Power Supply Fan Noise

Good morning everyone,

I'm having an issue with my Corsair HX850 semi modular power supply. Whenever the fan turns on it sounds like my computer is "shoosh"ing me. It's like nails on a chalkboard unless I have headphones on. 

I got the thing in 2014 and is out of warranty. 

I'd love to just squirt some WD-40 in the fan bearing but from what I understand taking apart PSUs can be very dangerous. I'm about to just flip the psu so the fan grill is facing inside the case and lay a 140mm fan over it. It might keep the psu fan from spinning ever, and would be quieter.

Thoughts?

I have the corsair individually sleeved cable kit too so it's extra lame if I have to replace it.

Edit- Turns out these babies have a 7 year warranty. In the rma process now. Also they suggested pushing down on the fan hub through the grill to snap it back into place. It didn't work for me, but that is an option.

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol

I think your power supply fans are worn out....

Maybe take the power supply to someone that knows how to carefully replace your fans?

As long as you discharge the capacitors you should be fine, but a better policy would be to just not touch them. You can (and I have) taken apart power supplies before, but I guess your mileage may vary.

The two semi modular HX 850 PSUs have 7 year warranties. If you got it new in 2014, it is within the warranty period. 

:)

4 minutes ago, Dominik999 said:

I think your power supply fans are worn out....

Maybe take the power supply to someone that knows how to carefully replace your fans?

I suppose a computer repair shop might do it. Didn't even think about that lol

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

The two semi modular HX 850 PSUs have 7 year warranties. If you got it new in 2014, it is within the warranty period. 

Wow I had no Idea lol Thanks I'll see if I can get it swapped out!

Rest in peace, legend.

I actually JUST did this on a HX650 from 8-10 years ago. Fan was making a super annoying sound. The casing opened up real nice with screws holding it down. It was just a 120MM fan. I had some cheap o 3 pin fans lying around to swap out.

Biggest issue was my PSU used a 2 pin header for the fan, and my fan was a 3 pin. Tried swapping the pins but the 2 pin connector was too small. So I just soldered the harnesses together. Put back together works great and very quiet now.

Thanks!

Chris R.

4 hours ago, Puma911 said:

Good morning everyone,

I'm having an issue with my Corsair HX850 semi modular power supply. Whenever the fan turns on it sounds like my computer is "shoosh"ing me. It's like nails on a chalkboard unless I have headphones on. 

I got the thing in 2014 and is out of warranty. 

Edit- Turns out these babies have a 7 year warranty. In the rma process now. Also they suggested pushing down on the fan hub through the grill to snap it back into place. It didn't work for me, but that is an option.

It's semi-modular?  Then it's the older generation.  Only the current generation has a 10 year warranty.  Your older model only has a 5 year warranty.

4 hours ago, Puma911 said:

I'd love to just squirt some WD-40 in the fan bearing but from what I understand taking apart PSUs can be very dangerous. I'm about to just flip the psu so the fan grill is facing inside the case and lay a 140mm fan over it. It might keep the psu fan from spinning ever, and would be quieter.

WD-40?  That's a horrible idea.  All that is going to do is wash out whatever lubricant is left in the bearing and attract dirt.

Please don't tell me you use WD-40 on bicycle chains too.

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

's semi-modular?  Then it's the older generation.  Only the current generation has a 10 year warranty.  Your older model only has a 5 year warranty.

The website claims 7? 

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/warranty

11 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The website claims 7? 

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/warranty

Oh.. He has an HX850.  Ok.

Damn... too many recycled series names and too many different warranty terms.  :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2019 at 2:57 PM, jonnyGURU said:

It's semi-modular?  Then it's the older generation.  Only the current generation has a 10 year warranty.  Your older model only has a 5 year warranty.

WD-40?  That's a horrible idea.  All that is going to do is wash out whatever lubricant is left in the bearing and attract dirt.

Please don't tell me you use WD-40 on bicycle chains too.

That's why I consult the experts when it comes to lubricant my guy ?

Rest in peace, legend.

On 1/23/2019 at 5:18 PM, Audherbagn said:

As long as you discharge the capacitors you should be fine, but a better policy would be to just not touch them. You can (and I have) taken apart power supplies before, but I guess your mileage may vary.

Out of interest what is the best or safest way to discharge the caps in a PSU? As with the OP, my PSU's fan gets rattly seemingly at random and it takes tapping the top of the case to quiet it down, but it's happening more and more and I have plenty of spare fans I can swap in, I've just never taken a PSU apart before.

On 1/24/2019 at 12:30 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Oh.. He has an HX850.  Ok.

Damn... too many recycled series names and too many different warranty terms.  :(

Is there a reasoning behind the names? Or is it just, let's call it whatever, or if it's replacing a previous series, it gets that name?

10 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Is there a reasoning behind the names? Or is it just, let's call it whatever, or if it's replacing a previous series, it gets that name?

If it replaces an existing product in the series, it adopts its name.

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

CSM -> TXM?

The RM became RMx/i, but that's fair enough. 

3 hours ago, seon123 said:

CSM -> TXM?

TX-M -> TX-M.

CS-M is in limbo until something comes along to replace it.  :D

6 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

TX-M -> TX-M.

CS-M is in limbo until something comes along to replace it.  :D

Isn't the TXM the replacement for the CSM? Similar price, and I think mostly same internals? 

As long as you don't try to put out as many series as EVGA, I'm fine. They all do seem to have their own segment of the market (except the AX Platinum)

6 hours ago, seon123 said:

Isn't the TXM the replacement for the CSM? Similar price, and I think mostly same internals? 

As long as you don't try to put out as many series as EVGA, I'm fine. They all do seem to have their own segment of the market (except the AX Platinum)

The TX-M is based on CS-M's platform, but was meant to replace the TX-M.

Don't count on not having "too many platforms".  Apparently confusing customers is the in thing to do.  :D:D:D

10 hours ago, seon123 said:
10 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

CSM -> TXM?

If you're just talking about the naming scheme, then TX -> TXM
TX series was a non-modular series around about 10+ years ago. I think from 2007/2008-ish? If I recall correctly at that time the TX series were the step below the (modular) HX series in the product stack, with the HX units being Corsairs premium unit back before the AX units existed.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450