Will G-Sync monitors ever support FreeSync?

Since NVIDIA is now unlocking their GPUs to other variable refresh technology, will monitor manufacturers unlock their G-Sync monitors to enable variable refresh with other graphics cards? I’m sure it wouldn’t be g-sync, but since the monitors are variable refresh capable, would supporting FreeSync be as simple as a firmware update? While this may not make sense for Nvidia, it would make a lot of sense for monitor manufacturers because they would truly support both GPUs. 

I recently purchased a Acer X34 (before the Nvidia announcement), and would like the option of buying an AMD card and still have the benefits of a variable refresh monitor. 

Not likely. G-sync is proprietary technology manufactured by Nvidia themselves and sold to monitor vendors to include there chip in the display to enable G-sync. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I doubt it. Freesync was easier unlocked from nvidia because it's more software based, so really the only barrier was nvidia closing off g-sync to just nvidia cards. 

People already said it but I'll say it again, G-sync is a chip and that makes it a little more hardware based than freesync so it's not as easy as just unlocking the feature set.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

4 minutes ago, mxk. said:

I doubt it. Freesync was easier unlocked from nvidia because it's more software based, so really the only barrier was nvidia closing off g-sync to just nvidia cards. 

People already said it but I'll say it again, G-sync is a chip and that makes it a little more hardware based than freesync so it's not as easy as just unlocking the feature set.

I understand that G-sync has a module that monitor manufacturers license from Nvidia, but since the monitor panel is capable of variable refresh, could the monitor support FreeSync as well?

17 minutes ago, DoyleB said:

I understand that G-sync has a module that monitor manufacturers license from Nvidia, but since the monitor panel is capable of variable refresh, could the monitor support FreeSync as well?

It might be able to but it's really made specifically for nvidia stuff.

Do you have a g-sync display and are wanting to buy vega 7 or something?

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

3 hours ago, mxk. said:

It might be able to but it's really made specifically for nvidia stuff.

Do you have a g-sync display and are wanting to buy vega 7 or something?

Yeah, as I stated in my original post, I just bought an Acer X34 monitor for Christmas... then CES happened announcing nvidia supporting FreeSync (which I imagine could hurt G-Sync monitor sales), and AMD announced Radeon VII. 

Most people wouldn't pay the extra $200 for a Gsync panel unless they expressly wanted to run a GeForce card. With you being the rare exception there is no market for that. Furthermore, the panel would have to be shipped back to the manufacturer for a firmware update for freesync.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

9 hours ago, asand1 said:

Most people wouldn't pay the extra $200 for a Gsync panel unless they expressly wanted to run a GeForce card. With you being the rare exception there is no market for that. Furthermore, the panel would have to be shipped back to the manufacturer for a firmware update for freesync.

I doubt I’m a rare exception. I imagine anyone who has bought a g-sync monitor would like to have the option of picking their next graphics card based on the performance and price rather than being locked in because of the monitor that they already own. It used to be just something that had to be dealt with because either adaptive sync tech would lock you in (FreeSync or G-Sync) but now some FreeSync monitors will work with nvidia.

With that new information, I would probably buy a G-sync “certified” monitor so I’d have the freedom to pick because even if at the day of purchase an nvidia gpu makes the most sense it doesn’t mean nvidia will have the best card during the next upgrade (people probably upgrade GPUs more often than monitors). 

Because of that I think many people will make a similar decision. This potentially will hurt g-sync monitor sales. The fact that it could hurt sales is the only reason I would think monitor makers would consider unlocking FreeSync if it’s technologically feasible. 

3 hours ago, DoyleB said:

I doubt I’m a rare exception. I imagine anyone who has bought a g-sync monitor would like to have the option of picking their next graphics card based on the performance and price rather than being locked in because of the monitor that they already own. It used to be just something that had to be dealt with because either adaptive sync tech would lock you in (FreeSync or G-Sync) but now some FreeSync monitors will work with nvidia.

With that new information, I would probably buy a G-sync “certified” monitor so I’d have the freedom to pick because even if at the day of purchase an nvidia gpu makes the most sense it doesn’t mean nvidia will have the best card during the next upgrade (people probably upgrade GPUs more often than monitors). 

Because of that I think many people will make a similar decision. This potentially will hurt g-sync monitor sales. The fact that it could hurt sales is the only reason I would think monitor makers would consider unlocking FreeSync if it’s technologically feasible. 

Illogical, who would pay a $200 premium for Gsync in a monitor and then worry about value with the GPU. If you bought the Gsync monitor you've proven that value is not important, therefore AMD GPUs are not your market.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Regardless if your GPU can push the frames then async is not needed anyway. Dropping well below the refresh of the monitor is where tearing happens.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;