Need a new PSU.

Demonking
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
18 minutes ago, Demonking said:

I had a hx 750w from 2012, I sent to to Corsair, they costumer service is awful so I don't want to buy from them again. Also I plan to 1070 sli why I want 750w or 850w.

What was wrong with the HX750W? Just curious as I had one.
Don't do SLI 1070s. It's a waste. What monitor are you using? Resolution & refresh rate? Just get a better single card if you need to upgrade.

Is that EVGA power supply ? I seen they had a 850w a few days ago, but idk what parts they use I trust season sonic.

Focus Plus Gold then.

I trust season sonic.

Me too.

Spoiler

image.png.e2fd304ab3658f58e57ef46dc4af5f08.png
image.png.a2741aa830615541bdf59e30cedf1ad2.png

3 minutes ago, Demonking said:

Looking for a power supply in the watts range of 750 to 850 nothing Corsair. I have a 7700k and a GTX 1070 FTW. My budget is around $140.

What PSU do you have right now?

For that setup, a good 400-550W is more than enough.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1. Why do you need 750-850W? Unless you're running a 9900k and a 2080 Ti then you won't need that amount of wattage.

2. What PSU do you have currently?

3. Why don't you want to buy Corsair? Their RMx/RMi line of PSUs are pretty good.

Normally I'd recommend a Corsair RM550x, but in this case I'd recommend an EVGA 550 G2.

Just now, Demonking said:

None.

Where you live??

11 minutes ago, 1kv said:

1. Why do you need 750-850W? Unless you're running a 9900k and a 2080 Ti then you won't need that amount of wattage.

2. What PSU do you have currently?

3. Why don't you want to buy Corsair? Their RMx/RMi line of PSUs are pretty good.

Normally I'd recommend a Corsair RM550x, but in this case I'd recommend an EVGA 550 G2.

I had a hx 750w from 2012, I sent to to Corsair, they costumer service is awful so I don't want to buy from them again. Also I plan to 1070 sli why I want 750w or 850w.

Just now, Finwillwin said:

Sell the 1070 and buy a 2070, Vega 64 or 1080. SLI is awful.

some games its fine,

OP: get a 550-750 G2/G3, whichever one is cheaper

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

some games its fine,

OP: get a 550-750 G2/G3, whichever one is cheaper

Is that EVGA power supply ? I seen they had a 850w a few days ago, but idk what parts they use I trust season sonic.

1 minute ago, Demonking said:

btw its seasonic, and the g2 and G3 are both made by super flower, if you want seasonic, get the focus plus gold 650.

Don't do SLI 1070s. It's a waste. What monitor are you using? Resolution & refresh rate? Just get a better single card if you need to upgrade.

Focus Plus Gold then.

I trust season sonic.

Me too.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Focus Plus Gold then.

Me too.

Reveal hidden contents

I suspect it was causing my PC to randomly freeze. I ruled out my GPU as I removed it and motherboard as it was sent in to Asus and they said everything was ok, and replaced an SSD. Corsair costumer service is awful. I just now got my refund from them after I put in my support ticket on the 26th of November. They lied to me 3x saying I would get a refund this week and as 3 weeks went by no refund until today.

3 hours ago, Demonking said:

Is that EVGA power supply ? I seen they had a 850w a few days ago, but idk what parts they use

higher wattage EVGA are loud like shit.
There are other options for example be quiet Straight Power 11 or Bitfenix Whisper M.

And even with two mid range GPUs like 1070, you don't need 750W or so, 550W is enough.

You need that for highest end ones like two VEGA.

3 hours ago, Demonking said:

I trust season sonic.

You shouldn't

Because they are the only ones who sell a garbage group regulated mid range unit from 10 years ago that doesn't even have decent protection.

And some other Seasonic units also fail when overloaded.

In short: They aren't that good as people claim them to be. I'd trust a good Thermaltake more than Seasonic...

5 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

And even with two mid range GPUs like 1070, you don't need 750W or so, 550W is enough.

