suggestions you may consider

gator81

I know I am new to the forums and I understand what the main purpose of the business and just have a few thoughts I would like to share. The ideas could be used as fillers in times that topics are few.

I understand you are more for passing on information on products and helping give additional information in how it may compare with other products and with that you try to give more details about them. Here are just a few thoughts that may help others that dont understand the testing or how you decide the best steps or changes for the test. If people can grasp more of what your saying they will not feel you are to advanced for them to keep watching and may help expand your popularity.

1. Teach/training

a. Bios - go through and explain in more detail setting up a bios? settings for overclocking, or for drive settings, boots, virtual and setting up different profiles.

b. setting network settings - understanding options for network settings on computer, tcpip, netbios, ip4, ip6, sharing ect

c. setups for video cards - freq settings, refresh, 3d, themes ect...

d. power settings, cache, swap space, auto backups, mbr ect..

I could make the list bigger or try to be more detailed but I am sure you get the jist of what I am trying to suggest. again I understand that this is not what you do, I just think sharing detailed information to help those that may not understand as good when they research the information will draw more people to you and increase subscriptions. Once its done for the most it can always be referenced when trying to understand more about what you are doing when comparing products. You could do this as a project for someone else there and again can be used as a filler when ideas for additional videos are slowing down. 

I went through my bios the other day when having some issues and there were options that I had no clue about what they did or the purpose of even being there. I remember the old bios settings where you didnt have nothing close to this many changes that can be made. 

So I will have to do some research myself but how much faster would i understand if i could watch someone explain what it is and how it would be used.

Well for me its early, I am an old army vet and now fighting with a disability I dont get out as much so I try to learn more when I can. I watch alot of the information you all share and it has helped. I just know that on another site called phlearn.com for photography they had a lesson about all the settings on a camera and I learned so much and it improved my skills so I figured I would say something here.

If it helps great if not then sorry to waste the space :/

Lane

This subforum is for forum suggestions, not videos. The LTT crew pretty much just come along when someone whines loud enough about how much clickbait they have become. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 hours ago, gator81 said:

1. Teach/training

a. Bios - go through and explain in more detail setting up a bios? settings for overclocking, or for drive settings, boots, virtual and setting up different profiles.

b. setting network settings - understanding options for network settings on computer, tcpip, netbios, ip4, ip6, sharing ect

Nothing stopping anyone from making any of those guides if they have the knowledge and time to do so. You can find the Guide and Tutorials forum here: https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/30-guides-and-tutorials/

It's etc, not ect.

6 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

This subforum is for forum suggestions, not videos. The LTT crew pretty much just come along when someone whines loud enough about how much clickbait they have become. 

Ohhhhh... It's video suggestions and not suggestions for the forum? That actually makes much more sense.

In that case you can put your suggestions for Tech Quickie here in this thread.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

For BIOS, motherboard manual is quite good place to start. Advanced settings like overclocking are better done with written guides, but if you need video, OC3D has good one. GPU part I don't understand what info you are actually looking for, but TQ is probably best. Same with everything in point d.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

These where more for overall thoughts. For me the videos are easier to understand and follow counting on who is passing the info. Again for me the video seems to stay with me more as you see how someone uses steps to utilize certain options and how someone else decides the best course of action.

An example would be OC memory? There are usually more then one thing that would needed to be changed and in a video comments are made that helps decide the steps to take for the type or brand of memory. small tweaks for voltages to get the best results. I dont want to say this is the case for everything it is just been my experience.

As for the thoughts on the video, again its a generalized suggestion so I am not trying to ask just for settings about refresh rate but about learning about all the settings when tweaking a video card in general.

