.msc".)

Or you can setup the WiFi as a metered network. Only "Urgent/Priority" update will be downloaded.

Using an LTSB build is another solution, you will only get security update.

(If you believe it's windows that's breaking things, you should use feedback hub to communicate the bug to Microsoft and thus help others)

As for the external hard drive: try switching ports and (re)install drivers. Add an external power if the port draws too much power. Disable USB power saving.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."