Why join Floatplane?

Sprayingmango

The Floatplane section of the forum is only accessible if you subscribed through the forum. I've not been told anything specific, but I would imagine that it will be removed once the migration is complete, because there won't be any point to it.

Synchronisation the other way, floatplane -> forum, is probably going to happen at some point, but it's not supported at the moment, and I don't know what features it would have when it does come.

HTTP/2 203

• 1 month later...

Well I just subscribed to LTT on Floatplane in order to specifically support LTT, but it feels like a project that's been abandoned. ? There a few "exclusive" vids that are handheld walk arounds and seem under produced, but thats about it for exclusivity (I did see the Aliexpress (IFuxit lol) vs Ifixit video - thats a really good exclusive). But I also thought that one of the perks would be vids for LTT being released there first. No? "The Fastest Gaming Laptop We've Ever Tested!" already is up on Youtube but not Floatplane. And what about the other channels spun off LTT, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked - do we not get those at all?

I guess maybe I've missed the "mission" of this platform. I'll continue to support LTT here, because, well, HUGE fan, but likely will just watch all the vids on Youtube so I don't miss anything.

I'll never recommend it. I've had countless problems with it and I am still facing them..

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

On 1/13/2019 at 11:45 PM, Keith W said:

I would like to know what the thinking was behind the name Floatplane

Have you heard of Vessel? It was a similar concept. Then Vessel was shut down. So then Vessel "sank". They came up with the name Floatplane because it can't sink.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

So if a Amaetur Content Creator wants to join floatplane for Exclusives is it possible or is it Invitational Only

Considering how floatplane works i think its Invitational Considering Most people wont spend money on a Amaetur and if he is not getting the traffic then it will be a waste because he is taking up space in the Platfom

**Update: Well it appears most of the my post above has been aggressively disproven. (and that's a GOOD thing!) Seeing TQ and TL vids and any number of videos are being posted on Floatplane a week or a few days prior to Youtube. Luke has also been clear that "we're not marketing this...", yet. 

And I've never had connection speed issues thus far. I do use PIA VPN through Toronto. Not sure if that's helping.

Keep up the great work guys!

On 1/13/2019 at 5:39 PM, Sprayingmango said:

Yeah the forum is gone. I was an early Floatplane sub last year, and let it lapse. So I joined again to see what it's like now that it's on a new domain. Don't really see a point to it now. I did enjoy the exclusive streams that they used to do and the conversations on the private forum were really nice. I felt like they were almost worth more than getting the videos early. I guess CES vids couldn't really be a week early because it's more time sensitive, so that's a good point. 

I'm aleady a YouTube Premium / Red or whatever subscriber so I don't see extra ads, only the baked in ones. 

the private forum was nothing more then the comment section on float plane is now, i dont really understand how that is a downgrade

On 1/13/2019 at 10:27 AM, imreloadin said:

I'm glad you think money is more important than integrity, most would disagree with you however.

And that's why they'll never get a dime from me for Floatplane or ad revenue on YouTube xD

The idea that making a ridiculous photo is a loss of integrity is pretty extreme...

Do you know of another large youtuber who doesn't do this?

Without steady income, there are no writers, no HDR Cameras, etc...