I do need to do more research myself as I have had issues with my video at times and it drives me crazy lol. as I have not figured it out yet an have not asked in the proper forum yet as I wanted to try and find out the reason for myself first before wanting someone else to do the work for me :)

My problem has been using a evga 1080ti on asus prime-a mb to a ROG-PG278QR Gsync monitor running at 1440 refresh. My res is 2560x1440 (native) and there would be sometimes down the center of the screen would be crunched together. Something like and "H" would look like and I in this line. I could move the windows around and the line is constant. If I go and change the monitor settings and then change them back it goes away. 

Again that needs to be posted in the right forum, its just that I cannot find much from research and a video that would explain the settings may give me more of a visual help to troubleshoot my issue :)

In last I consider who I gather info from. Some people do great in steps and explaining and others confuse you more then when you started. It just seems that LTT has been doing videos for so long know that something like a teaching video would be accepted more. And again its just an idea when things get slow.

I will try to get something typed out better and submit something to the video suggestions. Thanks for the comments

Lane

16 hours ago, gator81 said:

Pretty much any good CompTIA A+ study guide will cover most of these. Some of the smaller nitty-gritty parts like "themes" under video cards won't be talked about since those have less to do with the hardware itself and its uses.

As mentioned above, the motherboard manual is the best place you can learn about all the UEFI BIOS settings and what their purpose is.

If you wish to compile a guide to these kinds of things, feel free! We have a Test Posts section that is visible to you and staff members that you can draft posts in. There are a few guides in the works, I know someone who's working on a fully comprehensive guide to the different memory types for example.

Best regards and thank you for your service,

~Crunchy

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I know someone who's working on a fully comprehensive guide to the different memory types for example.

That just got me thinking...

There should be a list of guides people want to see and ones that people are working on. I feel like a lot of similar questions are often asked here and that could help.

Or not. Who knows.

Crunchy, the reason i had put down themes was after watching the dark mode episode which seem to cover some of settings of themes. I agree that it is not a true hardware subject unless my guess would be about prevention of monitor burn in.

If it would be ok and as time permits as grandkids are keeping me on my toes I would like to try and put a video together to provide more of a visual of what I am suggesting. The video will not be great as I dont have a video pass through capture device that would do better with the bios filming so I will have to just setup my camera to film over my shoulder for that. Other settings I should be able to use obs studio and capture and I will break out the good old pinnacle studio and combine it all for your review. I am sure I will learn alot just from trying to put this together and with a little luck it may be of some help to someone else :)

I would like to thank you all as this gives me something to do besides play games and watch movies. 

thank you

Lane

@gator81

To know more, you need to research more. There are more forums, communities than LTT.

I'm researching first on my own... then after 30min I decide, do I need to fix/know this right now?
If yes I visit a forum and ask it there, if not, I continue my research. Researching is better than asking one question.

Why? When you research, you learn WAYYY more things that way, you find sometimes other cool topics, other information. I'm 100% sure you can find those things online.

One annoying thing is, that mainboard manufacturers don't use the same shortcuts. For example LLC has far I've seen always the same name in mainboards LLC (Load Line Calibration). But VCCIO is also known as VTT and QPI.

AMD FX8320 | GTX660 | 4x4GB DDR3 | LG ZR2740W

Logitech Wireless Pro  | Logitech G413 | Nuforce uDAC5  | AKG K612

G1k777 - That is so true, and from the many hours of research over time and the troubles I had is the reason I thought of this :) Plus there is another site I still follow  about teaching photoshop and lightroom for editing and they put an series of videos going through the settings of a dslr camera. Knowing more about the camera was not about editing but it did help with how I took pictures, making it easier to do edits :) I was also able to make better use of my camera as I understood in more detail what it could do for me :). Then they went further to show how to use each setting in a photo shoot which helped even more.

This is just passing on thoughts, I have watched videos of other people explaining some things and I was more confused then when I started hehe. The company I am talking about is phlearn.com and they started off doing videos in his home and now they have a thriving business, kinda like LTT. And no I am not trying to advertise for them, they are just the influence of the idea in one place.

thanks for the comments, it helps

Lane