Most 1070s are around 150W, but *some* of the higher end factory overclocked 1070s are around 200-215W draw and each require 2x PCIe connectors like the EVGA FTW 1070. So depending which cards 550W could be cutting it pretty close with a 7700k and may not have the required number of PCIe connectors. 650W would be fine, but may not have the PCIe connectors. Most decent 750W units should have 4x PCIe connectors... Though IMO no point going SLI with 1070s anyway. Better off selling the 1070 and putting the cash towards getting a used 1080ti.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

49 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Most 1070s are around 150W, but *some* of the higher end factory overclocked 1070s are around 200-215W draw and each require 2x PCIe connectors like the EVGA FTW 1070. So depending which cards 550W could be cutting it pretty close with a 7700k and may not have the required number of PCIe connectors. 650W would be fine, but may not have the PCIe connectors. Most decent 750W units should have 4x PCIe connectors... Though IMO no point going SLI with 1070s anyway. Better off selling the 1070 and putting the cash towards getting a used 1080ti.

I have the FTW which I overclock same with the 7700k I on that as well. I bought the seasonic focus 750w 

20 hours ago, Demonking said:

I had a hx 750w from 2012, I sent to to Corsair, they costumer service is awful so I don't want to buy from them again. 

Because they told you the PSU was out of warranty?

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

7 years on those if it's the hx750 I'm thinking of, so it should still be in warranty (just)

My guess is there was actually nothing wrong with it.

22 hours ago, Demonking said:

I suspect it was causing my PC to randomly freeze.  

More likely to be software, virus, bad memory, bad cpu overclock, driver issues, dying HDD, etc.

10 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

It was still in warranty, they didn't give me my refund until this week almost 3 months after I told them to give me a refund.

8 hours ago, Spotty said:

7 years on those if it's the hx750 I'm thinking of, so it should still be in warranty (just)

My guess is there was actually nothing wrong with it.

More likely to be software, virus, bad memory, bad cpu overclock, driver issues, dying HDD, etc.

Nope I have eset internet security 1 of the best AV available, and paid Malwarebytes. And I reinstalled windows bare windows still doing hardware related, and memory was removed and replaced, so not memory. CPU was stock, and HDD was replaced as well.

2 minutes ago, Demonking said:

It was still in warranty, they didn't give me my refund until this week almost 3 months after I told them to give me a refund.

Did you purchase from Corsair directly or did you purchase from a third party retailer?
Normally the manufacturer won't issue a refund for an item bought from a store. Depending on your local country/state laws, the store you bought it from may be responsible for issuing a refund and you will need to contact them if you want a refund on a faulty item. The manufacturers warranty will typically either provide a repair or replacement - not a cash refund. If Corsair is issuing you a refund despite not being the retailer you purchased the item directly from and having no obligation to issue a refund, they're going beyond what is required of them in order to keep you the customer happy.

11 minutes ago, Demonking said:

Nope I have eset internet security 1 of the best AV available, and paid Malwarebytes. And I reinstalled windows bare windows still doing hardware related, and memory was removed and replaced, so not memory. CPU was stock, and HDD was replaced as well. 

Can you describe the nature of the freezes you were experiencing? "Computer Froze" can be a rather blanket statement used by people to describe a lot of different issues.
Is a program not responding and you need to close a program through task manager? Is it running sluggishly and programs slow to respond? Is it displaying a BSOD? Is it switching off unexpectedly? Is the entire OS freezing and not responding at all and need to be switched off and on at the back of the PSU to reboot?

I'm guessing this is the system that is in your signature? What temperatures are you getting on the CPU in idle and under load? Is the pump running on the AIO (you should be able to feel/hear it running)? Is the AIO making any abnormal noises like high pitched whiirring or loud clunking?

You can also download CrystalDiskInfo or HD Sentinel to check the SMART health status of your OS SSD as well and see if it has any errors.

Hopefully the new PSU resolves whatever issue you're facing, but I suspect it likely won't help. The HX750 PSU is on the older side and wouldn't hurt to be replaced anyway. If you still face issues with the new power supply then tag me and I'll try and help.

7 hours ago, Demonking said:

Wait....  You bought the PSU from someone else, not Corsair, 5 years ago, and are made because it took Corsair 3 months to give you a refund?!?!?!!?!?

SERIOUSLY?!!?!!

