OMG Singapore!!

Galion

I'm supposed to fly to Singapore to go for a conference about digital animation next month, I got surprised by their prices of pc parts in Singapore when I googled them. I took a look at the price I have to pay if I build Mt Galion Evo in Singapore, 

Here's the cheapest prices I got :

Raijintek Ophion Evo - $189(no steel panels) 

Ryzen R2600 - $200

Silverstone td02 - slim - $89

MSI B450i gaming plus ac - $229

G.skill trident z ddr4 3000mhz cl16 16gb - $214

Zotac GTX 1080 8gb mini - $718

Western digital black m.2 nvme 250gb ssd - $105

T-force gaming delta s 1tb ssd - $248

Corsair SF600 600w 80 + platinum - $205

Thermaltake Riing Trios 120mm RGB Fans triple pack - $160

Total $SGD2357 - (No OS or mouse/keyboard) 

When I build it it didn't cost me more then $USD1400 (with OS) 

I'm supposed to stay in Singapore for a month, now I'm wondering if my $5k allowance and rent for the month will be enough. 

Anyone in here from Singapore? 

How's the weather in Singapore? 

How's the food? 

Are there any game shops? 

Best Value Build List

Budget 1080p System (RGB) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7v2Lmq - (this build comes with two free games with the RX 570) 

10 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

oh hmm what is this? o_o

yeaaaaaah it's mostly imports ._. not sure about the stock keeping strategy for the US (maybe they have a warehouse for parts local to the continent?), but we have distributors ordering stuff from warehouses in taiwan/shanghai

most of my current build is from Amazon US ._.

• eehhhh check airbnb? hard to comment as someone who doesn't see the need to get an airbnb a few kilos from home ._.
    • foodwise you should do fine for about 10 SGD per meal in food centers everywhere (plus a drink)
  • pretty windy and rainy right now o_o bring an umbrella
    • have a look at google streetview to have a rough idea if your route by foot is mostly sheltered
    • also download Uber or Grab
  • game shops as in shops selling physical game CDs, or LAN gaming shops?
    • keep an eye out for tech hardware stores. if they sell consoles they should have games as well
    • (mostly Challenger, but I'm not kinda familiar with all their outlets to know if all of them does physical copies of games)

go have a look at /r/singapore on reddit if you need another community for second opinions. they're pretty active and adequately moderated

I meant as in Lan gaming, I'll not be able to bring Galion Evo with me probly just my laptop a caneras

Best Value Build List

Budget 1080p System (RGB) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7v2Lmq - (this build comes with two free games with the RX 570) 

$10 a meal seems cheap, I eat at least 2 grande burrito just for lunch and each cost me like $8 

I've arranged a bnb for the month, I'm suppose to pay the lady $900 for a month,wifi and air conditioning provided. 

Best Value Build List

Few very close friends were out there for few weeks recently. There is a good reason why it's considered to be the most expensive city to live in. Basically everything is very expensive and they have strict laws for everything. From chewing gums (which are illegal), feeding wild animals to standing on the toilet board. I am not even making this up. $5k should be enough and the weather is very humid.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just now, Bouzoo said:

Few very close friends were out there for few weeks recently. There is a good reason why it's considered to be the most expensive city to live in. Basically everything is very expensive and they have strict laws for everything. From chewing gums (which are illegal), feeding wild animals to standing on the toilet board. I am not even making this up. $5k should be enough and the weather is very humid.

chewing gum isn't illegal, just selling it or spitting it out anywhere you like(which would just count under littering). the laws about toilets needing to be flushed and such are completely unenforced. food isn't that bad, S$5-7 is enough for lunch and dinner at the food courts.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

Well that's good news for me  on the cash side, are there many wild animals there I thought Singapore was a iron city? What don't smoke nor chew gum so I should be ok but I hope Singapore food has some spice, or else I'll have to bring a few bottles of saracha with me. 

Best Value Build List

7 minutes ago, Galion said:

Well that's good news for me  on the cash side, are there many wild animals there I thought Singapore was a iron city? What don't smoke nor chew gum so I should be ok but I hope Singapore food has some spice, or else I'll have to bring a few bottles of saracha with me. 

you'll find birds everywhere but not much else in the city. cats can be somewhat common in HDB apartments. chewing gum and smoking is fine but you'll need to lookup which places you can't smoke.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

5000 US$ sounds reasonable for a month in Singapore.

Electronic parts can be a very misleading way to measure cost of living. You should be able to buy electronics cheaper online.

The weather in Singapore is usually hot and humid but you get unexpected rainstorms sometimes.

If you're experimental with food, you'll be very happy. You can find everything from western to Chinese cuisine. In this case I'd recommend you to go to smaller local places and markets. If you don't like exotic food choices or you need a break from Chinese food, you'll spend your time in the more expensive neighborhoods, so what you spend on food depends a lot on where you go. I would definitely recommend to spend some time in Malaysia as well. You can even go over the border to Johor Bahru just to eat there and visit the markets.

Edit: Oh and have fun trying Durian. It's an extremely tasty food according to the locals (According to me it tastes like bin and you'll never get the smell out of a room anymore if you opened a Durian there.

24 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

chewing gum isn't illegal, just selling it or spitting it out anywhere you like(which would just count under littering). the laws about toilets needing to be flushed and such are completely unenforced. food isn't that bad, S$5-7 is enough for lunch and dinner at the food courts.

They didn't let them to bring chewing gum in the country, they literally told them it was forbidden. Oh right yeah, the toilet thing is not a law, there are  just warnings that the videos may be uploaded for public humiliation? 

Just now, Bouzoo said:

They didn't let them to bring chewing gum in the country, they literally told them it was forbidden.

they don't go out of their way to get rid of it, everyone here has bought them in overseas before. i've done it at least a dozen times without issue. if you really want to play safe then just get dental chewing gum.

9 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

where/when exactly is this ._. we don't have CCTVs in toilets past the gender entrance

I have to double check that. They literally told me that a week ago, which was weird and disturbing in it's own way.

I actually just got back from Singapore.

One tip shared by a family member who lives there is to check online for pricing and take advantage of any coupons/offers that are available.

There’s a reason why many of my Singapore-based friends have told me to refrain from buying stuff in SG unless it’s something I can’t find back home. It’s pricey.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1