RUST found on Vega 64 **Help Needed**

colmanhymx

So I’ve recently picked up a used XFX Vega 64 Air cooled variant for around $200usd (roughly converted from my local currency) and the seller gave me 10ish days to fully test, strip and clean the card before paying the other 50% of the card after paying the first 50% via a bank transfer.

I’ve ran the card on multiple test, ie 3DMARK, furmark etc, I got around 7600points in 3DMARK for the graphics card alone, and the stats in furmark is shown in one of the pics.

After that, I tore open the card, and found a lot of rust on the two Resistors near the fan, and a fair bit of corrosion on the heat sink. There’s also a little rust on the sides of the resistors near the dye, and a little bit on the io plate. 

Oh and the connector to the leds of the Radeon logo is lost, will it cause any issues?

I was wondering if anyone had the same issues and will rust on the resistors affect the card in the long term, and that if there’s any solution to it.

thanks for all your kind help!

4D98C95A-FE0F-466C-9481-11FD469E40A0.jpeg

9C1775DC-A334-44F9-A57F-C8244CD36CA1.jpeg

A6986A96-A1D2-46DF-B53B-009CFBA233A3.jpeg

Oh and another thing is that the sound is always stuttering, I use the monitor’s speaker via a hdmi cable. The monitor speaker is fine because sound from my PS4 is normal, just the pc is very rough and stutters a lot

4 minutes ago, igan3w_ said:

After that, I tore open the card, and found a lot of rust on the two Resistors near the fan, and a fair bit of corrosion on the heat sink. There’s also a little rust on the sides of the resistors near the dye, and a little bit on the io plate. 

Those are inductors, not resistors. If I were you, I'd inspect the card carefully to see if there's any corrosion on the solder-joints on any other components. You can try to clean up any corrosion and rust with isopropyl alcohol, but the damage may already be done.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Looks like water damage from being left in a damp room? Could be fine if only cosmetic/surface. But could be worse elsewhere, any full pics?

5 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

warranty? 

I don’t think a RMA can be done as the little sticker on the screw that’s says void when broken is broken already when I got the card

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Those are inductors, not resistors. If I were you, I'd inspect the card carefully to see if there's any corrosion on the solder-joints on any other components. You can try to clean up any corrosion and rust with isopropyl alcohol, but the damage may already be done.

I cleaned off the card by wiping with 95% alcohol as that the highest purity I have on hand, I cleaned the dust buildups on the joints of the inductors as must as possible, and it seemed okay-ish, I’ll post more pics of the pcb later

5 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Looks like water damage from being left in a damp room? Could be fine if only cosmetic/surface. But could be worse elsewhere, any full pics?

It was used to mine before I got it, mined for around less than a year I think, as the card was purchased on 10/3/2018. I suspect that it was caused by the High humidity here where I live. Tried wiping if off with alcohol and a piece of tissue, got some off but still a lot left. Will post more pics later 

On 1/17/2019 at 11:09 PM, TechyBen said:

Sorry for very late reply, very busy weekend.

9200F720-7DAC-4E7D-8E93-E754B37A50A6.jpeg

1482232A-A098-4265-BC6D-952F2A2F4425.jpeg

AACF153E-9D8B-41B2-B23A-CFE8BC45E5F5.jpeg

On 1/17/2019 at 11:07 PM, WereCatf said:

Oh and another thing is that after updating the drivers and gpu bios, it not instantly restarts when I run furmark, but is fine if I game on it. I don’t think it’s an psu issue as I have a RM850i and that my old gpu, a 390 which has around same power consumption ran furmark just fine.

Seems like it's overly cooked/heat stressed etc. As in, it's hit it's near end of life. (A total guess from me though XD )

18 hours ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

As the seller gave you 10 days to test it before keeping or refunding, I would do that. The card is obviously damaged.

17 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Seems like it's overly cooked/heat stressed etc. As in, it's hit it's near end of life. (A total guess from me though XD )

The seller just offered to give me another card, one with warranty, and that the warranty stickers are not broken at the same price. Should I take the offer?

4 hours ago, igan3w_ said:

The seller just offered to give me another card, one with warranty, and that the warranty stickers are not broken at the same price. Should I take the offer?

sounds good

Dont risk and change it.. not worth to fry other components cuase of that card

i7-8086K, Strix Z370E-Gaming, G.Skill Trident 32gb 3000MHZ CL 14, Strix 1080 Ti OC, Corsair HX1000i, Obsidian 1000D, Corsair Hydro X custom loop, 13x Corsair LL120, Corsair Lighting Node Pro, 2x SSD Adata SU800 3DNand - 1tb and 128gb, 1Tb WD Blue, Cable Mod Full Cable Kit, Monitor Asus XG27VQ 144Mhz Curved

2 hours ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

@igan3w_ Yes, take that deal. The card you bought IS defective and a disaster waiting to happen. Hopefully the other card is in better condition.

1 hour ago, Enochian said:

Dont risk and change it.. not worth to fry other components cuase of that card

Thanks for the advice. Swap is happening tomorrow. Will post pics of new card once the seller send them over sometime later today. 

Anything you would suggest me to test after getting the new card? Ie things to look for, stress tests to run? As I plan on water cooling it, and as taking off the cooler voids the warranty, if there’s any problem with the card, I would like to rma the card beforehand. Thanks for all your help!

Give it a good ocular look over and put it thru it's paces in stress tests for hours at end and if it holds up, all is good.

2 minutes ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Give it a good ocular look over and put it thru it's paces in stress tests for hours at end and if it holds up, all is good.

Just got the photos from the seller, pcb seems fine, screws don’t seem discoloured, anything I missed?

8F9B6CA1-02F6-405D-8799-83DA72498A32.jpeg

19F3344D-C3EE-40FB-9DC0-0BC9EA2A601D.jpeg

F6302F10-F837-4495-8AFB-E03FE88566E0.jpeg

BAB1BB72-936A-4C8E-B12B-413E826A2BEF.jpeg

D0EFE800-5F6B-4483-9948-F69508253FFA.jpeg

23 hours ago, igan3w_ said:

Everything other than this card is better.

Although it might look like the factory might have messed it up, if the Card is run in a moist enviroment, that is a problem because ceramic caps don't like no moisture...

To be honest: A Refund would be the best but a Card with Warranty is the second best...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

7 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Everything other than this card is better.

Although it might look like the factory might have messed it up, if the Card is run in a moist enviroment, that is a problem because ceramic caps don't like no moisture...

To be honest: A Refund would be the best but a Card with Warranty is the second best...

Yeah, I had the same thought that my current card is ran in a very moist environment. Yeah, maybe getting a refund is a solution with less hassle, but at around 200usd for a Vega 64 is a pretty good deal, as it still comes with warranty, as for that same price, if I went to the shops and opt for a new card, I think I can only get like a 1050ti or a 1060 3G from an unpopular manufacturer, which makes no sense for me to upgrade from my current 390.