THAT is bad service?!!?!?  Holy fuck balls.  I've being doing shit all wrong. 

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

Did you purchase from Corsair directly or did you purchase from a third party retailer?
Normally the manufacturer won't issue a refund for an item bought from a store. Depending on your local country/state laws, the store you bought it from may be responsible for issuing a refund and you will need to contact them if you want a refund on a faulty item. The manufacturers warranty will typically either provide a repair or replacement - not a cash refund. If Corsair is issuing you a refund despite not being the retailer you purchased the item directly from and having no obligation to issue a refund, they're going beyond what is required of them in order to keep you the customer happy.

This.  You got ROYAL FUCKING TREATMENT and cash for an old PSU instead of a replacement which is all they're obligated to give you and you shit on that?!?!

Fuck man....  

EDIT:  BTW, if you had asked for a replacement, which is all your warranty entitles you to, as @Spotty points out, and not a refund, you would be sitting on a brand new RM750x or HX750 right now instead of wondering what PSU to buy and wondering if your problem is PSU related at all in the first place.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Wait....  You bought the PSU from someone else, not Corsair, 5 years ago, and are made because it took Corsair 3 months to give you a refund?!?!?!!?!?

SERIOUSLY?!!?!!

THAT is bad service?!!?!?  Holy fuck balls.  I've being doing shit all wrong. 

This.  You got ROYAL FUCKING TREATMENT and cash for an old PSU instead of a replacement which is all they're obligated to give you and you shit on that?!?!

Fuck man....  

EDIT:  BTW, if you had asked for a replacement, which is all your warranty entitles you to, as @Spotty points out, and not a refund, you would be sitting on a brand new RM750x or HX750 right now instead of wondering what PSU to buy and wondering if your problem is PSU related at all in the first place.

No no no, I bought the PSU new from Newegg in 2012. I wanted a refund instead of a replacement which would've had the warranty for the hx which lasted less than a year, that's a bad deal, so I asked for a refund and they took too long and lied to me 3x saying I would get it this week and it never came. Also Royal treatment would've been not lying to me 3 times, and getting my refund in December when the faulty unit was sent  to them instead of  late January. My PC was down for 3 months November to January.

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

Can you describe the nature of the freezes you were experiencing? "Computer Froze" can be a rather blanket statement used by people to describe a lot of different issues.
Is a program not responding and you need to close a program through task manager? Is it running sluggishly and programs slow to respond? Is it displaying a BSOD? Is it switching off unexpectedly? Is the entire OS freezing and not responding at all and need to be switched off and on at the back of the PSU to reboot?

I'm guessing this is the system that is in your signature? What temperatures are you getting on the CPU in idle and under load? Is the pump running on the AIO (you should be able to feel/hear it running)? Is the AIO making any abnormal noises like high pitched whiirring or loud clunking?

You can also download CrystalDiskInfo or HD Sentinel to check the SMART health status of your OS SSD as well and see if it has any errors.

Hopefully the new PSU resolves whatever issue you're facing, but I suspect it likely won't help. The HX750 PSU is on the older side and wouldn't hurt to be replaced anyway. If you still face issues with the new power supply then tag me and I'll try and help.

Bought from Newegg I asked for what options I have since a replacement wouldn't carry a 10 year warranty, so they offered a refund, and when you put in your issue Corsair on rma site says does the PSU make whining sounds mine did, so I suspect the PSU.

20 minutes ago, Demonking said:

, I bought the PSU new from Newegg in 2012

Then you should have contacted Newegg for a refund since they're the ones who took your money. 

20 minutes ago, Demonking said:

I wanted a refund instead of a replacement which would've had the warranty for the hx which lasted less than a year, that's a bad deal

That's how it works... They send you a replacement unit and whatever warranty period you had remaining would carry over to the replacement unit, or if the warranty doesn't have much left on it, a short warranty period of something like 3 months - whichever is greater.

That's fairly standard across all manufacturers.

Do you think seasonic would handle warranty any differently? Seasonic certainly wouldn't give you a refund... 

The fact you got a cash refund from Corsair at all is a miracle. I think the reason you were unhappy with your experience at Corsair was because your expectations didn't align with reality.