12V 3A powersupply adaptor

Omjones

Long story, I am taking an old beige broken CRT monitor and replacing the screen with a thin LCD and putting a pc in the back (imagine old imac but beige sleeper)

The new screen control board needs a standard 12V 3A plug, are there any adaptors so I can run it off the powersupply and only have 1 lead going into the case? (something like the PCIE to molex converter but a lot more niche)

1 minute ago, Snipergod87 said:

Just convert the molex cable yourself strip the wiring and connect it properly.

I was hoping something exists so I don't have to do that. I take this as a no then

all cables coming from the PSU have atleast one 12V wire, so really you can take any cable you don't use and cut it.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 minute ago, Omjones said:

I was hoping something exists so I don't have to do that. I take this as a no then

81A0ZiVKfAL._SX425_.jpg

is this what you're talking about?

1 minute ago, syn2112 said:

81A0ZiVKfAL._SX425_.jpg

is this what you're talking about?

YES! that looks like it would work. What would it be called or do you have a link?

1 minute ago, Omjones said:

Thank you!

I assume I would have to add some resistors in to the red wire to meet the 3amps I need

resistors? why would you add resistors wtf? that makes no sense

2 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

resistors? why would you add resistors wtf? that makes no sense

In my understanding molex outputs 12V 11A,I assumed that is what this adaptor would also give me. Wouldn't this mean my display that wants 12V 3A gets way too much power or does it not work that way?

7 minutes ago, Omjones said:

In my understanding molex outputs 12V 11A,I assumed that is what this adaptor would also give me. Wouldn't this mean my display that wants 12V 3A gets way too much power or does it not work that way?

The display would draw what it wants to draw, doesn't matter if you supply it with 100A or 200A, it will only draw 3A.

And I doubt that it draws 3A, it probably draws much less than that but it requires a 3 Amp power supply so the power supply won't shut itself down because of overcurrent protection. 

Never ever install resistors to limit the current (unless you know what you're doing ofc)

2 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

The display would draw what it wants to draw, doesn't matter if you supply it with 100A or 200A, it will only draw 3A.

And I doubt that it draws 3A, it probably draws much less than that but it requires a 3 Amp power supply so the power supply won't shut itself down because of overcurrent protection. 

Never ever install resistors to limit the current (unless you know what you're doing ofc)

AHHH, okay

That makes much more sense, thanks a lot