First build in ~20 years. How am I doing?

Anacrusis

What is it intended for? PSU is a bit overkill for that build (nothing bad though, you could save 50 pounds though probably). Are you sure, 500GB are enough for you? Personally, I wouldn't go for the High Speed versions of those Fans - just more noise and little benefits. You really don't want to be forced to run them at full speed unless you have pretty good noise cancelling headphones.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

3 minutes ago, DxE said:

yeah... there are some things you couldn't know, but that aren't a good choise here. What would be your budget, location and preferences on it?

Just now, bowrilla said:

What is it intended for? PSU is a bit overkill for that build (nothing bad though, you could save 50 pounds though probably). Are you sure, 500GB are enough for you? Personally, I wouldn't go for the High Speed versions of those Fans - just more noise and little benefits. You really don't want to be forced to run them at full speed unless you have pretty good noise cancelling headphones.

50? almost 150...

23 minutes ago, DxE said:

-PSU is overkill, I'd strongly recommend Corsair RM650x(visit the PSU sub-forum of this forum, there is a pinned thread called PSU tier list. you can refer to that for good power supplies, I stick to tier 1 for normal builds and tier2-3 for budget builds I'm using an RM650x right now and under load, the thing is basically silent)

-Don't get any ROG products. They may be good but they are always overpriced. Includes motherboard and GPU.

-An NVME SSD has no real performance increase in normal tasks over a SATA SSD. For booting windows, it's like 5 seconds faster or something. For most games they're within 1-2 seconds of each other. Only real difference is when you do a lot of 4K video editing and have to move large files around regularly. I'd get a SATA SSD and increase the capacity since they're cheaper per GB

-Most use cases don't need 32GB of RAM, 16GB is enough for everyday use, light editing(depends on the program you use) and gaming.

-With the money saved by not buying ROG products and not getting such an overkill PSU, you could get an RTX 2080 instead of a 2060

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

also 1-2 seconds...

Really? I remember watching a video somewhere and it was something like 5 seconds. Either way not worth sacrificing half the capacity of your SSD just for a few seconds faster boot time.

Thanks for your replies...

I intend to use this for apps like Finale, Eclipse, and MS Office. And for gaming titles like Civ-6, X-Plane 11, and VR Racing Sims.

I have a 6tb WD blue drive I'm going to use with it.

Great feedback on the PSU and extra fans. Would an 850 PSU cover it? any recommendations?

G.

3 minutes ago, DxE said:

Thanks for your replies...

I intend to use this for apps like Finale, Eclipse, and MS Office. And for gaming titles like Civ-6, X-Plane 11, and VR Racing Sims.

I have a 6tb WD blue drive I'm going to use with it.

Great feedback on the PSU and extra fans. Would an 850 PSU cover it? any recommendations?

G.

850 is still slightly overkill, but it's fine. I'd say Corsair RM850x, but it seems like they're not available on any UK e-retailer's website according to pcpartpicker. Use the PSU tier list and get a power supply from there, it's a good list to refer to. Stick to tier 1 for this build.

Something like this maybe?

A quick Google search tells me, that you don't have any special hardware requirements for that kind of software. Just the regular stuff.

Maybe look into ryzen 7 2700 (way cheaper for minor performance decrease in single threaded workloads) or i7 8700k if you can get it for less than the 9700. 

Your overall budget is around 2400 £? 

You don't even need 850W for that. A 650W will cover you for pretty much anything (Unless you wanted SLI etc).

What is your budget ?

Many thanks again for all your input.

I've decided to take your advice and downgrade to a 750 PSU and switch the fans to the standard SilentWings3.
I'm going to stick with the 9700k because it's only £15 more expensive than the 8700K. 

Regarding my monitor choice of the Asus - PG279Q ROG Swift (27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz),  is there a cheaper alternative I should consider if my minimum requirements are...

• 1080p
  • 144 hz
  • IPS
  • 27"
  • G-Sync

Thanks,

G.