I've created a monster. Need Advice for VR flight sim

Confused2018

I wasnt sure if I should add this to my previous post, but, I thought start fresh.

Location is Canada.  Budget is approx $1500 CDN - $2000. (Don't ask). There will not be ugrading for a good long while after this.

The 3D head gear is seperate to the PC cost. Oculus or????

I've been reading and reading, and I think that I have completly confused myself.

CPU Something in the 4 to 5 ghz range or???

How Many cores? 6 or 8? I think 4 Cores is falling away?

Ram higher freq is better ?

A reliable M/B ?

For the 3D headsets no idea.

VRM ?

# of phases...whaaat?

I my brother will not get into  over clocking.  He would call me for that. And I would be very cautious with O/C

I am sorry, but really I have no idea now which direction to take.

Should I be posting this on a VR forum? 

I did find this page, but, again what is good?

Logicalincrements.com

http://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/vrguide

Thanks for reading and suggestions

What simulators do you use?

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

59 minutes ago, Confused2018 said:

-snip-

Step back and take a breather. Here's a PC part picker list that would be MORE than satisfactory for buttery smooth VR gaming. 1505 USD is about 2000 CDN. You COULD go cheaper and switch out the RTX 2080 with and RTX 2070 or GTX 1070.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

37 minutes ago, Confused2018 said:

The 3D head gear is seperate to the PC cost. Oculus or????

The PC I'm want to build for this very thing will be over your budget, glad @CharminUltraStrong gave a list. As for headsets, I'm more inclined to recommend the PiMax 5k+. Wider angle, higher resolution, and a lot less screen door. You'll want to be able to read your gauges and panels in the sim (I'm assuming xPlane 11) and enjoy the view too. I think the PiMax VR Headsets give a more realistic viewing angle of what you'd see in real life. Last I knew, you could buy used HTC Vive controllers and base stations and use those with the PiMax. Since you're simming, you'd be sitting and would realistically only need one base station. Just my two cents here.

12 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

The PC I'm want to build for this very thing will be over your budget, glad @CharminUltraStrong gave a list. As for headsets, I'm more inclined to recommend the PiMax 5k+. Wider angle, higher resolution, and a lot less screen door. You'll want to be able to read your gauges and panels in the sim (I'm assuming xPlane 11) and enjoy the view too. I think the PiMax VR Headsets give a more realistic viewing angle of what you'd see in real life. Last I knew, you could buy used HTC Vive controllers and base stations and use those with the PiMax. Since you're simming, you'd be sitting and would realistically only need one base station. Just my two cents here.

Pimak 5k+ isn't in consumer hands yet so the only logical choice would be the HTC Vive.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

Thank You both.

I also found a part picker on the Logicalincrements page after posting this(of course).  Can not link to it for some reason.

Sims are:

IL-1946 Patched and eventually IL-2 BOM/BOS.  Not sure about DCS.  Though the F-14 that was just released looks amazing!

IL-2 1946 can be run in VR with Opentrack and Vorpx. Supposedly.  I'm not sure about Vorpx? 

You can also get VR on Stream with BOM & BOS(I am not sure how as I/we do not use Steam)

Well, thanks to everyone, I am learning quite a bit.

Thanks everyone.

46 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Pimak 5k+ isn't in consumer hands yet so the only logical choice would be the HTC Vive.

It's available for preorder though, I say it's well worth the wait for what it is. Should be mid to late February when they finally ship (that is, per the internet).

11 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

It's available for preorder though, I say it's well worth the wait for what it is. Should be mid to late February when they finally ship (that is, per the internet).

I'd wait until the guinea pigs get a hold of it. The Vive has a massive community and plenty of support behind it, definitely better for a first time user.

The Louvre

3 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

I'd wait until the guinea pigs get a hold of it. The Vive has a massive community and plenty of support behind it, definitely better for a first time user.

I think there's backers that have them and quite a few VR reviewers who have them as well (since last year). As time goes on, support seems to get better and better. By the time I have enough money to make the plunge myself, they'll have long since been released and I'm going nose first personally.

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

I think there's backers that have them and quite a few VR reviewers who have them as well (since last year). As time goes on, support seems to get better and better. By the time I have enough money to make the plunge myself, they'll have long since been released and I'm going nose first personally.

But they're not available for full consumer testing, they've made improvements but they have nowhere near the kind of following/support that the vive has.

The Louvre

1 minute ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

they have nowhere near the kind of following/support that the vive has.

Which strikes me as odd. I wasn't at all into VR until I learned you could do it with XPlane 11. But when I saw what VR was like with current headsets, it was clear that it wasn't as immersive as it could be. But then when the PiMax came along, my thoughts on that changed. Whenever I look at VR games, they mostly seem to be casual, nothing like what my intent is. Which again, strikes me as odd. I would think people would love play their favourite FPS in first person mode using VR. But maybe I'm misinterpreting what VR is all about altogether.

I'd very much like to try a good flight sime with VR, see what it brings.  A FPS seems like a very  good match. 

As for the system, I would love to present a 2K system, but, I think that I will try to downgrade in a few spots.

The case and the GPU for example.

TBH, I never expected a request for a VR capable system.  Boy was I surprised.